Quinoa For Breakfast??

Options

Replies

• hippikris
    hippikris Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    just an update , I tried quinoa, cooked in Almond Milk. with cinnamon, and what ever fruits you would like, I used cranberries and Peaches. I hadded a little honey for a bit of sweetness. it was so good. very hearty breakfast. thanks again for all of the suggestions, I will be sure to try all of the great ideas offered.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    My four usual quinoa breakfast combos are:

1) Mixed with a tablespoon peanut butter and a tablespoon honey;
    2) The above, with a sliced banana mushed in;
    3) Topped by a poached egg (and maybe a little salt) - if you're not too sick of your eggs;
    4) Wrapped up with a whole wheat tortilla (gluten-free in your case!), PB, and banana.
    1)YUM
    2)YUM
    3)YUM!
    4)YUM
    All great suggestions!
  • sperika
    sperika Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    1)YUM
    2)YUM
    3)YUM!
    4)YUM
    All great suggestions!

To sum up, PB makes everything better. :)
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I saw a recipe for a fruit and yogurt parfait with quinoa in it... so I am assuming yes you can have it for breakfast!
  • celadontea
    celadontea Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I eat the Ancient Harvest: Quinoa Flakes as a normal hot breakfast cereal. It cooks up quickly and is very healthful and delicious. I add berries and soymilk/ almond milk usually. Love it!
  • hippikris
    Options
    I will have to look for the flakes, that sounds good.
  • takerbrat
    takerbrat Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I noticed that many of the recipes posted are sweet, if you are looking for something on the savoury side this recipe is clean and versatile - try it with a side salad for a light lunch, use it as a side dish to salmon, chicken or pork kebabs to get your protein numbers up, AND have the left-overs for breakfast! Spanakopita Frittata - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/takerbrat/view/spanakopita-frittata-576849
  • Equina
    Equina Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    bump
  • uthatswho
    Options
    Cooked in coconut milk it turns out like oatmeal. Toss in some blueberries after it's done cooking.
  • hippikris
    Options
    oh coconut milk may be good. thanks for that info.
  • BrenB150
    BrenB150 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Bumping for recipes! Love quinoa!
  • DCruz83
    Options
    I ate quinoa for breakfast for quite a while and I loved it! I'd use real maple syrup to sweeten it up, added directly when I cooked it, and to change things I would alternate between different frozen fruits, I found peach and pineapple usually worked better than berries, fresh apples and raisins also seem perfect!
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I just started using quinoa and they are my replacement for rice. I also add them to salads to get in some extra protein. I know people also make roti(pancakes) using quinoa flour.
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I make a protein pancake using a serving of quinoa flakes and 6 egg whites. I mix it up and then I put this in a pan with some melted coconut oil. It takes just a couple of minutes to cook. I put it on a plate with some sugar free syrup and sometimes a 1/4 cup of blueberries.

I also use uncooked oatmeal and cook it the same way. I saw this on a fitness site a while back.
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I made this once last year--it makes a rather huge batch (I think I ended up freezing some!) so you might want to try cutting the recipe in half. It is not super sweet, as noted in the post (I thought it was sweet enough but my husband thought it was disgusting).

http://www.eatyrgreens.com/spiced-pumpkin-quinoa-breakfast-porridge-with-pistachios/
  • princesspita
    princesspita Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You can eat oats as they do not contain gluten. Just make sure you purchase oats that are certified as gluten free. Otherwise, the oats may be cross contaminated due to the way they were processed.

Typical breakfast for me is 3 eggs and turkey bacon and a piece of homemade gluten free toast. Sometimes I'll do a bowl of Rice chex and add a scoop of protein isolate (vanilla or chocolate) into the cereal. Of course other options for breakfast are yogurt, cottage cheese, grits (with whatever in it that you like). My favorite go to breakfast is Cocoa Pebbles, although I only have it maybe 4 or 5 times a year.

These are all gluten free options! :)
  • kc7175
    Options
    http://www.wholeliving.com/216570/cardamom-quinoa-porridge

You will find TONS of gluten free recipes on the whole living website.
  • nicoleisback
    Options
    I make it up like porridge using shredded quinoa as a start. I heat it up with some milk and cinnamon, then add some banana slices on top when it is done. It works well as porridge, but it REALLY needs some flavour added or else it is just too bland
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kelbelll83
    Options
    When I first bought Quinoa I had no idea how to eat it lol. The only reason I bought it was bc I kept reading about how good it was for you. I forgot which magazine I found this recipe in but I use at least once a week for breakfast.
    Sorry, I know you said you were sick of eggs but you might like them this way.

These are just the main ingredients. You can add other stuff like garlic, s&p if you like.

1 cup of spinach leafs
    2 eggs
    1/4 cup cooked quinoa

Cook spinach on a medium heated skillet, let it sit for 10 seconds, then add the eggs and start beating them quickly towards the center of the pan with a wooden spoon.
    When the eggs looked nearly cooked, add quiona to skillet. Mix in well.

It's really easy and healthy. I remember the recipe used some Parmesan cheese too. I just add some pepper but you can play around with it.