feeling guilty

Options
Has anyone else out there cut out eating the foods they like because they deem them as "bad". I feel like I shouldn't should it, but I'm cutting out everything that I considered "bad" food in order to help me lose weight . I'm sure everyone will tell me that there is no such thing as "bad" food and that you can fit it into your diet. I guess I think that I gained weight from eating these foods, so I shouldn't eat them anymore right?

Replies

• NarneyK
    NarneyK Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Personally I can't cut out all the so called bad food. When I label something as a BAD, then I just want it more. That's when I end up binging and beating myself over it.

So right now I eat everything and anything as long as it fits into my cals. The only thing I don't have are donuts, and that's because I lack all control when donuts are around. Everything else, I eat if I can fit it in my cals. It is easier this way for a long term plan.

How long are you going to be able to stay away from the BAD stuff? Lifetime? Probably not. So might as well learn how to fit it into your life.
  • JADEPH0EN1X
    JADEPH0EN1X Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I used to cut every thing that was bad out but again I became obsessed with wanting what I couldn't & ended up binging on it too . I've learned to have a bit of what I want & then my mind knows its not forbidden . Since ive been doing this I haven't had a binge !!
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Personally I can't cut out all the so called bad food. When I label something as a BAD, then I just want it more. That's when I end up binging and beating myself over it.

So right now I eat everything and anything as long as it fits into my cals. The only thing I don't have are donuts, and that's because I lack all control when donuts are around. Everything else, I eat if I can fit it in my cals. It is easier this way for a long term plan.

How long are you going to be able to stay away from the BAD stuff? Lifetime? Probably not. So might as well learn how to fit it into your life.

I think I can stay away from these things, but should I?
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    You gained weight from eating at a caloric surplus. You could do that with any food, so by your logic you should just cut out all food and stop eating.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    You gained weight from eating at a caloric surplus. You could do that with any food, so by your logic you should just cut out all food and stop eating.

^^ This. I thought I was eating "healthy" but my portion sizes were way too big. "BAD" food simply means much smaller portion sizes. Guilt is not a positive emotion and it will not help you succeed. If you want a little "bad" food go ahead but remember to control the portion.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    IN for the food shaming
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I guess I think that I gained weight from eating these foods, so I shouldn't eat them anymore right?

You and I are both subject to the laws of thermodynamics. It wasn't any particular food that did it...it was overconsumption...energy (calorie) surplus...not any particular food that made you or I fat.

I eat a lot more nutrient dense than I used to for sure...and I eat a lot less junk than I used to for sure...but I haven't eliminated anything from my diet.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options

^ THIS
  • thekyleo
    Options
    why do I even post on the boards if it's just trolls going around
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

Why do I even bothering posting advice and information on the boards if it's just ignorant trolls who don't want to actually take any sound advice offered?

Looking through your post history, speaking of trolls.... :huh:
  • cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    What it is really about "Nuts & Bolts Stuff" - "Self Control & Will Power" is what I hear you saying you are having a problem with. It is wise to keep the things you cannot control out of your home till you can. Hang in there, and keep moving forward.:flowerforyou:
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I had to cut out a lot of stuff that I sincerely enjoy eating when I started Atkins... I'm looking forward to reaching my goal weight within a year or so because when I go into maintenance I can enjoy some of those foods again :) It's all about perspective.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I label foods good and bad, and many variations in between. The more "bad" it is, the more rarely I eat it. But my labeling is about health benefits or detriments and not about weight loss. I've thought of food this way for decades so I gained weight on mostly "good" foods. Just too many of them. Many of my favorite foods are "good" foods.

But, weight loss is such a personal thing. If you feel you need to cut these things, then perhaps you do. At least at first. Some people find it hard to stick to a calorie goal while eating "bad" foods because it triggers them to overeat.

But at some point you'll have to decide what you will do when you get to goal. Cut these foods out forever? Add them back slowly and in moderation? Will moderation be possible after depriving yourself for so long, or will you go hog wild and overeat to the point that you undo all your hard work?

Only you can answer those questions for you.
  • thekyleo
    Options

Why do I even bothering posting advice and information on the boards if it's just ignorant trolls who don't want to actually take any sound advice offered?

Looking through your post history, speaking of trolls.... :huh:

yea...maybe what you think is trolling I was acutally asking for advice
  • thekyleo
    Options
    What it is really about "Nuts & Bolts Stuff" - "Self Control & Will Power" is what I hear you saying you are having a problem with. It is wise to keep the things you cannot control out of your home till you can. Hang in there, and keep moving forward.:flowerforyou:

thank you
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

No, the bigger question is... why are you asking such basic advice after already losing 82 pounds? Don't you already know what works for you?
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    nope, I eat whatever I want to,,,, I just go work it off.
  • thekyleo
    Options

No, the bigger question is... why are you asking such basic advice after already losing 82 pounds? Don't you already know what works for you?

actually I don't know what works for, I had "bad" foods in the past but now since I have stagnated losing weight. I'm thinking of cutting them out all together
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    If it works for you, then do it. Personally, if I were to cut Ben & Jerry out of my diet, it would only serve to make me want them more and I would end up falling off the wagon and HARD. If I eat badly, I (try) to workout extra to compensate.
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what you consider bad...