Cannot lose no matter what i do!!!!

Options
Hello all, I started my get fit journey about 2 years ago. I don't know how much I have lost because I didn't weigh myself before I started with the thought of just doing it to get healthy. Anyway I have been able to keep most of the weight/inches off since for 2 years. BUT since January of this year I had sinus surgery and was on steroids, I began to eat anything and everything, I am since off the medication and have not stopped working out but cannot lose the 13 pounds I gained in March. I workout on my lunch break about 40 minutes and do insanity on the weekends. Last year I worked out twice a day almost everyday. I have stopped the bootcamp at night due to my hour change at work. This year I am paying more attention to the scale which is probably not good anyway some days my weight is at 202 and some days it is at 207. I am on a 1200 calorie deficit but most days I eat about 1500-1700 calories a day..The scale will not move. You hear so much about eating to little or eating to much, muscle weighs more than fat, blah blah blah. But I know I have gained some inches back since last year on how my clothes fit. Working out twice a day is not realistic to me anymore because of my hour change.. I don't know what to do anymore but whatever I am doing it is not working! Any suggestions from anyone that has gone through the same situation.

Replies

• soyum
    soyum Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    How much overweight are you? If you're saying 13lbs, that's probably going to take alot longer to lose than you think due to you're already pretty much in shape.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Open your diary. It's probable that your food tracking is not accurate. I couldn't lose until I started logging everything that went into my mouth.
  • samammay
    Options
    Barring any medical issues, there is exactly one reason someone isnt losing weight: they are eating more than they are burning.

Are you logging your calories? Do you weigh everything you eat? Is MFP set properly and having you eat the correct diet? Not sure it is because there is no default setting in MFP that will allow you to eat at a 1200 calorie deficit.
  • amyruhmann
    Options
    I was at 192 and my first goal was 180. I did not reach it I am now at 202 sometimes 205. I have changed my workout a bit with more cardio but Im sure its the food intake. Its so frustrating for some people that cant have a piece of cake now and then. If I do it feels like I gain 5 pounds.
  • amyruhmann
    Options
    I log everything I eat and drink! I will probably start to no eat back my calories burned during exercise. I will be hard but I have to do it
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    No need to work out twice per day. Just need to be consistent and accurate with logging and assumptions.
  • amyruhmann
    Options
    I agree I just have to get this food intake in check! I will no longer eat back my burned calories and see what this does. thanks
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I was at 192 and my first goal was 180. I did not reach it I am now at 202 sometimes 205. I have changed my workout a bit with more cardio but Im sure its the food intake. Its so frustrating for some people that cant have a piece of cake now and then. If I do it feels like I gain 5 pounds.

that happened to me as well - i would eat at a large deficit during the week and then eat a burger and fries on the weekend and gain 2 pounds. and it stuck around.
    i have since learned that years of too much cardio and eating at too large a deficit hurt my metabolism.
    You need to figure out your TDEE and at the most a 20% defiict from that. I wish I had figured that out sooner.

Also, measure and weigh your food. that is a biggee too.
  • mrsPaananen72
    mrsPaananen72 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    How´s your thyroid?
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I log everything I eat and drink! I will probably start to no eat back my calories burned during exercise. I will be hard but I have to do it

probably overestimating your exercise calories.. eat 1600-1700 calories everyday and see what happens. Stop eating your exercise calories and try to get 150g of protein a day and measure everything with a digital scale.
  • amyruhmann
    Options
    I have had that checked and they say a little slow but nothing major
  • amyruhmann
    Options
    I do eat about 1600-1700 a day sometimes less but I don't eat 150g of protein a day but I do eat protein in every meal. Thanks
  • amyruhmann
    Options
    TDEE??? I will look that up. Thank you.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Log everything you eat, and weigh/measure what you eat. I was fascinated when I began doing this and realized just what the correct portion of certain foods were.

As for calorie burning, many people overestimate what they're actually burning. MFP doesn't help when some of their burn rates are inflated, but in MFPs defense, I beleive these numbers are user submitted. Not sure about that.

I did TDEE minus 20% and did not eat back exercise calories (because your TDEE is based on your activity level already, so this calorie burn is taken into account). That's what worked for me. That and logging and weighing everything.
  • amyruhmann
    Options
    thank you my tdee with less 20% is about 1600 calories. I will start that and not eat what I burn. I may not even log my exercise and see if this helps.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Top 4 reasons:
    1) You're not weighing food and underestimating intake (Potatoes for example list a medium potato as 148g, smallest potato in the bag was ~190g... so the calorie info on the bag was WAY off.)
    2) You're using the actual calorie numbers the various sites and machines give you and over estimating expenditure. (The formulas are notoriously bad at estimating expenditure, if you eat back calories, eat back 50-70% at MOST... or use TDEE.)
    3) You're in a plateau, eg: body readjustment (verify you're not doing #1 or #2 and keep doing the right thing, you'll get past it given a bit of time.)
    4) You've got a metabolic issue, see a doctor.

98/100 times, it's a combination of 1 & 2... but if you feel you might be contending with a real medical issue especially if you have secondary symptoms, such as thyroid or hormonal issues... SEE A DOCTOR period. My mother was losing her hair, couldn't lose weight, etc... turned out her thyroid was not functioning correctly and she had a severe vitamin D deficiency.

You are not eating at a 1200 calorie deficit between exercise and diet or you would be losing >2lbs a week unless there is some metabolic issue.

I'd suggest weighing things and being very conservative in your estimates of energy expenditure see where that gets you in a few weeks. You can log your time exercising and set the calories burned to 1 so you still have a record of actual exercise.

Edit: Calories in vs calories out. Shy the very small portion of people who have food allergies or are intolerant of certain types of food... what you eat matters little for strictly weight loss (maintaining the maximum amount of lbm, being healthier, etc are a different story, but for strictly weight loss... all that really matters is calories in vs calories out.)
  • Sarahrahi
    Sarahrahi Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hey there...
    You know sometimes more than the calorie intake you need to focus on what you eat. I started losing weight initially when I cut back on refined carbs and started increasing intake of protein and greens, and fruits for snacking. Maybe what you are eating is inhibiting your weight loss. Its a good idea to start logging into your food diary religiously for maybe a few weeks and then you will have a fair idea as to where you stand with your meals.

Hang in there. It will come off :) It always does. Just stay focused, and don't get disheartened.
  • amyruhmann
    Options
    Yes thyroid is a major issue for some people, haven't had mine checked for some time now. But I will pay more attention to my food and tdee. Thanks.
  • amyruhmann
    Options
    I am trying thank you. I do eat a lot of fruit but I do eat probably more carbs than needed. They are healthy carbs but probably to many.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Just focus on accurate food intake for weight loss. Exercise for fitness.