Help!!!! I'm not getting anywhere,

Options
I don't loose weight , I've tried various clubs,I don't think I eat a great seal un healthy but it won't shift? I have recently bought an activity monitor which states my BMR should be 1900 calories , I have reduced this to 1400 in hope of loosing the weight but nothing ?? I am burning off around 2200 a day what is going wrong ??

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Wot no open diary ?

You might have elevated insulin levels by grazing on carbs all day, that inhibits fat loss. Or lack of sleep, stress, etc.

Maybe your thyroid is screwed giving you a lower BMR than you expect.

Or maybe you're eating more than you think.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Let's start with the basics. How accurate is your logging? Are you weighing and measuring your portions? And do you have any medical conditions that might be inhibiting your weight loss?
  • gabrielasrz
    Options
    Hi, are you sleeping 8 hours per day? are you tracking your calories intake? are you working out and drinking half your weight in water? Those are some simple things that could make a big difference in your weight loss process.
    Gabby
  • samammay
    Options
    99% of people not losing weight are not losing weight because they are not at a calorie deficit.

How accurate are you logging? Do you measure your foods with a scale? All of them? Are you eating your exercise calories back?

Are you sure that is your BMR? My is 2050 and i'm a 6', 230 lb male. Sounds a little high to me based off of the little information I have.
  • SJcook40
    SJcook40 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I m 41 yrs old , 102kg and 5,9 inch , the scooby calculator has advised my BMR should be 1750 and my calorie intake to loose weight should be 1925 I don't understand it all? So if I eat 1750 and worked out I'd loose writ right? If I don't work out but reduce my calorie intake to 1400 would I loose weight ? If I eat 1750 and the exercise loosing say 500 calories why should I eat the 500 back how will that help loose weight?veryconfused.com
  • jazzerciseN
    Options
    Calm down! You're too worked up about calories. When I went thru this, it was because I wasn't accurately logging my food intake and I was actually eating a lot more than I thought. You have to find the right amount of calories for you. Unless you're lifting super heavy or running excessively, I wouldn't worry about eating back the calories you burn exercising. Working out is important to weight loss, but not as important as diet and nutrition. Lean protein, veggies, and complex carbs...in that order.
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    The calculators are just a guide, since everyone's metabolism is different, and we can usually only estimate our lean body mass and our activity levels. Now that said, you're a tall lady and 1750-1950 calories sounds pretty reasonable to me.

If you are letting MFP calculate your calories, then it has already taken some calories away to help you lose weight. You exercise to get fitter, and in doing so burn more calories. You're supposed to eat them back so that you don't have too big a deficit - basically because it's healthier to have a smaller deficit. It's easier to get all your vitamins and minerals, you're more likely to feel satisfied and stick with it, you're less likely to lose large amounts of muscle (which in the long run makes it harder to lose weight).

If you're using a calculator to work out your Total Daily Energy Expenditure, then you've already counted your exercise at the beginning, so you don't need to eat back exercise calories. It works out about the same, you're just doing the maths in a different order.

Now that said, the calorie goal is an estimate, and the way to see if you need to raise or lower it is to stick to it very strictly for a month or so. Take measurements and weigh in before and after. If you're not losing, you need to eat less. If you're losing very quickly, you should consider eating more. You are advised not to eat less than your BMR because your body still needs nutrients and fuel.

HOWEVER - and this is really important - when people say they aren't losing at the suggested number of calories, most of the time it's because they are eating more than they think. Weigh everything that goes into your mouth. Never eyeball portions. Things like cereal, or butter on your toast - they add up fast and almost everyone eats way more than the portion size written on the pack. So you need to be as accurate as possible, or you'll never know if your numbers are right. Ate three m and ms? Log them. Sugar in that tea? Log it? Munched a cookie on the way to bed.... you guessed it! Log it.

If you are trying to lose a lb a week, you need to eat 500cals less than you burn per day (averaged over the week). 500 cals is less than you think. It is easy to overeat by a few hundred and not even notice.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I entered your information into Scooby's calculator under the assumption that you have 1-3 hrs of light exercise per week, and a 20% reduction from your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure- AKA maintenance calories):

BMR (which is what your body needs at a minimum to function properly): 1755

Daily calories to maintain weight (TDEE): 2413

Daily calories based on goal in step 6: 1930

This means if you eat 1,930 calories a day you will still lose weight. I could be wrong on this next part, but I believe a 20% reduction from TDEE = about 2lbs/week weight loss. Do not reduce to 1400 cals/day. That is too little for you.

If you want to follow the numbers above, do NOT eat back exercise calories. What I do (since I use TDEE) is enter all of my exercise as only one calorie burned, so that my "net" calories are not way off each day.

ETA: I also agree with the poster above me. Great minds think alike!
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Weigh and measure and log everything you put in your mouth. It's highly likely you're eating more than you think.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Weigh and measure and log everything you put in your mouth. It's highly likely you're eating more than you think.

^ this. she's very smart.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Here is a blog I wrote that describes how you lose weight on MFP's system of eating a calorie target plus exercise calories burned:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/mrsbigmack/view/finding-the-sweet-spot-452184
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    If you are logging your calories and eating at a deficit and have been doing this for weeks or months, it sure wouldn't hurt to talk to your doctor and have the basics checked out. I've known people who couldn't lose weight simply because of a health condition they had. You may fall into this category yourself.
  • jvbrooks
    jvbrooks Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    How long have you been not losing for?
  • SJcook40
    Options
    Think you for all yr comments I shall keep going with all the advice, 1950 calories it is ,that sounds loads !! Lol
  • SJcook40
    Options
    2 weeks, but I normally loose for 4 weeks and 7 lb then it stops, I loose interest and I'm back to where I started ! :(
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Hey,

THAT'S where the 1,950 will help you through. Just a liitle deficit in calories is enough to keep the weight coming off slowly and steadily for months on end without you getting hungry/exhausted/fed up/quitting.

Have a look at the success stories threads for proof it works. :smile:

Good luck with this!
  • jvbrooks
    jvbrooks Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You do need to give it more than 2 or 4 weeks, though.