Recovering Anorexic period problems, I need advice/help

Options
This one is for the ladies out there:
First, here is a summery of my story.
I recovered from anorexia about 2 months ago, I had it for over a year and am officially 'recovered' (Not that I will ever lose all the anorexic thoughts, its kind of a part of me now)
More than a year ago I lost my period and haven't had it since (about 3 months after the anorexia started, it stopped) I was down to 115 pounds at 5'7" which is in the danger zone.
Since I am now up to about 150 (which by the way is really scary for me, it feels like I am so fat yet) But it still has not come back. I have been attempting to eat around 1800-2500 calories a day. I am attempting now to tone up and be more fit (I do Jessica Smiths workouts on you tube, they are really fun and she is so supportive!)
So, my question is, does anyone have and tips or advice about why I havent gotten it back? I am really worried about it, because I might want to have kids some day, and right now, that is impossible if I don't get it back. Any help out there?

Replies

• littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    It could just be a matter of time, while your body gets used to having a healthy amount of fat.

However, I do know that some people whose periods have been absent for various reasons (low weight, stress, depo, pcos, etc.) will sometimes use the pill to "jump start" it. It's not a true period, just bleeding due to hormonal withdrawal, but it often gets your body back in the cycle. Your doctor will know more about it, if you want to go that route.
  • kristineevans12
    Options
    Be patient as long as your body fat is up to a good level it should come back. I lost mine for the same reason, had to get body fat up to 23% for me but it came back and now 9months later I'm pregnant! You've only been recovered for a short amount of time compared to how long you were ill for so keep the healthy fats up and things should return in the next few months x
  • Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. :flowerforyou:
  • Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Be patient as long as your body fat is up to a good level it should come back. I lost mine for the same reason, had to get body fat up to 23% for me but it came back and now 9months later I'm pregnant! You've only been recovered for a short amount of time compared to how long you were ill for so keep the healthy fats up and things should return in the next few months x

Thanks, and Congratulations! :bigsmile:
  • Shateyn
    Options
    I haven't had mine since February and my bmi was only as low as 18. When I went to the doctor he said to be patient and my body will take however long it takes to get back to normal. He recommended getting some blood work done just to be 100% sure and rule out anything else that may be going on. Have you had any blood work done? Also, even though you are back to a normal weight now (Congratulations, by the way) you're still exercising and that can signal the body that it's not ready to start the cycle again. I don't think you should quit exercising by any means since it makes you feel good but just be aware that it could be a contributing factor so you're not worrying about it so much. Good luck and you're not alone!
  • Sporks42
    Sporks42 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have no advice for you, but congratulations on beating it, and getting to a healthy weight!!! I wish you the best of luck continuing your healthy life, and for the return of your monthly.
  • Jerica6917
    Jerica6917 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Congrats on overcoming a horrible disease! Far as I know I, I don't your reproductive system is actually damaged. Your body just sees it as an unnecessary waste of nutrients that can be shut off in serious situations (i.e. malnutrition). Im not sure of the timeframe it takes for it to come back. Think of your body as a dog who's been beaten and flinches at any hand gesture coming towards it. It's going to make sure the "coast is clear" before it says okay we can support extra functions outside of keeping you alive. The eating disorder in conjunction with other things such as caffeine or stress can also stave off your cycle too. I would go in for a pap & a gyn know whats up. My sis's, who's an extremely light eater, had sporadic cycles. She was placed on temporary hormones & bc to get her started regularly. That was a few yrs ago & now she has 16 mnth old. So no worries. Congrats on your recovery again!
  • arikag
    arikag Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have had a similar situation- I got down to low weight and I haven't had my period for the past 8 months. I've gained back weight but have not gotten my period yet. I visited my doctor, which I would recommend you doing! They tested for Polycycstic ovarian syndrome, as well as ran some blood tests. My new doctor also prescribed me to take progesterone for 7 days, to see if that can "induce" a period, or at least a bleeding type of thing. Supposedly this will let her know if my hormones are out of wack. I'm on day 3 of the medication, so we'll see! So far, no period.

Best of luck to you!