Find a way to replace an activity with a workout!

Options
Now that daylight savings has started again I am riding my bike to work. 32km (20mi) with a big hill in the middle means I am burning 600 calories each way. So 1200 calories. What I realised is that the old "park further away and walk" advice is so true and can be taken to the next level!

Ride to Work if you can people!!!

When driving I spend 30 minutes in the car each way then go to the gym at work in the morning. I work out for around an hour and burn around 600 cal. So all up travel and work out is around 2 hours and 600 cal. When I ride it is about an hour and a quarter each way but I burn 1200 cal. SO all up 2 and a half hours and 1200 calories! Plus I save around $10 in fuel! So in a fortnight I will have saved $100 and burnt 12000 calories!!!

So if there is something that you do that can be done as a workout instead, do it!!! You will then reap the rewards in more ways than one!!!

Replies

• nancyggg
    nancyggg Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Very nice! WHat a smart person you are! Getting fit and saving money too!
  • fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    And less stress due to no more time spent in traffic!!! Bonus!
  • AnAbsoluteDiva
    AnAbsoluteDiva Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Daylight saving is about to end in the US but I'm going to follow your lead.

My driveway is a hilly 1500-foot trek. That's 457 meters to you.

I usually take my recycling and trash down to the curb in my truck.

This Friday, I'll carry it down. Going up and down that driveway with all those hills several times is sure to cause a burn - both hams and quads, not to mention the glutes.

Good post!