I need help :-(

Options
2»

Replies

• chi_chi_22
    Options
    Well 900 calories is definitely not going to help you. Second, a person that is 5'7 is kind of tall for 130 lbs. It's only a few lbs away from being under weight. What you shoudl concentrate is looking to lose fat, not weight. Muscle is more dense, so the more you have, the tighter your body will be (shown below) and the faster your metabolism will be. Even though you have a knee injury, you still have the ability to do some upper body workouts. So start lifting concentrating on the upper body. You can do a bunch of moves on the bench. Also, you need to increase your calories. This is possibly why your body is fighting you. When you starve your body, your body will prevent weight loss by slowing your resting metabolic rate and it will release cortisol (stress hormone) to preserve your body.

One of the reason you may also think you have a bloated belly is the lack of muscle you have (especially being 97 lbs). If you don't have muscle, then your body will lack definition. This is why it's important to maintain lean body mass during weight loss. Also, when you have more lean body mass, the stronger you will be and less susceptible to injury. Ideally, you want muscle to support your body, not your ligaments.

So what I recommend, up your calories (probably close to 1700 and adjust macro's to incorporate more protein. I would recommend 40% protein 30% carbs and 30% carbs. Also, even though you don't have celiac, it's possible to have a gluten intolerance, so you could always cut it out at some point if you still struggle to lose weight.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

i will increase my calories thank you... i am new to this lol... all my life i have been trying to gain.. now i am tring to loose...
    The reason i said 130 is because when i started gaining weight at 140 i started to look fat... My frame is so small... but maybe it just seemed a little heavy for me because it was 40lbs heavier then i ever was quickly.
  • R4eBro
    R4eBro Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Cycling? Doesn't put a lot of pressure of the knees. There are upper body exercises you can do with your arms that will raise your heart rate. Google it!!
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Don't panic. It took a while to gain the weight and it will take a while to lose it. Focus on your diet. Make sure you get enough to eat, but eat healthy foods.

I have torn meniscus in both knees. I tried everything, including braces and even a walker! I had a horrible time! I finally got the book "Heal Your Knees" by Robert L. Klapper and Lynda Huey and I did the exercises in there religiously. My knees are great now. I can't do everything I'd like to do, but I can work out as long as I'm careful. I still do those exercises 3 times a week to keep my knees working. I have been lifting weights for nearly a month now, including squats and lunges. I wouldn't get the surgery unless you've tried everything else. It's only effective for some people.

You can do this! You're young and your body is strong. But you need to focus and take care of it. And be patient. :smile:

I quoted not because I've had the same issues but sounds like great advice. I would get that book and do the exercised that they recommend. Eat as healthy as you can and it will happen!
  • PatriciaR1958
    PatriciaR1958 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    have you been tested for celiac? if I remember correctly, it is commonly diagnosed in people with endometriosis. I'm no doctor though, and I would assume that your doc would have brought this up?

yes I have been tested. My 3 year old actually has it.

Chi chi - Celiac issues are auto-immune, and also run in families. And, if you're found to "not" have it, don't necessarily swear by that. You could have a "sensitivity". Also, have you seen a Gastroenterologist for a colonoscopy? There's so so many things that could cause your problems.
    I like that comment put in about swimming. I didn't realize there were gyms with pools. I thought only the "Y" had it. I'm a lousy swimmer but can do it good enough not to drown. Maybe I can wear my mu-mu in the pool, 'cause I don't want to be caught dead in a barely-there outfit..... :wink:

You folks have some great ideas..... Another one mentioned at least working the upper body. I remember when I was using my little 5lb weights that the arms got stronger, but my metabolism also increased. Just wish my thyroid would work enough to help me remember to do these things I want to do!

Ah, idea! I downloaded a great app for my phone: zdclock (?) that I set for so many other things. I'll set it up to remind me to do the curls and lifts, and have my son do them at the same time! :blushing:
  • SpleenlessGal
    SpleenlessGal Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Well 900 calories is definitely not going to help you. Second, a person that is 5'7 is kind of tall for 130 lbs. It's only a few lbs away from being under weight. What you shoudl concentrate is looking to lose fat, not weight. Muscle is more dense, so the more you have, the tighter your body will be (shown below) and the faster your metabolism will be. Even though you have a knee injury, you still have the ability to do some upper body workouts. So start lifting concentrating on the upper body. You can do a bunch of moves on the bench. Also, you need to increase your calories. This is possibly why your body is fighting you. When you starve your body, your body will prevent weight loss by slowing your resting metabolic rate and it will release cortisol (stress hormone) to preserve your body.

One of the reason you may also think you have a bloated belly is the lack of muscle you have (especially being 97 lbs). If you don't have muscle, then your body will lack definition. This is why it's important to maintain lean body mass during weight loss. Also, when you have more lean body mass, the stronger you will be and less susceptible to injury. Ideally, you want muscle to support your body, not your ligaments.

So what I recommend, up your calories (probably close to 1700 and adjust macro's to incorporate more protein. I would recommend 40% protein 30% carbs and 30% carbs. Also, even though you don't have celiac, it's possible to have a gluten intolerance, so you could always cut it out at some point if you still struggle to lose weight.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

5'7" isn't kind of tall for 130 lbs. I'm 130 lbs now and actually looking to lose about 10-15 lbs. I'm definitely nowhere near underweight. I mean obviously I'm not overweight either, but I've got a decent amount of flab. When I was 115-120 I was actually at my ideal weight. I looked damn good. Now I've got a pudgy stomach. Must lost that pudge and add some ab and arm exercises, get some nice muscles back again. :)

But I definitely agree that increasing calories is important. At a higher weight, you do need the extra calories. Gradually decrease them as you lose weight, but don't start off with too little.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

5'7" isn't kind of tall for 130 lbs. I'm 130 lbs now and actually looking to lose about 10-15 lbs. I'm definitely nowhere near underweight. I mean obviously I'm not overweight either, but I've got a decent amount of flab. When I was 115-120 I was actually at my ideal weight. I looked damn good. Now I've got a pudgy stomach. Must lost that pudge and add some ab and arm exercises, get some nice muscles back again. :)

But I definitely agree that increasing calories is important. At a higher weight, you do need the extra calories. Gradually decrease them as you lose weight, but don't start off with too little.

121 is considered under weight according to the charts I have seen. And if you are 120 @20% bf, it only leaves 96 lbs of lbm which isnt much. I generally see those numbers in women around 5'2. I know some will say its a small frame but that really means low lean body mass. Unfortunately too many people associate looks with weight but really its the composition. This is why you can find a similar person that weighs 20 lbs more than you and be more lean. That and take into consideration bone structure (wide vs narrow frame) and bone density.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/army/l/blweightfemale.htm
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    You're going at it like a bull at a gate aren't you. :D

Us old fogeys know that doesn't actually work.

Work out your maintenance quantity of calories. That's what the machine tells you you need. make sure you're on 'sedentary.'

Now, ask the machine to drop you 1lb a week. Remember this: if you go over your diet amount, but under your 'maintenance' amount, you will still lose. Be very careful about refrigerator raids and 'oh well just this once' type treats that hubby might bring home. It's a disaster waiting to happen.

Expect to lose nothing for 2 weeks of every month, and then play hurry-up catch-up for the other two.

Do lots of tummy exercises. :) Crunchies and such. START OUT EASY. don't beat yourself to death here - gently does it! You need to slow down and take it a bit more quietly or you'll wrench some other part of yourself. :)
  • PatriciaR1958
    PatriciaR1958 Posts: 10 Member
    Options

I'm 5'1"... When I'd lost weight at age 20, I got down to 116lbs. I looked anorexic 'cause I have so much extra weight in my thighs & butt - so, the weight ALWAYS comes off my face & top first. MY goal is 130 to 150. Yes, a little "overweight" (some here will say that's a LOT overweight, but I know my body type, and coming from around 265lbs - it's a great improvement!), but when I remember how absolutely sickly I looked at 116, and all the comments I got that I looked ill, I NEVER want to be there again. Isn't it fairly safe to say that: 1) It depends on your body TYPE / shape; 2) What weight do you feel good at; 3) What do others say when you are at a certain weight????? I have a sister that's 5'9", and I cannot imagine here at 140 / 150.... Sometimes these weight charts just are NOT totally right. Of course, this is just my very humble opinion!
    Curious - What weights do your weight charts (ladies in this group) say you should be, and for what height; and, what weight do YOU feel good at? Just wondering out loud..