Advice from people who fell off the weight-loss train and go

Options
Here's my short story....In my early 20's I dropped 50lbs, made the "lifestyle" change, could have written a book I "knew" so much about weightloss, I worked for a weighloss center, my change was going to be forever, etc...etc....Move, marriage & two kids later I had weight to lose & I was back to square one....I lost over 40 lbs in my early 30's. I never made it to goal, I was within 5lbs....I have gained back 10lbs. So my question is for people who have fallen off and gotten back on the "healthy lifestyle train" what did you do until your brain "clicked" back over??? Did you "fake it till you make it?" What "remotivated you"? Tips? Ideas? Stories?
Thanks!

Replies

• Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    Almost 70 views and nobody has any advice??:ohwell:
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Hey there mammokatspokane!

I'm one of those and just now crawling back on the wagon - for the zillionth time.

I'm an academic, so for me, I have to sit and pick everything apart in my head about myself, my motivations, my desires, what I need to know, what information am I missing and so on and then I have to make the conscious CHOICE to move forward and then just do it. If I think to much about the action part, I won't engage in it. If I sit around too long (which I'm verging on as I type!), I won't do it. So, that's the time when I have to turn off the brain and turn on the body and just get off my tushy and DO IT. This goes both for eating and working out. I'd rather "fill up" on coffee than eat and I'd rather respond to a long email from my best friend than work out.

But we know where that gets us - and before I know it, the day is gone and I've done - guess what? Nothing. I have to NOT think and just DO.. once I've decided what it is I need to do.

I don't know if that's helpful, but it's how I operate. :-)
  • thirtyby40
    thirtyby40 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I can relate but don't really have any advice. It is a daily battle for me to stay on the wagon. I am educated bout what I put in my body and how to fuel it properly but I have struggled so much to force myself to do it lately.

I think my problem is I am okay with how I look right now so I don't try to get down to goal because it takes a lot more effort than just maintaining. Not very inspiring... I did start logging again last week and I am working up to working out 5 days a week again. I got in 3 last week I am hoping for 4 or 5 this week.

Anyways sorry no advice. But I am hoping you get some that could perhaps aid me too! :smile:
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Been in your shoes for years, and then it affected my health. I knew, if I didnt lose the weight, it was going to kill me.........that is now what "clicked in my brain"

High blood pressure , and shortness of breath convinced me to stay focused, and dont let failure become an option.........

I think, knowing that obesity kills is what clicked for me.. You are fortunate in the respect of a less weight loss than most. I iknow you need to lose 10 lbs, and its important to you and your health. Maybe , just knowing that you dont have to lose 100, or 150 lbs could be insentive to keep it off......its easier to lose 10 lbs than 100, so maybe that could be a goal.......Good luck, Lloyd
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    i vote fake it till you make it. i am currently struggling but if i can track my food and preplan the meals it helps. I still hate working out but i make myself do it daily and i tell myself i feel good and had fun. reality i was miserable the whole time and was counting down till it was over. the way i figure it is someday it will click into place and i will be consitant. i hope that when the scale and reflection show me what i want i will say this works and it was worth it! I keep a variety of work out options and try to set goals such as running a 5 k in december (with my hubby) so that i am forced to keep working. I am signed up so now i need to do it!
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    When I have fallen off the train it helps for me to do something new and exciting. Like a new video or workout routine. When I fell off the wagon back in January I joined a gym and lost 45lbs in the first 3 months!!!
  • Mamakatspokane
    Options
    Thank you all! I know just being on MFP and participating on the boards helps....I think I just get bored and need to mix things up after a year.
    Keep the ideas coming!
  • thirtyby40
    thirtyby40 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I do think that regular participation on the boards helps. I read once that people who spend at least 10 minutes a day reading about health and nutrition are more likely to stay on top of things.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    i vote fake it till you make it. i am currently struggling but if i can track my food and preplan the meals it helps. I still hate working out but i make myself do it daily and i tell myself i feel good and had fun. reality i was miserable the whole time and was counting down till it was over. the way i figure it is someday it will click into place and i will be consitant. i hope that when the scale and reflection show me what i want i will say this works and it was worth it! I keep a variety of work out options and try to set goals such as running a 5 k in december (with my hubby) so that i am forced to keep working. I am signed up so now i need to do it!

yep, i'm faking it! i'm miserable, but i'm convincing myself that this is AWESOME!!! I haven't signed up for anything yet, the thought makes me queezy...but I'm glad you put a name to my madness!
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Bump for ya'!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,740 Member
    Options
    Bumping so I can find this when I have time to reply properly. :flowerforyou: You're worth much more than an improper reply. :tongue:
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    So... my story in a nutshell: hit 235 lbs as a 25 year old (I'm only 5' 3.5") and decided enough was enough. From Sept of last year to January of this year I lost about 30 lbs... then I let life get in the way, started making excuses and regained a little over half of that. I had a couple false re-starts and went up and down between 210 and 220 for a month or two. Since then, I've been "reborn" and am now down to about 193 (34 lbs down from starting MFP weight, 42 lbs down from heaviest weight).

I think every person has to go through his or her own process, and no one's process is going to be the same. I can tell you what worked for me - I took a good, hard, serious look at my life - all areas - and realized I wasn't living up to my potential. I journaled, I talked to myself, I talked with a therapist, I talked with my mom who is also striving to live a much healthier life. I've made a lot of changes over the last year, and eating healthy and exercising is only part of it. I realized I was cheating myself out of a healthy adulthood. I didn't WANT to be fat... and I don't have to be. I was allowing procrastination and laziness to infiltrate many part of my life. I wasn't the adult I wanted to be. I had to admit all of this to myself and take FULL responsibility for who I was and why I wasn't who I wanted to be, and I had to realize that there were no excuses for why I couldn't be who I wanted to be.

It really was a largely internal process, but in doing all of that (which took quite a while), something clicked, and I know with absolute certainty that I'll never go back to who I was before. I'm not perfect - I have my bad days, but overall my life is a complete change from where it was a year and a half ago.

A easy exercise I would recommend to anyone struggling with motivation/falling off the wagon is to make an honest list of all the reasons you want to lose weight. They can be selfish, silly, odd, serious - whatever the real reason are that you want to become healthier. Write it down and read it out loud. Keep it handy - anytime you feel your motivation slipping, read the list and decide if it's really worth giving up on all of those reasons. If you ignore that list, you are disrespecting yourself.

I would also recommend the book called "The Beck Diet Solution" - despite the name, it's not about diets, it's about how to change your thinking so that you can more successfully change your habits. It really helped me a lot!
  • AGG115
    AGG115 Posts: 62
    Options
    I'm having a seriously hard time. I'm hanging on behind the wagon and getting dragged in the dirt. I just love being sedentary, plus it's so much work to pack a one year old up for the gym daycare. I'm just trying to have a ton of salads and hope that will help.
  • Mirabilis
    Mirabilis Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I did Weight Loss Clinic in the 1980s, and it cost about $15 per pound. I was as expensive as steak!

It was really good, with food and exercise journals, nutrition and psychological counselling. I hit a maintenance weight and then.... because it was a pay service, I obviously couldn't stay on it, and they turned me loose upon the world. Maintenance was not what they were in business for. I didn't have a support system and honestly "normal people" don't have a clue what losing 50 lbs. means, or in my case, 65.

I had all sorts of unwanted attention that I had never in my life had before, mainly from men I had to reject after a lifetime of being rejected in various ways (it felt so bad to disappoint them, knowing how it feels) and although I didn't want to be fat then, it was way safer. There were also ancillary problems with self-image because although other people thought me attractive (apparently) after losing 65 lbs., I didn't see anything different in the mirror. I've been working on that one.

After a long period of reflection and various yoyo diets of differing kinds, and *ahem* turning 50, I realized that my problems with self-confidence had more or less evaporated (not entirely, but I can now tell people nicely where to go if they need to go). I also determined that the WLC diet was the best one I had ever been on, sensibility wise, and then I found MFP, which is the same thing, free PLUS has a support community which I desperately need.

For me, I have reached one inescapable conclusion, that being that I have no idea about portion control (not to mention a bad memory for it) and that I have to weigh and log everything, including food and exercise. It is a life-long endeavour and no temporary fix. I do not intend to wave farewell to this site at any time and I will keep that commitment to myself to the best of my ability. Because otherwise, I will fall off the wagon just like I did before, not deliberately, but because some other thing or issue got in the way somehow.

AND when I'm down, I have you to give me a lift and that's the best of all :flowerforyou:
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,740 Member
    Options
    I've gotten on and fallen off more times than I can count. I think the difference for me this time is that I am motivated by my health and fitness, whereas before, I was looking for motivation in my appearance. I've known about how to lose weight for years, and I would apply it long enough to get within 15 pounds of my ideal weight, and then for some reason, I'd let it all slide. I can't even explain to myself why I did that before, except I think I didn't deserve it or wasn't worth it, or something. I really don't know. Something clicked a year ago. It was the combination of my dad's death, facing my 50th birthday in a year, and finding MFP all at the same time that made it all come together for me. For the first time in my adult life, I've gotten to my ideal weight, and I truly see myself as a strong, healthy, fit person. That didn't happen overnight, but it did happen. My suggestion would be to make the commitment to yourself now and then "fake it 'til you make it."
  • Mamakatspokane
    Options
    Accountant_boi - Thank you for the story!! I found it super motivating!

AGG115 - Hang in there!!!!

Mirabilis - Your right, when I'm down I have all of you!

Jill - Thank you!!!!
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I lost 105 pounds and SWORE I'd never put it back on. It took 5 years but I did allow myself to go back up 40 pounds. In August I started faking it till I made it and now I crave the movement. I ate this weekend at a wedding and it made me queasy and when I say "ate" I mean really ate. Losing the weight and being healthy takes time and investment in yourself and a lot of us blow our own selves off for "later". I turn 40 next year and realize my kids are already down one parent so I'm all they have. This is the youngest I will ever be again so I decided I have to do it now.
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    This is such a good topic. Yes, I am now at maintenance or within 3 pounds of my goal -- 135 pounds (5'8"). My heaviest weight was about 210 I think. I was a size 18w for a long time. Now I am a 8 - 10.

How did I do it exactly? Not really sure. Like everyone, life "got in the way,". Concerning myself with my family, step children, my companies, my husband's illness, paying bills ... LIFE. We all have problems. I forgot to make myself a priority. The weight just crept on and I was too distracted to worry about it.

Most of us know what to do in order to lose the pounds. With MFP I am forced to focus and concentrate on me. For the first time I feel fully aware of what I am doing. This program makes tracking everything so easy. Looking well and staying at a good weight takes work. Finally, I am concentrating on me. Finally, I believe I am worth it.

Hope this helps some. Add me as a friend if you'd like. I love encouraging others to reach their weight loss goals.
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    bump
  • slm638
    slm638 Posts: 64
    Options
    As you can see, I've been a member of MFP since 2008 and as of today, I've lost ONE pound. (Endless Halloween candy doesn't help the weight loss effort - Imagine that!)

I've got no answers, so reading this thread has been helpful...my most recent success is that I found a coworker that lives in the same part of the city as me that might be my new workout buddy. We'd aim for 2 - 3 days/week to start, but hopefully increase from there...first time in a while I've been excited :)