Feeling like too much of a failure to start over.

Options
I lost 30 pounds last year by eating at a totally reasonable deficit and walking regularly. My daily calorie goal was never below 2,000, so I wasn't hungry often, and I still allowed myself to eat what I wanted on holidays/vacations/etc. That's all basically to say that I lost that weight with little to no misery - it honestly wasn't that hard at all.

Somewhere along the way (around March), life just got busy and I got depressed, so I took a break from calorie counting to focus on my mental health. I was totally positive that over the summer (I'm a full time college student), I would get back on track. Didn't happen. I was sure it would happen when I got back into my school routine in August. Didn't happen. Now I eat out (mostly fast food) for almost every meal - I think I ate one meal at home last week. Part of this is time - I am taking 18 hours of classes and work about 25-30 hours a week. Mostly, though, it's just laziness and a genuine enjoyment of eating out, even though now I feel like absolute crap every time I do it. I can't afford it anymore, financially, emotionally, or physically, but I keep doing it.

To make matters worse, I saw my weight at the doctor's office last week (the first time I've known it since probably May, when I was up about five pounds from my lowest weight) and I'm back where I started, plus five pounds. I'm actually the heaviest I've ever been in my life. I was so sure that I wouldn't be the person to gain back weight since I lost it the 'right' way. Hah. This has totally tanked any inkling of motivation to get back on track. I feel like it's completely useless. I feel like I'm just going to keep losing and gaining for the rest of my life, and I might as well just forget about the losing if that's the case.

I feel so overwhelmed and frustrated, and I feel like such a failure. I need some serious support here. I desperately want to get back on track but I just can't get over the mental hurdle of feeling like I'm too far gone. :(

Replies

• blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    You are here making this post so you are on the right path already!!

Just take a few days to log what you are currently eating. I bet when you see the calories in things you will start to actually WANT to make better choices.

Although it's tough that you are back at the start plus a few pounds, you know this is do-able!! You've done it before and even say yourself you didn't find it that bad.

Don't be too hard on yourself, a massive percentage of people re-gain the weight they lost, myself included.

But you're here and you want to lose the weight again. You got this sussed!!!
  • Momf3boys
    Momf3boys Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Today is a new day...it's never too late to start over. Yesterday is the past...pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start fresh! You can do it!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be snarky, but when you really want to lose the weight - you will. There's no magic formula, pill, no amount of support that will make it happen until you are ready.

Someone told me this years ago - and it was the truth. I've been plodding along for 16 months now and I just have to get up, eat right and exercise every day. No excuses.

I wish you good luck when you decide you're ready!

ETA: Quit starting over. Just keep going. One bad day does not have to derail your whole plan. :smile:
  • Fkika3131
    Fkika3131 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Don't be to hard on your self. Start again putting down what you eat. You posting on this message board is sure the 1st step to trying to get yourself back in track. We are all here to motivate each other.
  • judebristow15
    judebristow15 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi, some aspects of your story sound very familiar to my own, and I understand the despondency and feelings of failure that you have. I think you are brave to face up to your current health situation, which is itself a positive first step. You may find it helpful to take some time to think about your schedule and commitments; your goals and aims; your positive motivations for change. Make a fresh start, wipe the slate clean, breathe, and begin again. This is the start of a new journey, you have all the knowledge, tools, and friends here on MFP to support you. Believe that you can, and you will-one day at a time...my best wishes to you
  • kristina1709
    kristina1709 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Ive been here before. I lost 80 + lbs then gradually gained it back, got pregnant and gained just about all of it back. It took until my son was 6 months old to kick my butt in gear to get back to were I was. Emotionally it was hard because I had to start all over again and I knew how hard it was the first time around. Im not saying this road to get it all off again was easy because its not. I lost it then gained 15 back last christmas/new years but back in May I finally lost what I gained over the holidays.

You CAN do it. We want this bad enough we find ways. Its an emotional battle and its something we will battle daily. Just don't give up and push!
  • egh1974
    egh1974 Posts: 147
    Options
    As someone who works in mental health, please understand that eating right is directly related to your mental health. Don't take breaks from being healthy to try to get healthy, that's defeating the purpose. Start with small goals, like tracking your water and at least entering what you do eat. The process will help you be stronger mentally. A good rule of thumb is - if you bite it - write it. If you drink it, ink it. Stay strong and give yourself some credit for starting again. Realize this is a lifestyle. Much love to you!
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I've been in a similar boat...I lost 90 pounds and felt great about myself. I slacked, gained a few pounds back, then back on the wagon, etc. This on and off thing happened and then I got pregnant. I was eating for two right? I went so horribly off the wagon. I gained A LOT of weight...way too much weight while pregnant. I didn't quite get to where I was, but I was still 70 pounds from my lowest weight. I had my child in July of 2012. It took me until January 2013 to realize I needed to do something. I've lost 26 pounds, but feel "stuck" and I'm now recommitting to it. The first time it took me 8 months to lose 90 pounds. My child is 14 months old and I've lost 26. So don't think "Oh, well it took me only 6 months last time to lose X amount of pounds". So what if it takes a year or two years to get back down?

You need to start. Just do it. Prepare your meals ahead of time. Don't buy anything that is junk food. Don't use school or work as an excuse. I've been there and gained alot of weight in college. It takes 10 extra minutes to prepare your food then to eat fast food. There are also healthier options for fast food. I've found that the most difficult time to stick to a diet is the beginning.

If you don't start now, will you regret it a month from now, or a year from now?
  • suzend
    suzend Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    ETA: Quit starting over. Just keep going. One bad day does not have to derail your whole plan. smile.

^^^THIS^^^

Even one bad meal doesn't have to derail you. It's a life long thing battling weight.

I wish you luck and best wishes!
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds last year by eating at a totally reasonable deficit and walking regularly. My daily calorie goal was never below 2,000, so I wasn't hungry often, and I still allowed myself to eat what I wanted on holidays/vacations/etc. That's all basically to say that I lost that weight with little to no misery - it honestly wasn't that hard at all.

Somewhere along the way (around March), life just got busy and I got depressed, so I took a break from calorie counting to focus on my mental health. I was totally positive that over the summer (I'm a full time college student), I would get back on track. Didn't happen. I was sure it would happen when I got back into my school routine in August. Didn't happen. Now I eat out (mostly fast food) for almost every meal - I think I ate one meal at home last week. Part of this is time - I am taking 18 hours of classes and work about 25-30 hours a week. Mostly, though, it's just laziness and a genuine enjoyment of eating out, even though now I feel like absolute crap every time I do it. I can't afford it anymore, financially, emotionally, or physically, but I keep doing it.

To make matters worse, I saw my weight at the doctor's office last week (the first time I've known it since probably May, when I was up about five pounds from my lowest weight) and I'm back where I started, plus five pounds. I'm actually the heaviest I've ever been in my life. I was so sure that I wouldn't be the person to gain back weight since I lost it the 'right' way. Hah. This has totally tanked any inkling of motivation to get back on track. I feel like it's completely useless. I feel like I'm just going to keep losing and gaining for the rest of my life, and I might as well just forget about the losing if that's the case.

I feel so overwhelmed and frustrated, and I feel like such a failure. I need some serious support here. I desperately want to get back on track but I just can't get over the mental hurdle of feeling like I'm too far gone. :(

FIst off: you are not alone! Many of us struggle with similair issues. i just got back on the wagon.

Please know: Exercise is the MOST UNDER UTILIZED anti-depressant there is.

Keep yourself moving.

Do not focus on the scale. Focus on moving. Walk run dance whatever.

Much love MissDibs
  • running_shoe
    running_shoe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I don't have issues with depression, so maybe I can't understand enough to comment. But, it sounds to me like you just need to reframe the way you look at things. The old adage is "life is a journey, not a destination." You have not failed. Anywhere. At all. I gain and lose the same 5-10 pounds once a year because I take breaks from counting and on it creeps. I allow myself this leash. When I creep back up, I knuckle down again and work it off.

It's also been true for me that you can't have angelic habits overnight. You can't live by angelic habits all day every day. But, over the YEARS, as you improve one habit after another (eating habits, exercise habits), you find yourself, on the whole, a healthier person. But it takes place over a lifetime.

Someone else here already said it. Don't look at it as "starting over." Look at it as continuing the journey. It sounds like what you were doing before was pretty spot on and pretty sustainable. You know what to do, just carry on. Good luck.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you how many times I was in your exact situation. The difference for me this time and the reason it is working is because I just keep going, even when I have a terrible day (or two or three or four). Every day I wake up and try to do better then the day before. Each meal I try to make a better choice then the one before it.

For example yesterday I ate half a loaf of italian bread with my lasagna (despite telling myself that I would only have two pieces) and boy am I feeling bad about that choice today. In the past I would have given up because I would have seen the higher weight on the scale and would have felt like a failure. Now I know better and that one bad choice will not ruin all the progress I have made. Today I will do better.

Make small changes that you can sustain. I know you want this. You can do this. Friend me if you want some support and encouragement :)
  • Nightingale9591
    Options
    Been there, done that!! Don't give up. Just do one thing/change at a time until you are back on track. Fast food? Salads and grilled chicken, no fries for now. Get a fitbit pedometer and link it to MFP. Start tracking your food. No excuses, only you see it. You can put it on your phone for quick recording if you don't have time at night. I have been where you are only I lost 80 and gained it all back. We get busy and distracted, depressed, have hardships, vacations and life changes. You just have to keep on keepin on!! Like someone before me said, don't start again, just keep going. I don't lose every week, but I feel better getting my 10,000 steps in every day. And I don't get them in every day and I don't eat right every day, but I keep on keepin on and the scale eventually responds!! Good luck!!!:smile:
  • ELEANOR43da
    ELEANOR43da Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    The thing that I appreciate here is your willingness to step up to the plate, state the facts and look for the support to help you on this journey. I know how hard it can me when it concerns Mental health . I have learned that through eating properly..........and that means logging everything ,exercising, and proper rest its easier. ...I started off slow,and keep in touch with the posting . I have been blessed with a circle of friends here who motivate and encourage and I tell you there may be days I slip a little ,but overall I love myself enough to pick up and move forward. Believe in yourself and think of it as a lifestyle change . I am going to add you as I believe support is very important.
  • jojo4613
    jojo4613 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Your final statement "I'm too far gone" resonates with me. It isn't the idea of losing weight that is so daunting, it is that you are looking at where you were and feeling like you've wasted it all. Drop that right now. That is my best advice to you. You cannot look back, unless it is an encouragement to know you have done it before "the right way" and you can again.

For many of us, it is a battle not just to lose the weight, but to maintain healthy eating and exercise patterns when life hits us with difficult times. Managing how we deal with that is going to be our struggle. My weight gains have come when I was overwhelmed with life. It sounds like you are similar.
    You can do this again. And you can make changes slowly that will help you figure out better ways of coping. In the meantime, don't beat yourself up. I am finally learning that I don't have to lose 20 pounds in 5 weeks and pat myself on the back. I've always worked out and been stringent with my eating. Now, I'm learning to eat what I want (within reason) and watch as I trend downward slowly. It has been difficult to adapt to that.

If it helps take a picture of yourself right now to refer back to later. But do not compare it to where you were. For some that might be an encouragement to see that their goal is attainable, but your goal is in front of you. You really can do this. And, based on your previous experience, it won't be as difficult as you fear.
  • ElegantSlenderChic
    Options
    Don't be discouraged. You have already identified the main cause of your weight gain and know from past experience what you need to do to lose the weight. I recommend that you look into the cause of your depression and have a positive mindset. You did it once you can do it again! Feel free to add me~ remember that "Motivation is what gets you started but habit keeps you going." Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, I worked my butt off in 2010 to lose my weight, I was still technically overweight (the weight I am now) when I got pregnant and put it all back on. It took me until my son was a year old to start again because I felt ****ty restarting. I wasted a whole year of my life to end up back where I was. When I did kick my butt into gear, I started losing weight and exercising and eating right becomes a habit. i am now exactly where I was 2 years ago and this time I'm going to keep going. You can totally do this to. Even if you arent motivated, just act like you are motivated and it will come naturally. Good luck, I really hope you get there
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    99% of people fail before they succeed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,910 Member
    Options
    You are not alone!! You CAN do it, no one is "too far gone"! Take one day at a time, set mini-goals for yourself, i.e., "I will walk/move for 10 min. longer today", "I will eat a piece of fruit/veggies with at least one meal today", etc. Most importantly, don't be too hard on yourself, and don't give up! Some days will be harder than other days, just keep going . . . . you are worth it! :flowerforyou:
  • asalembier
    asalembier Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be snarky, but when you really want to lose the weight - you will. There's no magic formula, pill, no amount of support that will make it happen until you are ready.

I completely agree with this. Once we are ready to put in the fight to lose weight, we will, but it's not about how much we think we want it, but how much we really want it. How much are we willing to do to put our thoughts into actions and do something about it rather than just think about it?

You are not a failure, until you quit. No matter how much you have fallen off the track, just wipe yourself off and get back on it.

Have you heard of the 5 stages of change.... knowing more about it will help you decide where you are, and where you want to be.

Precontemplation (Not Ready)-"People are not intending to take action in the foreseeable future, and can be unaware that their behaviour is problematic"

Contemplation (Getting Ready)-"People are beginning to recognize that their behaviour is problematic, and start to look at the pros and cons of their continued actions"

Preparation (Ready)-"People are intending to take action in the immediate future, and may begin taking small steps toward behaviour change"

Action – "People have made specific overt modifications in modifying their problem behaviour or in acquiring new healthy behaviours"

Maintenance – "People have been able to sustain action for a while and are working to prevent relapse"
    Termination – "Individuals have zero temptation and they are sure they will not return to their old unhealthy habit as a way of coping"