Elliptical 75-90 Mins Low Res High Reps

Options
Hello! I'm relatively new here to MyFitnessPal. Before I joined I used to google fitness tips, though I'd always find myself here! So I was wondering if you guys can help me with my own personal questions regarding my weight loss.

I am 5'0", 125lbs, with a BMI close to 25 (overweight). I'd like to get down to 103-105 lbs, losing about 20lbs. I was wondering if my current fitness plan would be effective.

With access to a gym, I stay on the elliptical for 75-90 minutes at a resistance of 3 and cross-ramp of 6-12. I heard that low resistance and high reps causes the body to burn fat (not carbs), though, I could be wrong as I am not an expert at this... But anyway I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me and tell me if this may be effective in losing 20lbs, probably within a few months, along with a daily calorie intake of 1,200-1,300 (as what is suggested by MyFitnessPal).

I was also wondering how many calories using the elliptical for 75-90 minutes at low resistance would burn. If anyone could help me with that too! :^)

Replies

• erika_babydean
    Options
    the eliptical machine tells you how many calories you have burned. :smile:
  • erika_babydean
    Options
    i use the eloptical machine at Golds Gym for 60 minutes and i use either the weight loss program or the variety program and i burn between 200 to 300 calories in one hour.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    We can't really guess what kind of burn you get.

High reps low resistance isn't going to burn fat anymore than an increased resistance.

Are you doing just 75-90 minutes of cardio as part of your exercise program, or is there a resistance (lift) program you follow as well? @ 5ft 120, you many not need to pay attention to the scale so much as reducing your BF% and using the tape measure to track progress.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Bottom line up front: Burn as many calories going as hard as you can.

Aerobic exercise is when your body combines fat with oxygen to create ATP, the energy your muscles need to contract.
    Anaerobic exercise is when your body utilizes the glycogen stored in your muscles as fuel. This does not require oxygen.

The Aerobic process is a relatively slow one. As long as your heart rate is below 60% of your threshold from cardio type exercise, it will utilize primarily fat as the fuel source. As your HR gets above 60% more and more glycogen gets used, until finally about 90% of the fuel is coming from glycogen.

So, you may think to yourself, "Aha, what I want to do is keep my HR below 60%". Not really. Here's the thing, it's not like your body STOPS using fat at a higher HR. It's just the relative percentage. 100% of 10 calories a minute (10) is not as much fat as 80% of 15 calories per minute (12).

Also, when your body consumes glycogen it wants to replace it. So if you burn a calories worth of glycogen, then the next calorie of carbohydrate you eat gets turned back into glycogen. So, no fat gain from that food. And your body can't use it to supply energy, so it has to metabolize fat. It's a free calorie!

Next, when you push your HR up into the cardio zone, above about 75%, it gets stronger. Much stronger. Your body becomes more effective at pushing oxygen around. This lowers your resting HR (a good thing) and allows you to work at higher intensity levels at the same HR. So early on a HR of 60% may only burn you 10 calories per minute, but through consistent cardiovascular training you can push that up to about 15 calories per minute.

Now, about that resistance level. It needs to be HIGH before it becomes an anaerobic process. You're probably on either a Precor or maybe a Cybex elliptical. With the Precor's you're talking about 13 to 18 on the resistance (depending on your leg strength) before it becomes similar to lifting weights. If you aren't seriously straining to get a stride in, it's fine.

So go hard, hard, hard for about 30 minutes. Maybe look into some High Intensity Interval Training. Then, for the next half hour keep your HR below 60%. You will burn more calories in the short term. Improve your heart's health. And enable your body to burn even more calories in the long run. And still plow through plenty of fat.

As to the calorie burn, the most effective method of calculation is to use a HR monitor, along with knowledge about your VO2 Max, Lean Body Mass, gender, age, weight, etc. Although that's an entirely different discussion. Basically, just use whatever the machine says. It will all be an estimate either way.
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Exercise sounds good. But 1200 cals IMO is too low. Especially with only 20 lbs to lose it's a tad bit aggressive. I would change your goal to .5-1lb a week.
  • rbear713
    rbear713 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Bottom line up front: Burn as many calories going as hard as you can.

Aerobic exercise is when your body combines fat with oxygen to create ATP, the energy your muscles need to contract.
    Anaerobic exercise is when your body utilizes the glycogen stored in your muscles as fuel. This does not require oxygen.

The Aerobic process is a relatively slow one. As long as your heart rate is below 60% of your threshold from cardio type exercise, it will utilize primarily fat as the fuel source. As your HR gets above 60% more and more glycogen gets used, until finally about 90% of the fuel is coming from glycogen.

So, you may think to yourself, "Aha, what I want to do is keep my HR below 60%". Not really. Here's the thing, it's not like your body STOPS using fat at a higher HR. It's just the relative percentage. 100% of 10 calories a minute (10) is not as much fat as 80% of 15 calories per minute (12).

Also, when your body consumes glycogen it wants to replace it. So if you burn a calories worth of glycogen, then the next calorie of carbohydrate you eat gets turned back into glycogen. So, no fat gain from that food. And your body can't use it to supply energy, so it has to metabolize fat. It's a free calorie!

Next, when you push your HR up into the cardio zone, above about 75%, it gets stronger. Much stronger. Your body becomes more effective at pushing oxygen around. This lowers your resting HR (a good thing) and allows you to work at higher intensity levels at the same HR. So early on a HR of 60% may only burn you 10 calories per minute, but through consistent cardiovascular training you can push that up to about 15 calories per minute.

Now, about that resistance level. It needs to be HIGH before it becomes an anaerobic process. You're probably on either a Precor or maybe a Cybex elliptical. With the Precor's you're talking about 13 to 18 on the resistance (depending on your leg strength) before it becomes similar to lifting weights. If you aren't seriously straining to get a stride in, it's fine.

So go hard, hard, hard for about 30 minutes. Maybe look into some High Intensity Interval Training. Then, for the next half hour keep your HR below 60%. You will burn more calories in the short term. Improve your heart's health. And enable your body to burn even more calories in the long run. And still plow through plenty of fat.

As to the calorie burn, the most effective method of calculation is to use a HR monitor, along with knowledge about your VO2 Max, Lean Body Mass, gender, age, weight, etc. Although that's an entirely different discussion. Basically, just use whatever the machine says. It will all be an estimate either way.

PHEW!!! Long winded, but dead on!! Go Hard Hard Hard for 30! I've been at this for a couple yeatrs now, and the elliptical has been a go to for me the whole time. GO HARD!! you wont regret it!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    An elliptical can be an effective tool in obtaining basic cardio fitness and weight loss. Especially for someone who can't run (knee issues, bad weather, etc.).

Going at a steady pace will allow you to burn a steady stream of calories and based on your heart rate (exertion) you will burn a mix of carbs, fat and muscle. If you're doing this in a fasted state, there will be limited carbs used, and the energy will come from fat and muscle. Studies have shown that HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) is the most effective way to burn fat. An elliptical is a great machine to do HIIT training.

After you've gotten warmed up, try adjusting the resistance (i.e., from 3 to 8) and stride as fast as you can for thirty seconds and then switch back. Let your heart rate return to where it was when you started the "sprint." Repeat this several times during your workout. Over time, you'll find you can increase the base resistance and the sprint resistance. You're getting more fit.

As for the calories burned, the machine is giving you an estimate. That estimate can be off by as much as 20%. Instead of counting every calorie burned as a reason to eat, pay attention to your energy level, your sleep quality and how you look and feel in general. That is a better gauge of whether you're doing the right things.
  • PrimalGirl
    PrimalGirl Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    An elliptical can be an effective tool in obtaining basic cardio fitness and weight loss. Especially for someone who can't run (knee issues, bad weather, etc.).

Going at a steady pace will allow you to burn a steady stream of calories and based on your heart rate (exertion) you will burn a mix of carbs, fat and muscle. If you're doing this in a fasted state, there will be limited carbs used, and the energy will come from fat and muscle. Studies have shown that HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) is the most effective way to burn fat. An elliptical is a great machine to do HIIT training.

After you've gotten warmed up, try adjusting the resistance (i.e., from 3 to 8) and stride as fast as you can for thirty seconds and then switch back. Let your heart rate return to where it was when you started the "sprint." Repeat this several times during your workout. Over time, you'll find you can increase the base resistance and the sprint resistance. You're getting more fit.

As for the calories burned, the machine is giving you an estimate. That estimate can be off by as much as 20%. Instead of counting every calorie burned as a reason to eat, pay attention to your energy level, your sleep quality and how you look and feel in general. That is a better gauge of whether you're doing the right things.

The man knows of what he speaks :-)
  • mangopeels
    Options

I agree with PrimalGirl, this is very good advice. I may try the 3 to 8 resistance, perhaps lowering my exercise on the elliptical from 75-90 to just 60 minutes if I can sustain it. Or, like what some of you said, just go hard for those 30 minutes. Maybe I'll alternate day from day, 30 minutes hard with high resistance on one day and then 60 mins the next with 3 to 8. Anyway, I appreciate the feedback overall!
  • cleogirl82
    cleogirl82 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi I have a question. If I go on the elliptical for 40 minutes and burn 501 calories at 6'0 200lbs female, is that just moderate effort or is it at the high intensity everyone's talking about.