thenewmanda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I wear contacts and I had no problems.

good to know!
  • thenewmanda
    Options
    just did it this saturday....

1. if you want to take pictures take your phone. just put it in a ziploc baggie or tape a strong clear tape around it first. wipe it down before you take it out.

2. have fun, take your time at the color stations, get covered.

3. if you really want to run, (it's not a timed event) take whatever you take to track your runs, they are notoriously late getting out of the gate. For example I was in the 9:40 wave but we didn't get let out of the gate till sometime after 10, the camera at the end recorded us as crossing the finish line at 20 to 11....

4. baby wipes and ziploc bags to put color stained stuff in once you get back to your car are awesome.

5. A towel to put on your seat when you drive home is also awesome.

6. watch for kids they are EVERYWHERE and it's awesome, but they love to suddenly stop in the color stations, be careful you don't mow one over, especially if you are running.

7. take friends.

Good advice, thank you!
  • ChrisRiches
    ChrisRiches Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I also wear contacts and had no problems. Just make sure you have a pair of sunglasses that have large lenses - ones that cover the sides too would probably help. Failing that - maybe swim goggles?

Bigger issue - getting the dust in your mouth at the stations because you are laughing so much. maybe a bandana, or just pulling your t-shirt up over your mouth in the colour stations would help.

Didn't bring the iphone with me, and glad I didn't - the dust was everywhere!

Most important - HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I am signed up and the run is on Saturday, I'm curious about other people's experience with it. Did you like it? Any tips to make it most enjoyable?

have fun pick up as many bags of color as you can and throw at friends. before my friends and i even started we were covered in color. since it's an untimed race enjoy yourself, high five people, dance, etc. get your picture taken. try to keep your mouth closed when you run through the stations. bring plastic to line your car and a change of clothes/shoes. the stuff will seep through your clothes on to your skin. the blue is the hardest to get out of your hair.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    just did it this saturday....

1. if you want to take pictures take your phone. just put it in a ziploc baggie or tape a strong clear tape around it first. wipe it down before you take it out.

2. have fun, take your time at the color stations, get covered.

3. if you really want to run, (it's not a timed event) take whatever you take to track your runs, they are notoriously late getting out of the gate. For example I was in the 9:40 wave but we didn't get let out of the gate till sometime after 10, the camera at the end recorded us as crossing the finish line at 20 to 11....

4. baby wipes and ziploc bags to put color stained stuff in once you get back to your car are awesome.

5. A towel to put on your seat when you drive home is also awesome.

6. watch for kids they are EVERYWHERE and it's awesome, but they love to suddenly stop in the color stations, be careful you don't mow one over, especially if you are running.

7. take friends.

All of this. I did it saturday as well but I went alone. I had fun but it would have been more fun with more people. Really show up, have fun.
  • keithjleslie
    keithjleslie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    They are a blast. put coconut oil in your hair sometimes the color sticks. After my first one I had pink hair for about 3 weeks. I put coconut oil in my hair for the next one and had no problem.
  • thenewmanda
    Options
    They are a blast. put coconut oil in your hair sometimes the color sticks. After my first one I had pink hair for about 3 weeks. I put coconut oil in my hair for the next one and had no problem.

Thanks, I've heard about conditioner but not coconut oil. Hopefully I can avoid the pink hair now, thank you!
  • dlibonati
    dlibonati Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    prancing > running

Hah, our team name for an upcoming run is Pantone Prancercisers
  • ErinMcMom
    ErinMcMom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm pulling this thread back up to see if there is anything else I should know.
    I've just signed up for Toronto Color Me Rad (on May 31st) and I'm really glad to hear that it's laid back. Currently I can only run 1k and then speed walk the other 4k, but it sounds like that won't be an issue at all!

Some questions:
    Could you bring an iPod to this event to blast some fun music, or is there music blasting anyway?
    What do you do with your stuff during the event? (keys, wallet, purse, towel, change of clothes) Are there lockers? Nobody in the pics has a bag.

I need logistical help:
    I'll be taking the train downtown (a 45 minute ride) and a taxi to the park the race is taking place in (20 minute cab). I'll have to take the cab and train on the way home but I'll be covered in colour and I'm worried they won't take me covered in dyed cornstarch and there won't be a place to shower, will there be a changing area?...
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I'm pulling this thread back up to see if there is anything else I should know.
    I've just signed up for Toronto Color Me Rad (on May 31st) and I'm really glad to hear that it's laid back. Currently I can only run 1k and then speed walk the other 4k, but it sounds like that won't be an issue at all!

Some questions:
    Could you bring an iPod to this event to blast some fun music, or is there music blasting anyway?
    What do you do with your stuff during the event? (keys, wallet, purse, towel, change of clothes) Are there lockers? Nobody in the pics has a bag.

I need logistical help:
    I'll be taking the train downtown (a 45 minute ride) and a taxi to the park the race is taking place in (20 minute cab). I'll have to take the cab and train on the way home but I'll be covered in colour and I'm worried they won't take me covered in dyed cornstarch and there won't be a place to shower, will there be a changing area?...

can't help with logistical questions because not from your area

yes you can bring an ipod just keep in mind everything and i mean everything will at one point or another will get hit with color and it does seep through clothes.

you keep it in you car - take key and tie it to shoe laces. or you give to friends to hold. some races have bag check (check the faqs on your race's webpage to find out if there's bag check) but none of the races i've done have ever had lockers.

changing area ummm port a potty can make for a VERY VERY QUICK changing area. or just bring a big towel wrap around you and change. yup i've done a lot of races - modesty is the first thing that goes after you've done a few.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Im glad this post was resurrected. Great tips.

I am doing the Surrey, BC run end of May.
  • Libi_KK
    Libi_KK Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Excellent tips, thanks.
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Good tips! I'm doing my first Color Me Rad 6/21!! Can't wait!!