Coffee help!!

Options
Anyone have any ideas of what I can put in my coffee for less calories? I actually measured how many tablespoons I use of coffee-mate creamer and I use 6! And I could totally use more, which adds up to be at least 180 calories. I just can't do black coffee, and nonfat milk is gross to me. Ideas?! :)

Thanks!!

Replies

• bethinagain
    bethinagain Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Try a flavored non-dairy creamer. You might end up just putting 3 or 4 Tbsp instead of 6 of the regular flavor.
  • jrkingery
    jrkingery Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any ideas of what I can put in my coffee for less calories? I actually measured how many tablespoons I use of coffee-mate creamer and I use 6! And I could totally use more, which adds up to be at least 180 calories. I just can't do black coffee, and nonfat milk is gross to me. Ideas?! :)

Thanks!!

I use Splenda to sweeten and two of the portion control cups of regular unflavored half and half ( .5 fluid oz, 20 calories per). Grand total per 12 oz cup of coffee is about 44 calories.
  • nness73
    Options
    I use sugar free coffee creamer, i like it alot. Give it a try you might like it as well. It's low in calories.
  • seachelle
    seachelle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I use the sugar free
  • cmcclellan
    cmcclellan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    try using a half and half I kow it may be more cals but you may use less deu to it being thicker and more creamy
  • hozik
    hozik Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    try some whole or 2% organic milk-makes coffee creamy and gives you some protein and calcium. experiment to see how little you can get away with-I like 1/4-1/2 cup added to my 10 oz french drip coffee. 1/2 cup whole milk adds only 75 cals.
  • mrsjrich
    Options
    I actually switched to skim milk today and it wasn't bad! Non-dairy creamers (as someone said) are good. They even have fat-free varieties of the flavored creamers. I used to do take fat-free hot chocolate and use coffee like it was water. Eliminated added sugar or milk.
  • klmmoore
    klmmoore Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I use french Vanilla coffee mate and I only have to use 2 TBS for 60 cal.
  • nicolina823
    nicolina823 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I started to use Maxwell House Suisse Mocha sugar free. I love it and I use it in shakes and muffins as well.
  • dansu2000
    Options
    Almond milk and some Stevia is pretty good and very low cal
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I used to use cream until I realized the fat and calorie content! I agree, I just can't do black coffee so now buy Homo Milk (3.5 %), it takes me about 1/8 of a cup for it to taste right in my coffee and i drink 2 per morning. For the total of 1/4 cup it is only about 40 calories and Im not getting in anything unnatural like in the non dairy creamers or (shudder) powdered crap.
    I actually heat it up in the microwave for a moment so it makes my coffee nice and hot.
  • leliakate
    Options
    Use Blue Diamond Unsweetened Almond Milk-- Only 40 Calories in a CUP. Then sweeten with some Splenda. Use some Vanilla Extract of Cocoa Powder for flavor changing but no Calories. They also have flavored unsweetened Almond Milks that also have low calories...then you can add a sugar free creamer.

If you dont dig the taste-- try fat free half and half and some sweet and low.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I use fat-free half and half, it's 20 cals for 2 tablespoons. The only problem is, I have no idea what magic they use to make "fat-free" half and half! I've tried to cut it out because I try to be one of these "whole" food people, but I always go back to it. It's rich and creamy and unflavored. It's my indulgence for the day, oh well. :laugh:
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options

Thanks!!

WOW - that's ALOT of creamer. I would think that after a certain amount, the purpose is kind of lost.... :-/ I only use one and my coffee comes out way too blonde anyway. I just forget to dump some back into my cannister before putting in my coffee. :-p It might be fewer calories to try a tablespoon or two of cocoa and make it a mocha.
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I recently got into almond milk to make lattes. I get the unsweetened original but it does come sweetened or flavored with vanilla. Certain brands are only 40 cals in one cup! The sweetened versions have more obviously but with using very little to add to coffee, it can't be near what you were at before.
  • beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I use sugar free caramel flavored syrup and a little almond milk. so freaking good. tastes almost like an iced latte from starbucks :]
  • verbifyvenus
    verbifyvenus Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I agree with SUGAR FREE.

I use sugar free powdered vanilla and find I don't need to use any liquid half and half.

Plus Splenda. All for 32 calories :happy:
  • ysaidpie
    Options
    Soy milk. Silk vanilla. I use 4 tbs which amounts to 2 oz, 25 calories. It's very yummy! Adds some sweetness with the creaminess. Tastes 1000 times better than whole milk or skim milk. I still need to add sugar, but I am not willing to give up my sugar or substitute for artificial sweeteners. I used Splenda for 6 years, but got off it about a year ago as part of a health & fitness project in college (my goal was to eliminate artificial sweetners due to the carcinogenic effects- although Splenda I unproven, it is relatively new & therefore some degree of uncertainty to it's long term effects). Now I can't go back, anything other than real sugar tastes plain awful to me.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Do you drink coffee for the caffeine or for the taste? I take caffeine capsules which have 0 calories.
  • carolww
    carolww Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    You should experiment with some of the non-fat milks. They have improved a lot in recent times. You just need to look around for a good one. I don't know the brands in the US...