Worked out my TDEE, now I have some questions

Options
I've worked out my TDEE, I put in all the relevant details INCLUDING exercise 5 x per week. This is the result:

BMR = 1358
TDEE = 1986
Fat Loss (Reckless -25%) = 1490

1. Does this mean that my total calorie intake daily should be 1490?
2. Do I still add my exercise burn calories to the 1490 and eat those too?
3. On the days that I don't exercise, do I still consume 1490 calories or do I consume only the BMR amount (1358)?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    1. Yes, this is what you can eat to lose weight.
    2. No, your exercise calories are included in the 1986.
    3. I do, yes. Since you already entered how much you work out per week, this number averages out over 7 days regardless of what days you work out.
  • CarynMacD
    Options
    Thanks a stack. I think I will find the TDEE Calorie goal a lot easier to achieve. The MFP plan was so high in calories, that I have been battling to eat them all. :drinker: ....... except on the days when I fancy a beer or six!
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    OH wow lucky you!

No matter what, MFP gives me 1200. Even if I change my goals and my activity and my weight loss speed. 1200 keeps popping up.

Ah well, I eat at 1500 and I bloody love it! haha
  • CarynMacD
    Options
    Now that my macros are set, they conflict with the MFP goals. Is there a way of adjusting one's macros on the MFP site?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Set it to 20%, not 25% deficit. Because you have only about 30 pounds to lose, 25% cut is too much. When you are at 15-20 pounds to go, dial it back to 15% deficit. At 10-12 pounds to go, make it a 10% deficit.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    OH wow lucky you!

No matter what, MFP gives me 1200. Even if I change my goals and my activity and my weight loss speed. 1200 keeps popping up.

That's because TDEE is a different formula than MFP. MFP does not include exercise until you log it and it expects you to eat that back.

OP -

TDEE you eat the same amount everyday. It is averaged over a week. So you eat 1490 everyday. You do not log and eat the exercise calories when using TDEE.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Set it to 20%, not 25% deficit. Because you have only about 30 pounds to lose, 25% cut is too much. When you are at 15-20 pounds to go, dial it back to 15% deficit. At 10-12 pounds to go, make it a 10% deficit.

This. And also, since you only have about 30 pounds to lose, I would make sure my NET doesn't go below my BMR, at least most of the time, and you should refigure your BMR after every 5 lbs lost.
  • CarynMacD
    Options
    You ladies are awesome! Thanks. I'll recalculate at 20%.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Yes

No...TDEE is TOTAL Daily Energy Expenditure...this includes all of your estimated exercise calories up front...they are included in your activity level. With MFP, they are NOT supposed to be included in your activity level...they are accounted for after the fact when you log them and get the increased calorie goal. Either way you're eating them back...with MFP you're doing it directly...with the TDEE method you're doing it indirectly by including that estimate in your activity level.
    3. On the days that I don't exercise, do I still consume 1490 calories or do I consume only the BMR amount (1358)?

Most people who utilize TDEE don't really calorie cycle...it nets out over the course of a week. You're likely to have days where your deficit is bigger and days when it's smaller and/or non-existent...it's supposed to net out over the course of a week if you're doing it right.
    I think I will find the TDEE Calorie goal a lot easier to achieve. The MFP plan was so high in calories, that I have been battling to eat them all

Then you're doing something wrong. It should come out about 6 of 1, half dozen of the other roughly. Either you have underestimated your TDEE with the TDEE method or you were overestimating your calorie burn with the MFP method.

Just as an example...my MFP net calorie goal to lose 1 Lb per week was 1,850...with exercise I was averaging around 2150 gross calories consumed per day. My TDEE is roughly 2,700 calories...my TDEE - 20% to lose roughly 1 Lb per week is 2,160 calories. As you can see, there is a mere 10 calorie difference between the two methods and I gave myself about 100 calories either way without getting too fussed.
    Now that my macros are set, they conflict with the MFP goals. Is there a way of adjusting one's macros on the MFP site?

Did you manually set your calorie goals? You'd do it in the same area where you customize your goals.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I've worked out my TDEE, I put in all the relevant details INCLUDING exercise 5 x per week. This is the result:

BMR = 1358
    TDEE = 1986
    Fat Loss (Reckless -25%) = 1490

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

1) Yes
    2) No
    3) Yes
  • CarynMacD
    Options

Yes

No...TDEE is TOTAL Daily Energy Expenditure...this includes all of your estimated exercise calories up front...they are included in your activity level. With MFP, they are NOT supposed to be included in your activity level...they are accounted for after the fact when you log them and get the increased calorie goal. Either way you're eating them back...with MFP you're doing it directly...with the TDEE method you're doing it indirectly by including that estimate in your activity level.

Most people who utilize TDEE don't really calorie cycle...it nets out over the course of a week. You're likely to have days where your deficit is bigger and days when it's smaller and/or non-existent...it's supposed to net out over the course of a week if you're doing it right.
    I think I will find the TDEE Calorie goal a lot easier to achieve. The MFP plan was so high in calories, that I have been battling to eat them all{/quote]

Then you're doing something wrong. It should come out about 6 of 1, half dozen of the other roughly. Either you have underestimated your TDEE with the TDEE method or you were overestimating your calorie burn with the MFP method.

Just as an example...my MFP net calorie goal to lose 1 Lb per week was 1,850...with exercise I was averaging around 2150 gross calories consumed per day. My TDEE is roughly 2,700 calories...my TDEE - 20% to lose roughly 1 Lb per week is 2,160 calories. As you can see, there is a mere 10 calorie difference between the two methods and I gave myself about 100 calories either way without getting too fussed.

Did you manually set your calorie goals? You'd do it in the same area where you customize your goals.

My exercise intensity has been fluctuating as I am still figuring out what, when and how works for me, so on some days, like today, I had to eat back just over 800 calories and found it an impossible task.

I much prefer the TDEE approach. It is more consistent and better from a food planning perspective.

Thanks for all of your advice.
  • tanikatrusty
    Options
    I am so confused lol. I did my numbers but dont understand them completely. It said
    BMR=1585
    TDEE=2180
    Daily calories based on 20% calorie reduction=1744

How is it that you're able to eat more than your BMR and still lose weight? because i don't think I could eat 1744 calories anymore unless I got a Big Mac in one of those meals lol. I hate to have asked a similar question to the creator's but I read all of the responses and I'm thinking how in the world?
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I am so confused lol. I did my numbers but dont understand them completely. It said
    BMR=1585
    TDEE=2180

How is it that you're able to eat more than your BMR and still lose weight? because i don't think I could eat 1744 calories anymore unless I got a Big Mac in one of those meals lol. I hate to have asked a similar question to the creator's but I read all of the responses and I'm thinking how in the world?

Your BMR is what your body needs jus to support organ functions/staying alive. On top of that you move around every day and expend more energy. That total is your TDEE - total daily energy expenditure. You need to eat below TDEE to lose weight. Or at TDEE to maintain.
    TDEE includes BMR as well as daily life, like walking to your car, even sitting at a desk, brushing your teeth and your additional exercise.

It's not hard to eat more. Most people who find it hard to eat their calorie goal are "dieting" as in severely restricting what they can and can't eat or eating a lot of "Low fat/light/low calorie" foods. Simply switching out those light products can up calories without increasing food intake. Or adding nuts, nut butters, olive oil, avocado and other calorie dense foods can up calorie intake without eating huge amounts of food.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    OH wow lucky you!

I was the same way, no matter what i put in i get 1200. I just adjusted mine manually today and will see how it goes.
  • FeleciaMiller
    FeleciaMiller Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    BMR=1585
    TDEE=2180

Your BMR is what your body needs jus to support organ functions/staying alive. On top of that you move around every day and expend more energy. That total is your TDEE - total daily energy expenditure. You need to eat below TDEE to lose weight. Or at TDEE to maintain.
    TDEE includes BMR as well as daily life, like walking to your car, even sitting at a desk, brushing your teeth and your additional exercise.

It's not hard to eat more. Most people who find it hard to eat their calorie goal are "dieting" as in severely restricting what they can and can't eat or eating a lot of "Low fat/light/low calorie" foods. Simply switching out those light products can up calories without increasing food intake. Or adding nuts, nut butters, olive oil, avocado and other calorie dense foods can up calorie intake without eating huge amounts of food.
    [Yes!]
  • tanikatrusty
    Options
    ok so if I want my MFP to read anywhere close to being accurate with the TDEE system, do I make my NET calorie goal 1434 since 1 of my daily excerises is a total of 308 calories burned?
  • Kari121869
    Kari121869 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm glad she posted about this as I'm a little confused too - which is maybe why my loss hasn't been too continual.
    Here's my stats:

BMR is 1467
    TDEE is 2119 - 20% (I want to loose another 20 or so lbs) = 1695
    Im' 43yrs old, 5'4 and presently 182.3lbs. I try to do at least 25 min exercise 5 x a week; however I KNOW I'll do at least 3x a week - all depends on my schedule if I can fit the other 2 sessions in.

So am I correct that I should be setting my goals to 1695 cals/day?? I have a hard enough time eating the 1450 cals I had previously set myself to!

Any help is really appreciated... and feel free to add me as a friend for support!
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    ok so if I want my MFP to read anywhere close to being accurate with the TDEE system, do I make my NET calorie goal 1434 since 1 of my daily excerises is a total of 308 calories burned?

I just set my calorie goal to the TDEE goal. Some people don't log exercise but if you like to (I do) you can manually change the calories to 1.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I'm glad she posted about this as I'm a little confused too - which is maybe why my loss hasn't been too continual.
    Here's my stats:

BMR is 1467
    TDEE is 2119 - 20% (I want to loose another 20 or so lbs) = 2119.

Im' 43yrs old, 5'4 and presently 182.3lbs. I try to do at least 25 min exercise 5 x a week; however I KNOW I'll do at least 3x a week - all depends on my schedule if I can fit the other 2 sessions in.

So am I correct that I should be setting my goals to 2119 cals/day?? I have a hard enough time eating the 1450 cals I had previously set myself to!

Any help is really appreciated... and feel free to add me as a friend for support!

What did you choose to get your TDEE? How active is your daily life before exercise? How intense is your exercise?

ETA - I ran your numbers and see how you got that.

2117 is your TDEE if you used light exercise. You need to eat less than that. At a 20% deficit that would of you around 1693. That is the number you should be aiming for.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    If you want to log your exercise accurately, just remember that you don't eat back those calories mfp is trying to get you to. Stick to your TDEE-calculated calorie intake that you've sent. I use a blend really...let mfp decide it (then made it stay at 1360 instead of trying to force me to 1200 as I lost weight), but I calculated my tdee at about 1700. If i eat back exercise calories, I wind up right around the 1700 anyway. So if I set my calories for 1700 and logged my exercise on mfp, it would tell me to eat 1700 + those exercise calories...so if you're doing it that way, just either set calories burned for 1 or just ignore the additional calories and stick to your base calorie goal. MFP is just set up to want you to eat back calories burned.