Why are US meal portions so big??

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    ETA: These threads are always lightening rods for these types of xenophobic attitudes, and it's one of many reasons that I have continued to respond. The true colors of some have started to come out.
    Because you want to look xenophobic?
    Did you actually just accuse BeachIron of xenophobia? For real?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    ETA: These threads are always lightening rods for these types of xenophobic attitudes, and it's one of many reasons that I have continued to respond. The true colors of some have started to come out.

Did you lose the reading comprehension game?
    Or did you actually look at a question as a statement or accusation?
  • rml_16
    Options

My reading comprehension is fine. A question mark in that context often denotes sarcasm. Just an FYI.

So either you're being facetious or you're accusing him. Since you made the statement, you should probably be the one to clarify the meaning.
  • camp_bell
    Options
    One thing that I've learned after living in the UK for 27 of my 44 years is that the Brits Love to slam everyone. As an American who's lived here for 23 years, it means being pissed off a lot.

Personally, I blame Fox News for making the whole country look bad, because that's where most of the idiocacy comes from.
    Um, FOX News has been around since the late 1990s/early 2000s. This anti-American attitude has been around a LOT longer than that.

If you're going to quote someone, quote their words. Do not change their words to better suit your disagreable response.

P.S. You misspelled "idiocy" when you rewrote his quote. The auther spelled it correctly.
  • dbmata
    Options

My reading comprehension is fine. A question mark in that context often denotes sarcasm. Just an FYI.

So either you're being facetious or you're accusing him. Since you made the statement, you should probably be the one to clarify the meaning.

A question mark at the end of a sentence denotes a question. Just an FYI.
    Some appropriate synonyms are: inquiry, and query.
  • paruls86
    paruls86 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    And I thought this was about food.... WOW
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    One thing that I've learned after living in the UK for 27 of my 44 years is that the Brits Love to slam everyone. As an American who's lived here for 23 years, it means being pissed off a lot.

Personally, I blame Fox News for making the whole country look bad, because that's where most of the idiocacy comes from.
    Um, FOX News has been around since the late 1990s/early 2000s. This anti-American attitude has been around a LOT longer than that.

If you're going to quote someone, quote their words. Do not change their words to better suit your disagreable response.

P.S. You misspelled "idiocy" when you rewrote his quote. The auther spelled it correctly.

LOL, she quoted before the "OP" edited her post. The quote is more than likely accurate.

Look at the times.
  • lynnerack
    lynnerack Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Well for what it's worth the OP of the original thread never "bashed" anyone, merely pondered about her impression of enormous portion sizes when she travelled the US, and the subsequent food waste that this results in. A view which was echoed by plenty of others on the thread.

She was subsequently called a xenophobe and racist by people who were seemingly taking this observation terribly personal and seeing it as an onslaught of all things American.

Thank you size 10! For goodness sake what on earth are you all getting so worked up about. I love the USA, I love your beautiful countryside, I love your diversity, I love your wildlife, I love your people. Everyone I met whilst travelling was courteous, kind and nice, not like some of the people that have beaten me up about one remark that wasn't directed at anyone, only directed at a plate of food. Now for goodness sake, give it a rest!
  • rml_16
    Options

The author edited her post after I quoted her.
  • camp_bell
    Options

LOL, she quoted before the "OP" edited her post. This is most likely the accurate post.

Look at the times.

In that case, those involved shall resume their weapons and continue. Just wanted to make sure everyone was keeping it fair. :smile:
  • rml_16
    Options

OK then.

You clearly know more about writing than I do. :flowerforyou:
  • dbmata
    Options

OK then.

You clearly know more about writing than I do. :flowerforyou:

I clearly know I don't need to be white knighted when I'm asking a ******* question.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I clearly know I don't need to be white knighted when I'm asking a ******* question.

He stated why he keeps posting in the thread. You posted what you did as a question. Do you not see how that reads as a sarcastic accusation?

If I'm wrong and your intention was something else, feel free to explain. But so far you've only convinced me that was, in fact, what you meant.
  • dbmata
    Options

He stated why he keeps posting in the thread. You posted what you did as a question. Do you not see how that reads as a sarcastic accusation?

If I'm wrong and your intention was something else, feel free to explain. But so far you've only convinced me that was, in fact, what you meant.

I'm sorry, I think you're laboring under the belief that I'm asking you something, or that I'm hoping to get some sort of input or insight from you. I appreciate your attempts to add to my body of knowledge by attempting to address a question which is not yours, but at this time, I have no questions, queries, or inquiries that are appropriate to you.

Thanks for your understanding in this matter. Should you have any feedback, please let us know in a customer service survey we will be sending within the next 48 hours. Again, thank you for your patronage.
  • rml_16
    Options

I'm sorry, I think you're laboring under the belief that I'm asking you something, or that I'm hoping to get some sort of input or insight from you. I appreciate your attempts to add to my body of knowledge by attempting to address a question which is not yours, but at this time, I have no questions, queries, or inquiries that are appropriate to you.

Thanks for your understanding in this matter. Should you have any feedback, please let us know in a customer service survey we will be sending within the next 48 hours. Again, thank you for your patronage.
    In other words, you were accusing one of the most-traveled, most open-minded people I ever met of being a xenophobe.

Thank you for clearing that up.
  • osothefinn
    osothefinn Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Um, yes it has, particularly since WW2, when rich Americans flashed their chocolate and silk stockings at British girls while Britsih boys were dying in trenches in Europe.

When I moved here in the 80s, it was Ronald Reagan making us look stupid. Just google Ronald Reagan Spitting image puppet for an example. Then we had George Warmonger Bush and that moron Sarah Palin to make US expat lives a real hell, but the current load of brain dead poisonous bile is spilling out of Fox News. The fact that anyone defends that PoS just add fuel to the fire.

Way to just take a political dump all over the thread and rip on half the population. Go you.
  • lynnerack
    lynnerack Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Um, yes it has, particularly since WW2, when rich Americans flashed their chocolate and silk stockings at British girls while Britsih boys were dying in trenches in Europe.

When I moved here in the 80s, it was Ronald Reagan making us look stupid. Just google Ronald Reagan Spitting image puppet for an example. Then we had George Warmonger Bush and that moron Sarah Palin to make US expat lives a real hell, but the current load of brain dead poisonous bile is spilling out of Fox News. The fact that anyone defends that PoS just add fuel to the fire.

My grandfather died working to liberate France, his father's home country, from the Nazis while flying out of the U.K.

I think that line of B.S. about American servicemen has been played long enough. Besides, it's not like the British have much room to talk on issues like this, particularly when it comes to colonization.

But that's an entirely different issue, and an entirely different way to fan the xenophobic flames.

I was unaware of the WWII reference. I assumed she was talking about before the US sent in troops. Though there were many Americans who chose to fight for the British before the US entered the war. I don't know, but maybe that should count for something?

And who cares what "rich Americans" were doing? What perecentage of the population does this even account for?

Both of my grandfathers fought in that war. Luckily, both came home. My father's father was on his way to Japan when they dropped the bombs. I probably would never have been born if that hadn't happened.

But, yes, let's use a 70-year-old horrible event to judge everyone.

Yep. People look for excuses to hate, and they will always find one.

You especially!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Dude. Seriously?
  • dbmata
    Options

In other words, you were accusing one of the most-traveled, most open-minded people I ever met of being a xenophobe.

Thank you for clearing that up.

roflcopter

ETA - Thanks for being deliciously funny.
  • Asheriee
    Options
    How did this go from meal portions to WWIII? Seriously?

Every country has it's faults. Some more than others. But that doesn't mean that we can stand around trying to argue about things that don't need to be argued about. Instead of talking about things that tear people apart (politics) we talk about something that brings people together (food).

I feel as though since it's going on 2014 I would hope that more people could have an open and UNDERSTANDING mind.

This whole thread turned into a battle field. Everyone has a difference of opinions but why can't we understand that concept? I don't agree with everything that all of my friends stand for but they're still my friends because I know not everyone thinks like I do.

What's the difference between telling someone that their country is wrong and awful or calling them fat? You're pointing out a flaw that doesn't even make sense. Just because a group of people is doing something doesn't mean that every person of that same culture stands behind them.

You all realize that bantering back and forth is going to get the parties involved nowhere?

Everyone on this site is here for more or less the same reason. We all are human no matter where we are from and we obviously have the same struggles. Weight loss. Weight gain. Muscle gain. Whatever. We should understand that we are alike and ignore the fact that some things are different about us.

It seriously pains me to see how quick people are to go at each other throats.