Mindless Eating

Options
My problem has always been eating while watching tv to such an extent that I'm really not aware of what or how much. If this happens to you I would love to hear what you do to control it.

Replies

• fatman
    Options
    My problem has always been eating while watching tv to such an extent that I'm really not aware of what or how much. If this happens to you I would love to hear what you do to control it.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    two tricks, one ruder than the other.

Stop eating in front of the tv. Only eat at a table, and with no distractions.
    (OK, that was the rude one)

I only allow myself to eat portion controlled snacks in front of the TV. So, for example I measure a cup of grapes in a bowl. Then I at least have to be mindful enough to get up and go get more. (I do the same with higher calorie snacks, like corn chips.)
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I agree with vivikay.

You have to portion control yourself before you sit in front of the boob tube. Get snack size baggies at the store and portion your snacks out ahead of time then you won't feel bad when you empty a bag!
  • Delindy
    Delindy Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I feel you, brother. This is totally and completely a huge problem with me and why I continue to gain weight.

I don't know about you, but most of my TV watching is in the evening time. So...I have planned to stop watching TV in the evening time all together and stay away from a room with a TV. My TV room is downstairs with the kitchen close at hand. My room is upstairs. I plan to pretty much lock myself in my room with a book that I can't put down. If you don't read...you should! I would be happy to give you some book recommendations that will be hard to tear away from.

If there is a show I absolutely cannot miss during the evening time...I plan to go ahead and fix myself a snack...but a super healthy snack that will satisfy my munchies, Carrots and hummus or celery and peanut butter are my favorites.

I haven't actually tried this theory to stop my bad mindless eating habits. I'll let you know how it goes this week.
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I agree with both Viviakay and Fatman.
    I used to eat in front of the TV too.
    But now I excersize in front of the TV.
    I had the problem that one of the TVs is in the KITCHEN!
    Being in the same room as the food when you are watching the TV, NOT A GOOD THING! :angry:
    So I decided that when I was in the ROOM OF FOOD, I would do some type of excersize instead of eating.
    I also try to drink water ALOT!
    and I also installed a bell on the refrigertator, and pantry.
    I was STUNNED to learn how many times I opened the refrigerator door. :embarassed:
    Talk about mindless eating!
    The bell alerted the whole house that I was opening the frige or pantry door. Over it so there was no way to open the door and be sneaky about it.
    So unless I wanted a teen, or a dog, or my man knowing that I was eating.
    I would not touch the doors to the food.
    Or if I did I would have to shout out what I was getting.
    IE: JUST CARROTS!!! :happy:
    Even at that I would have people come in to make sure that that was indeed what I had. :grumble:
    It was like they did not trust me! :wink:
    I have since removed the bells because I do not need them anymore. I am well aware of when I go to the fridge.
    --Diann...
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    thats my problem also alot of the time..my mother have these little bowls she fills one of them and when it is gone thats it.. sounds like a good idea or mesuring is good too,
  • elizabethjean
    elizabethjean Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,

My sister realized recently that she was doing to same thing and had her cable disconnected. Her family just watches movies once in awhile and she is able to controll the unconscious eating better now that she knows she does it. I think that knowing what the problem is is more than half the battle.

Good-luck! Jen
  • bridgetn03
    Options
    I do this also. I get off of work at 7, I'm home at 8, then I plop my big butt in front of the TV and eat my dinner, dessert, and drink a soda. BAD BAD BAD! Bad because I eat my dinner then start snacking on COOKIES OR FIG NEWTONS OR ICE CREAM! And the soda, that's just empty calories! I might have to fix myself a protein shake to drink when I sit in front of the tube. They kind of make my stomach feel icky so then I won't want to eat anything and will be full enough to not be hungry before bed. I'll see how that goes.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean too. I ate 1/2 a plate of brownies and didn't even realize what I had done until it was too late. It is really hard to break the habit. You just have to set it in your mind and do it. Try chewing gum or get sugar free hard candy that take awhile to eat. Try drinking water while you watch TV. Have carrots and other raw veggies on hand to.
    Take your time, and it will happen. You can do it!!
    Best of luck and Happy New Year!!:drinker: :flowerforyou: :happy:
  • baylou
    baylou Posts: 52
    Options
    on my days off I like to watch movies and I too like to eat at that time so I weight,measure, etc. then only take that amount and sit down and eat very slowly so that I really taste each bit that I put in my mouth they say it takes 20 minutes for your body to know that it has eaten so eating slow helps me and I make sure I record before I eat this sometimes I see how much and close I am to my cal. goal for the day that I put back instead of eating
    good luck
    betty::blushing:
  • chepic
    chepic Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Evening TV and snacking just seem to go hand in hand. My husband's dietician advised him to NEVER eat in front of the TV. It becomes an automatic reflex - see TV, get food. Even though I know this is true from experience, it is a VERY hard habit to break. One answer I've come up with that won't work for everyone is to keep my hands busy with something else I don't want to get food on; i.e. knitting or counted cross stitch. One habit I want to make for the new year is to have all meals at the dining room table (otherwise, why have one?!). So, starting tomorrow, I'm going to try very hard to begin this new habit. Anyone else up for the challenge?