Hello, I'm new and need help.

Options
Nic24
Nic24 Posts: 12 Member
Hi,

Today is my first day. I have been on and off diets for the last 3 years. I had my 3rd 3 years ago this November and have struggled to shift the weight. It was easy with my first 2, the weight just seemed to fall off but not this time. My job doesnt help, I leave at 7.30am (without breakfast) drop the kids off then sit in my car for 1.5 hours, then I get to work and sit at my desk 9am - 5pm, then I drive home which gets me into to my babysitters house at 6.30pm, then by the time I have the kids ready I get home at 7.30pm, so normally by the time I'm in a organised its around 8pm-8.30pm by the time I have dinner. Can anyone help motivate me or help me plan better.

Nic
x

Replies

• squishyfishy
    Options
    Hi Nic and welcome,

Why do you sit in your car for 1.5hrs? Can you not go for a walk during this time, things like cereal bars are great for breakfast on the go. Is there an event coming up that you can use to motivate yourself or an outfit you really want that could help? I've found that setting small targets like 7lbs at a time really helps instead of aiming to lose it all at once. It really is just small changes that make all the difference.
  • chroi
    chroi Posts: 20
    Options
    I don't know if this is any help to you, but this is what I do.

I have a horrible horrible time keeping habit so I'm late getting up every morning, so it's usually a rush up, dress and out the door and usually forgot about breakfast until lunch time etc. My instructor at my gym told me to have breakfast and do what it takes to get it within the first hour.

So I started using paper cups with lids and in the morning making tea/coffee and bringing it in the car with me (30 mins to work). When stuck in traffic and safe to, I'd be able to drink it and I'd have a granola bar or something like that with me to get the day started on. The cups keep the tea/coffee lovely and hot!

Have lucnh around the 1:30 mark and by then I can have a nice decent lunch too :)

Then have something small like fruit or tea and a cookie around 5pm to keep me going until later. I know it's horrible to have to eat so late, but sometimes it just isn't possible, but if you try eat more during hte day, by the time 8/8:30 comes you may only need a snack that'd be tolerable :)

That was how I worked it but work is taking a beating and just went to a 3 day week, which frees up a lot of gym time and everything for me - good side, bad side less money lol!

Good luck :D
  • clahut
    clahut Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

It sounds like it all gets a bit hectic! I can sort of sympathise as I used to commute to work, so I know what it is like to be out of the house for 12 hours and not feel like you have control.

I don't know how much I can help as I am not in the same situation as you, but I know the key to my success is planning ahead. I make sure that I have a stash of Marks & Spencer instant porridge pots in the office, and that is my breakfast at my desk. It is really filling so keeps me going until lunch.

For lunch, I try to make sure I have something made that I can just grab with me in the morning. So I will do one of 2 things - either make a salad the night before so all I have to do is grab the tupperware out of the fridge on my way out or I make a big pot of soup on a Sunday and have it ready in portions in tupperwares, again just to grab and microwave in the office (if you don't have a microwave in the office, microwave before you leave and stick it in a flask).

I am also trying to work to a menu plan for the week, so that I know what I am cooking when I get home every night, so I don't have to think about it. I do the planning on a Saturday and then shop for the week according to the plan.

As for motivation - people here are great. I have met some great people who are always quick to encourage and support when I am having an off day. But I would day that unless your head is in the right place, no one can really make you lose weight. I learned that from trying to lose weight for the past 10 years. If you are determined and committed you can do this.

Good luck - I'm sure you can do it :)

C
  • MBSNANA
    MBSNANA Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hello Nic. Welcome to MFP. I don't work outside the home but maybe I have some suggestions that might help. For breakfast how about something you can grab in a hurry. Maybe a slice of toast with some peanut butter on it. Keep fruits and vegetables in the house. You could even eat a piece of fruit while you are sitting in the car the 1.5 hours. After that how about walking before going into your job where you have to sit. Pack something the night before for lunch. Make sure to have some fruit and veggies. Don't forget the water. Drink lots of water. Now the meal when you come home. Do you have a crock pot? You can put things in to cook while you are at work and it will be ready by the time you get home. Or if you can find the time on the week end how about cooking up you meals on the week end, putting them back in the 'frig and just reheat when you get home.

Hope the suggestions help. Don't get discouraged. Just remember that as we get older the weight is harder to get off than it was a year or two before. Good luck and check the message board ofter for tips. There are some great one on here.

Kaye
  • Nic24
    Nic24 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I know the answer is time management so I will work on it. I am going to take on board your advice, taking breakfast with me in the car, investing in a crock pot or making food at the weekend, preparing lunch the night before and my event will be Christmas. Lol. I only hope I can keep it up. I am going to stay focused though. I really want to be me again.

Nic
    x