Love my wine, sigh.

Options

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Just work it into your calories... You can have a small amount every day if you want.
  • SpleenlessGal
    SpleenlessGal Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm not big on wine, but I'm a big fan of craft beer. I try to limit myself to the weekends, and then really work for it. Say, for example my friend wants to go to a brewpub. The brewpub is in Little Italy which takes approximately 2 hours to walk to. I walk there, and I see that it gives me about 500 calories. So I can work in a whole pint or two of beer if I choose to (depending on the %), and it doesn't really affect the rest of my day too much since it's calories burned.

Mostly, if I don't have time to get in some exercise... just limit to one bottle, or a 12-14 oz glass at a bar.
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I have a tendency to save my calories until the evening so that I can fit in a glass or two. Although, I will say that since I've started my fitness journey I tend to drink less--so my tolerance has also gone down, thus making me a cheap date! :flowerforyou:

Sometimes, I go for lower calorie options like Stiegl Radler (110 calories for 12 oz.) or lower calorie vodkas with seltzer water or diet tonic water.

(Edited due to weird sentence structure)
  • MissFit2532
    MissFit2532 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I cut it with seltzer so I can drink more than one glass. 5 oz = 2 drinks (w/seltzer).

I cut everything with seltzer! I didn't realize how much I really enjoyed drinking, (beer, vodka, wine), until I started telling people I was drinking seltzer water with wine, seltzer water with light lemonade, seltzer water with seltzer water in place of my normal drinks. I felt a little lush-y, but at least now I have limited my alcohol intake and mostly do it on weekends. I also drink everything out of a pretty glass so it feels more "fancy." *sigh* The things we do to cut calories. =)
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    The nectar of the gods!!! I love my wine. I was not going to give it up, but I did find and try Skinny Grape (not Skinny Girl) which is 80 cals per 5oz. It tastes pretty good and I don't feel as bad drinking it and if I drink a whole bottle (which is not impossible) it is only 400 cals, which is still a lot, but I can at least run that off!

Oh wow, this is good to hear! I had been wondering about this.

I love my wine too and I also found that drinking from the smaller tasting glasses is smart.

I usually only have it on weekends and have been finding I have to limit my glasses as well.

"Don't drink your calories" Does Wine count? Nah!
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    http://getdrunknotfat.com/

I drink beer with an equivalent or higher ABV. It's never hampered me. Do what you wanna do, make it fit.

Thanks for the link. It's amazingly informative. FWIW I tend to follow the "drink less, but better" philosophy.
  • Gooddaytostart
    Options
    I too like the idea of a smaller glass however my mind will tell me it's smaller and I will just fill it more times! Must have my wine but limit it to weekends and eat more protein that day.:blushing:
  • kellyb48
    Options
    Me too. I love a nice chilled Chardonnay after work however, I am trying to limit to a Saturday evening. If I do stumble during the week (like last night) I put half the amount into a small wine glass and fill it to the top with soda water. If I fancy another glass I have one. That way I feel I've been sociable, enjoyed a treat whilst staying in the 'moderation' bracket. It's also nice and refreshing with a slice of lime. I know all you wine buffs will hate the fact I've spoilt a good wine with soda - I would have curled my nose up too however, my health has to come first and if it means adding soda, then bring it on!
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I like a nice spritzer but ONLY with a chilled wine and generally only when I"m outside and do not want to get dehydrated. Otherwise I just cannot stomach watering down a good Cabernet or Malbec...At first the small glasses seemed odd and I wanted more, but keeping the bottle in the kitchen ( so you actually have to get up to get another) has finally after almost a year made "normal" wine glasses seem huge. And If I am at a resteraunt calorie wise i just assume 2 glasses...
  • Runningcircuits
    Options
    Love my wine, love IPAs and other craft beers and love, love bourbon. I am working it into my calories, like for last night's football game. But I am going to try to limit it to two days/week, like many of you have said. I do want to cut back on the habit of relaxing with a drink after the house gets all quiet at night.

So glad I'm not alone!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I find actually measuring the ounces I have cut back, and also I drink white, so I put ice cubes in it to water it down, seems to work, I love my wine at the end of a long day , I have cut back to about 2-3 nights a week, summer is harder with all the parties and BBQ's too.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    Without wine and dark chocolate, I wouldn't care to live. So I fit both in and am most grateful they don't have more calories. I try to exercise more if I want more than one glass or square a day (which is what I have allotted myself). It all goes into the diary. I just eat a lot of green stuff to make up for the cals, I rarely eat bread, potatoes etc. I also like goat cheese, so I make room for it was well.

I drink the wines I love and don't waste cals of junk chocolate, only the best chocolates will do.

I have lost all but one week I have been on MFP and counting cals. That week I tried the TDEE -% and stayed the same. I don't think wine had a thing to do with it. So it can be done. In fact some of the thinnest people I know drink a lot more wine than I do :glasses:
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options

"Don't drink your calories" Does Wine count? Nah!

^^^^ This, but log them anyway. :laugh: :laugh:
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    "I drink the wines I love and don't waste cals of junk chocolate, only the best chocolates will do"

Amen..If i am going to count the calories it better be Lindor/Ghiradelli or Godiva!
  • dpcdpjm
    Options
    I enjoy my red too much to give it up. There is nothing better than opening a good bottle of red at the end of a very stressful day, and cooking up a healthy meal for my hubby and I. And yes, it usually turns into 2 glasses. I just make sure that I am eating smart during the day, and skipping snacking. I also make sure I exercise at least 45 minutes every day to compensate for the wine calories. So far, I've kept under or at my 1200 net calorie goal, still enjoy my wine, and have lost 4 lbs. Cheers!:drinker:
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I enjoy my red too much to give it up. There is nothing better than opening a good bottle of red at the end of a very stressful day, and cooking up a healthy meal for my hubby and I. And yes, it usually turns into 2 glasses. I just make sure that I am eating smart during the day, and skipping snacking. I also make sure I exercise at least 45 minutes every day to compensate for the wine calories. So far, I've kept under or at my 1200 net calorie goal, still enjoy my wine, and have lost 4 lbs. Cheers!:drinker:
    you might wanna recalculate your goals, just tossing that out there. Under 1200 and working out every day? Nope nope nope.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I drink lots of wine. I still lose weight. Lift weights to increase your metabolism...I exercise so I can drink LOL

SO agree with this!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I'm not giving up on wine.

EVER!

I'll count the cals, and make sure I leave enough cals during drinking days for my wine (well rosé)
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I love it, too! I have a glass in the evening if it fits into my day. I am doing a 5k in a few weeks that is a trail run through a vineyard and you get a glass of wine at the finish line! Now that is a reason to run!

I'm also doing a 10k chocolate run in November :smile: