Feeling like too much of a failure to start over.

Options

Replies

• newjojie
    newjojie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I like this quote it has helped me through some of those same feelings. "Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm - Winston Churchill" Maybe it will help you too.:flowerforyou:
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    "When you are sick and tired of starting over, stop quitting".

I saw this quote on another thread, makes sense, doesn't it?

'Losing it right' is one thing, but if you didn't make a permanent lifestyle change then it stands to reason you would gain it back. You're not supposed to 'diet', you're supposed to change your habits for the rest of your life. You did it once, do it again; this time permanently.
  • walzllw
    walzllw Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you how many times I was in your exact situation. The difference for me this time and the reason it is working is because I just keep going, even when I have a terrible day (or two or three or four). Every day I wake up and try to do better then the day before. Each meal I try to make a better choice then the one before it.

For example yesterday I ate half a loaf of italian bread with my lasagna (despite telling myself that I would only have two pieces) and boy am I feeling bad about that choice today. In the past I would have given up because I would have seen the higher weight on the scale and would have felt like a failure. Now I know better and that one bad choice will not ruin all the progress I have made. Today I will do better.

Make small changes that you can sustain. I know you want this. You can do this. Friend me if you want some support and encouragement :)

Same for me!
  • leanne9876
    leanne9876 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I could have written this post. I lost about 15kg last year so I decided to relax a bit over xmas and new year. Just a few naughty things now and then but once I started being naughty I couldn't stop. Holiday season was well and truly over but I kept telling myself it's ok you'll get back to gym very soon. Well very soon turned into 8 months :( I gained back 13kg.
    I finally went back to the gym and I have now lost 7 kg. I hated myself for what I had done. All that hard work for nothing. It was a hard lesson to learn. I've struggled with my weight my whole life. I have now realised that there is no quick fix.
    I didn't gain this weight over night and I won't be able to lose it over night. It's going to be an ongoing battle for the rest of my life.
    But If I don't try I'm just going to keep getting bigger and bigger and bigger.
  • singglory24
    Options
    Failure is when we don't get back up and try again.
    I am starting over, again.
    I lost 30 pounds and put on 35.
    Got disgusted with myself, pouted and called myself names, thought why try any more and ate the pizza and ice cream just for spite.. Decided it is time to stop being cruel to myself. To stop calling myself names (especially failure) and get back to the business of taking care of myself.
    You have a very full schedule, sounds stressful. You don't sound lazy to me, just a bit overwhelmed.
    So first off and most importantly stop beating yourself up. ]
    With your schedule sounds like eating out is necessary so make healthier choices. There really are quite a lot of foods out there that won't explode your calorie count, waistline or pocketbook.
    You already know how to do this, you have proven you CAN do this, so be kind to yourself. If you must call yourself names - motivated, capable, smart, diligent, hardworking, aspiring, successful - these would be good ones for you to use.
    Remember every day has different challenges. Some days we will score higher than others. Key is to keep going.
    Good luck in your efforts.
  • dirtmagnets
    dirtmagnets Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hey, my friend - I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said, but didn't want to pass this without saying something. I KNOW for a fact that you can do it. You were such an inspiration to me in the spring, with a dedication that I still can't quite seem to equal! It's not like you're starting from scratch, anyway - what was that about a 5K this past weekend, followed by an amusement park? I think I would have died. Give yourself credit for being the strong person you are, sweetie.
  • osothefinn
    osothefinn Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be snarky, but when you really want to lose the weight - you will. There's no magic formula, pill, no amount of support that will make it happen until you are ready.

Someone told me this years ago - and it was the truth. I've been plodding along for 16 months now and I just have to get up, eat right and exercise every day. No excuses.

Quoted for truth.
  • dominiqueruns
    dominiqueruns Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    So much supportive advice on this thread! it's been helpful to me just reading it!

Yes, many of us have been exactly where you are. I too am an emotional eater. I've lost the same 40 lbs at least 4 times now...but the only way to truly fail, is to give up. As long as you keep trying, you'll get there!

One thing I would suggest is that you focus less on your long term goal and more on short term goals. Fitting into one size smaller, or even having your favourite jeans fit a bit looser! After all, even a 5-10% weight loss will allow you to feel so much better! it will motivate you to keep on going!

Put one foot in front of the other, making as many healthy choices as possible in the run of a day, and be patient with yourself. You'll get there!
  • jennybennypenny
    jennybennypenny Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. My advice is set small achievable goals. Log your current food if you think that's helpful, but if it makes you freak out (OMG I ate 3500 cals today I am beyond help!) then don't for awhile and just focus on your small goals. I've been a yo-yo dieter and getting where I am now was a long process. The time it actually stuck was when I just started making small changes.

Examples: Set a number of times you want to walk per week. Do it and feel good that you did. Then up the distance but keep the number of times/wk the same, or add one per week. When you want to eat out, decide not to a few times. That's a step in the right direction. Or change up what you normally get. Usually get a burger? Get a grilled chicken sandwich. Once you've made some small good changes, then start logging and it won't feel so big and huge. And set small weight loss goals--5 lbs at a time. You'll be there before you know it and it won't feel like you're changing everything in your life all at once.
  • joyincincy
    joyincincy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Now I eat out (mostly fast food) for almost every meal - I think I ate one meal at home last week. Part of this is time - I am taking 18 hours of classes and work about 25-30 hours a week. Mostly, though, it's just laziness and a genuine enjoyment of eating out, even though now I feel like absolute crap every time I do it. I can't afford it anymore, financially, emotionally, or physically, but I keep doing it.

I feel so overwhelmed and frustrated, and I feel like such a failure. I need some serious support here. I desperately want to get back on track but I just can't get over the mental hurdle of feeling like I'm too far gone. :(

You need to seriously consider finding a way to automate your day. Find 2-3 breakfast, lunch and dinner ideas (centered on whole foods that are convenient or foods that are healthier than what you have been eating everyday) and eat those in rotation for a few weeks while you get yourself to a place where you are not so overloaded with obligations. Perhaps until the end of this semester and then take less classes next semester. Seriously, no need to rush out of college, b/c the job market sucks! If you already have an offer and are speeding through to get to that point, then continue on with the automated daily food schedule. Also, keep your sodium levels low, low, low - and avoid alcohol, if possible, as these two factors play havoc on two things, your bloat (thus weight each day can bounce like crazy) and appetite, everyone who has ever drank a bit too much knows what I mean here. You will begin to get bored with some items, but it is important to log very closely when making changes to see what kind of impact it will have on your caloric intake for the day. This can also cause cravings, especially if you eat certain foods that were triggers for you in the beginning. For me, I can't eat dairy, but I choose not to eat gluten, except on rare occasions, however will say that m overall chronic pain subsides greatly when I take it out of my diet.

LEARN to love convenient fruits and veggies. I know how it feels, you think people are looking at you thinking to themselves, Oh there's the fat girl eating a banana, (apple, nectarine, etc,etc) when she should she be eating nothing." WRONG! If there are any of those people thinking that, f$#* them and their thoughts, real people think, NOTHING. They are too consumed with their own lives to give a damn what you are eating, so eat what is good for you. Seriously, you are way too young to do this to yourself and way too pretty to let it rob you of that special gift that you were given. I gained weight after returning to school at the age of 28, talk about a hardship - losing weight in your 30s! Don't let this happen to you.

I probably will get "shot" for this, but don't even worry about the exercise yet. If you can, always try to walk to class, work, etc, but don't try doing too much at once as it will only overwhelm you. Also, don't expect it to all change in a month or two, or expect to lose weight quickly, b/c you won't and you shouldn't (no one really wants cottage cheese thighs, do they?)

You can do this, just try to do it so that you are not putting more burden and stress on yourself, it sounds like that is the last thing you need.

Good luck girl - you will get through this (((hugs))) :smile:
  • joyincincy
    joyincincy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I like this quote it has helped me through some of those same feelings. "Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm - Winston Churchill" Maybe it will help you too.:flowerforyou:

LOVE IT!
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    There's no where to go but up... or down in this case. :tongue: When you fall do you just sit there, NO, dust yourself off and get up and try again. And you may fall again, but if you surround yourself by positive people you will have help along the way!

You can do this.
  • whisker84
    Options
    From your title: "Feeling like too much of a failure to start over."

What's the alternative to starting over? Giving up? Dying? I'll restart a million times before allowing the alternative.
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    YOU can do this... nobody is a failure unless they want to be...you are still here....You can do this just get back on the horse and get going... we are all here to help... all of us have fallen off but we get back up rdust ourselves off and tackle the biggest challenges...YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I'm where you are now. Mine is due to thyroid issues but that is just an excuse to not be diligent. I'm writing because I have major depression issues as well and one thing that makes it worse is diet soda. I don't know if it is the aspartame or not. I only drank one a day but those days were worse. If you drink diet soda do an experiment to see if that make your depression or lack of will power worse. You have come to the right place. You can do this, too!:wink:
  • Patzycakes
    Patzycakes Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Sometimes a bad day can last a year. You are not starting over. You already have all the knowledge and experience to get you where you need to go.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Sometimes a bad day can last a year. You are not starting over. You already have all the knowledge and experience to get you where you need to go.

So true!

OP please also realize, It takes time to adjust/progress! I restarted post surgery 2 weeks ago, yesterday my scale finally started to shift. Keep moving you will see!
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    99% of people fail before they succeed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

THIS!!!
  • St_Paul
    St_Paul Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You're not the only one this has happened too. The good news is you've proven to yourself you could do it once, SO you can do it again. AND this time you'll know your pitfalls. I'd say you're in a good position to change! Good luck!
  • Carnivorekat
    Carnivorekat Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    You only fail when you stop trying - I have lost weight and put it back on and yoyo'd all my life, but I know that if I stopped trying I would be the size of a house by now - so I can only keep trying as one day it will all fall into place and it will work for me