Love my wine, sigh.

Options
It's astonishing how many calories are in wine. I do fine with eating right and exercising, but when I get home at the end of the day...
So, my goal is to only drink on Friday and Saturday, and then have a maximum of 3 drinks in the evening. That seems like a very doable goal, doesn't it?

Replies

• forevermaryb
    forevermaryb Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Yay, another wine lover. I'm in the same position; I do so well all day long then I blow it all on a couple of glasses of wine. Limiting it to Friday's and Saturday evenings sounds reasonable. That's what I need to do as well. I also bought smaller wine glasses (6oz vs 8oz) and only fill it about 1/2 or 2/3 full. A few oz does make a difference, calorie-wise. Good luck to you.
  • BritinItaly
    Options
    I spoke to another wine lover who went walking for wine...if she could walk off the calories then that evening she would have a glass. Seemed like a plan...love the idea of the smaller glass too.
  • spottedkathy
    spottedkathy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I love my wine too! Even if it puts me over I track it if I have a glass. Reds have less sugar so I try to stay with those and choose wines like Merlot, Cabs, and Pinots because they are not as sweet. Which means only 4.1 carbs per glass of wine. (I am on a low carb diet)
  • RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I was shocked to see how many calories were added with wine - it's hard because at the end of the day I NEED a glass ;) But I have found that holding myself accountable has helped, if I am having a bad day I simply make room for the wine and cut calories somewhere else. Good luck! :drinker:
  • jackie2866
    jackie2866 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    OMG so glad I am not alone! I love my wine more than my food (I know, sad). Walking for wine is a great idea. Also trying to stick to weekends, but sometimes that is hard.:drinker:
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    http://getdrunknotfat.com/

I drink beer with an equivalent or higher ABV. It's never hampered me. Do what you wanna do, make it fit.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person who was surprised at how few calories are in wine? I mean red wine at least, I can drink an entire bottle of wine and have a pretty good buzz for the same amount of calories as like 2-3 beers. Just drink it, but drink it in reason and if you want a glass, go workout so you can have one. Problem solved.
  • muah3iluvzu06
    muah3iluvzu06 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I love my wine too, luckily a 5 ounce glass of my favorite wine is only 127 calories, so I can indulge more frequently! :)
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Ah story of my MFP life lol.
    Also love my wine, I try and drink it on weekends only, I have spent the last two weeks trying to not drink at all.
    But as long as it fits in my calories Im okay, problem is when I get a little tipsy and just want to drink MORE!
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I drink lots of wine. I still lose weight. Lift weights to increase your metabolism...I exercise so I can drink LOL
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    http://getdrunknotfat.com/

I drink beer with an equivalent or higher ABV. It's never hampered me. Do what you wanna do, make it fit.

Bahaha! That's awesome!
  • tricasky
    tricasky Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. My friends and I have started a Walking & Wining thing. If we drink wine during the work week, we go walk 3-4 miles first. Then we head over to a nearby wine joint and have a glass or two. It's the best way not to feel too guilty about it. :)
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Me too.:drinker:

Try swapping the after work wine with hot tea. I like a hot green tea to celebrate the end of the day.

Also, I drink other beverages from wine glasses. For example, at dinner I have water from a wine glass. At breakfast, I drink orange juice from a wine glass.

When I drink, I alternate between the wine servings and water. Have a glass of wine. Have two wine glasses of water. Have another glass of wine. Have two more wine glasses of water. Also, I budget calories and have available a light healthy snack. One reason people give up consuming alcohol is because it makes us lose our inhibitions with food.

Hope this helps:flowerforyou:
  • NewMnky1
    Options
    The nectar of the gods!!! I love my wine. I was not going to give it up, but I did find and try Skinny Grape (not Skinny Girl) which is 80 cals per 5oz. It tastes pretty good and I don't feel as bad drinking it and if I drink a whole bottle (which is not impossible) it is only 400 cals, which is still a lot, but I can at least run that off!
  • Absonthebrain
    Absonthebrain Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I am into wines also, I have been only drinking it Fridays and Saturdays, seems to be ok, I have not notice any weight gain by doing this. I use to be a big beer drinker but now I really dont like it that much, it had my weight fluctuating like crazy!!!
  • fitmomhappymom
    fitmomhappymom Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Fellow wine lover, I limit myself to a couple glasses a week. Also I find if I have a smaller dinner and THEN drink the wine, it takes fewer glasses to get me to my relaxed state. Less calories all around, lol.
  • mrst17
    Options
    I love your ideas kechiemc! Thank you! I've been trying to think of ways to incorporate more tea into my diet, I can't believe I didn't think of this.

I have a problem with wine, for sure. I've been sticking mostly to organic red, because it's supposed to be the "healthiest" (although not the most lo-cal on the market, it's not bad for calories either).

I have concluded that my wine habit is hindering my weight loss. Sure, it's not preventing me from losing weight, but it is effecting how quickly and healthily I lose weight. A calorie is not just a calorie, after all. To get past the plateau I'm currently in, I am going to need to seriously cut back.

It is difficult for me to go a night without at least one glass of wine (which usually turns into two). Although, I didn't have wine yesterday, and don't plan to today. Tomorrow is my mom's birthday so I might have a glass, and I have a happy hour date with a friend Thursday so I definitely will have a glass, but I'm going to try to keep it to one. I think I'll try your tip of asking for water in my wine glass if I finish my wine and still want to chat with my friend. Thanks for the tips!
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    It's astonishing how many calories are in wine. I do fine with eating right and exercising, but when I get home at the end of the day...
    So, my goal is to only drink on Friday and Saturday, and then have a maximum of 3 drinks in the evening. That seems like a very doable goal, doesn't it?

Tasting Glasses saved me! They are exactly five ounces or "one serving" of wine. 120 calories a glass about and I limit myself to one a day on week days. Then 2-3 on weekends IF i have worked out enough to justify them. I still get my emotional release without a lot of the guilt
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    Options
    I fight with this as well. I've really gotten into some higher calorie craft beers; specifically IPAs which can run 250+. As long as it fits into the daily calorie count, I limit myself to one and savor it.
  • SuzyLy
    SuzyLy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I cut it with seltzer so I can drink more than one glass. 5 oz = 2 drinks (w/seltzer).