Muesli - Its healthy, right?

Hey Guys,

I'd like to lose a bit of weight (about 15-20 lbs) but I mainly want to eat healthily and increase my fitness levels. I discovered that I really like Muesli but when I read the box I noticed that its full of calories and quite high in sugar. I've been eating Mornflake Extra Crispy Muesli and every spoonful is full of nuts, seeds, dried fruit and crispy oaty bits. It tastes healthy, but is it? I'm not too hung up on the high calories because I can work around that. I'm more interested in the health pro's and cons. Will I get any health benefit from the dried fruit or am I just shoveling sugar into my mouth?

Replies

• jsuaccounting
    jsuaccounting Posts: 193 Member
    I don't think so. The sugar level in the dried fruit is high. I think it works out better to eat whole fruit and oatmeal or a boiled egg.
  • Blitzer32
    Blitzer32 Posts: 9 Member
    :ohwell: That's a shame. I was hoping it was healthy. It tastes so good.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    I think you have to get away from the idea of good foods and bad foods.

Nuts are high in calories, but contain fats that your body needs. So enjoy them in moderation. Seeds also.

But you're right to look at labels - the sugars in dried frutis are very high, so you don't wnat to eat too much of them.

Are you measuring your portion size of muesli?100g is an awful lot!
  • Blitzer32
    Blitzer32 Posts: 9 Member

Nuts are high in calories, but contain fats that your body needs. So enjoy them in moderation. Seeds also.

But you're right to look at labels - the sugars in dried frutis are very high, so you don't wnat to eat too much of them.

Thanks for the reply. To be honest I was just guessing the weight of my portion. Next time I have the muesli I'll weigh it!!! I have a really sweet tooth that needs to be curbed a bit. It sounds like this is not an 'everyday' breakfast, maybe a weekend treat.
  • PDXHollyD
    PDXHollyD Posts: 21 Member
    If you have a sweet tooth that you're trying to curb, this is not the cereal for you. It's loaded with sugar and will set off cravings. Not what you probably want to do first thing in the morning!
  • Coffeeplz_123z
    Coffeeplz_123z Posts: 29 Member
    Its Healthy in moderation..sprinkle a bit on some plain greek yogurt and you have yourself a high protein breakfast or snack!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member

Thanks for the reply. To be honest I was just guessing the weight of my portion. Next time I have the muesli I'll weigh it!!! I have a really sweet tooth that needs to be curbed a bit. It sounds like this is not an 'everyday' breakfast, maybe a weekend treat.

You'd be surprised at how little you get for the "serving size" that they give you the calories for on the box. It's an eye-opener when you put this sort of stuff on a scale.

Also want to echo the sentiment about good and bad foods. They do not exist in isolation, as part of a complete diet you can really eat anything. It's the total balance of the diet that's important not individual meals/items. Get your macros right and hit your calorie goal and you'll be fine. You'll be more than fine. You'll win. And winning is great......
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Porridge oats are really good for you, so why not make your own muesli? Just buy a bag of plain porridge oats and add nuts and fresh fruit of your choice, in quantities that fit in with your goals. :smile:
  • septembergrrl
    septembergrrl Posts: 168 Member
    I love granola, which is basically the same thing as muesli. To fit it into my calorie counts, I measure out a half portion & mix it with fruit and plain yogurt. Tends to come in under 300 calories. You could try something like that.