OH MY GOSH! WHAT ARE THEY THINKING?!

Options
The Worst Restaurant Breakfasts in America
http://health.yahoo.net/experts/eatthis/worst-restaurant-breakfasts-america

Remember when Britney Spears was a baby-faced singer with some cute dance moves? Remember when Lindsay Lohan was a funny actress who made neat movies? Remember when Tiger Woods was a great golfer who never made a wrong move?

Remember when breakfast was the healthiest meal of the day?

Food marketers didn’t shave Britney’s head, or sneak rum into Lindsay’s Coke, or teach Tiger how to text message. But they sure have done a job on breakfast. And that’s too bad, because a smart breakfast ought to be the most important meal of the day. And eating a good one ought to be easy. Studies show that people who take time for a morning meal consume fewer calories over the course of the day, have stronger cognitive skills, and are 30 percent less likely to be overweight or obese.

But when food marketers get their hands on it, “a hearty breakfast” turns into something more like “a heart-unhealthy breakfast.” Because an unhealthy heart is exactly what many of the country’s most popular breakfast joints are setting you up for, by peddling fatty scrambles, misguided muffin missiles, and pancakes that look like manhole covers. These foods are loaded with unhealthy fats, added sugars, and refined carbohydrates, which catapult your blood sugar, sap your energy levels, and tell your body to store fat. Start your day this way and you’ll be ready for a second breakfast—and a nap—before 11 a.m. To help you avoid the morning mishaps, we searched out the good, the bad, and the greasy and uncovered some of the best and worst breakfast foods in America.

#6: Worst Breakfast Beverage
Starbucks Iced Peppermint White Chocolate Mocha with whole milk and whipped cream (venti, 24 oz)
720 calories
27 g fat (17 g saturated)
103 g sugars

Pure black coffee is one of the world's most potent elixirs. In fact, research shows that a morning cup can help decrease your risk of Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's disease, and type-2 diabetes. That’s good news, since 77 percent of U.S. adults over 18 years of age drink coffee on a daily or occasional basis. But here’s the problem: There's a big difference between an untainted cup of joe and the souped-up, sugar-loaded blends (this particular drink contains 26 scoops of sugar) that list coffee as one of the ingredients. And this Iced Peppermint White Chocolate Mocha is the definition of caffeinated indulgence. You can switch to an equally delicious and refreshing drink (Starbucks has plenty, such as the caffe mocha, which is still coffee with chocolate in it, after all), and cut 520 calories in the process!

Drink This Instead!
Iced Caffe Mocha (16 oz, no whipped cream)
200 calories
6 g fat (2.5 g saturated)
26 g sugars

Bonus tip: Daily e-mails (or tweets) that contain weight-loss advice remind you of your goals and help you drop pounds, researchers from Canada found. I'm partial to the instant weight-loss secrets that you'll get when you follow me on Twitter here.

#5: Worst Pastry Breakfast
Cinnabon Regular Caramel Pecanbun
1,100 calories
56 g fat (10 g saturated, 5 g trans)
47 g sugars

This isn’t breakfast—this is dessert. And an atrocious one at that. The only speck of nutrition to be found in the bun comes from the nuts. Too bad they’re coated in sugar. This dangerously bloated bun contains nearly an entire day’s worth of fat and more than half of your daily allotment of calories. That’s as much as you’ll find in 8 White Castle hamburgers. The Cinnabon Stix below are far from a healthy breakfast, but they're better than nothing (albeit barely).

Eat This Instead!
Cinnabon Stix
379 calories
21 g fat (6 g saturated, 4 g trans)
14 g sugars

Bonus Tip: Improve your health and lose weight at the same time by adding these 10 Surprising Superfoods to your diet.

#4: Worst Scrambled Eggs Breakfast
Bob Evans Border Scramble Biscuit Bowl
1,028 calories
57 g fat (25 g saturated)
3,055 mg sodium

Bob Evans also offers a Border Scramble Omelet, which contains nearly 400 fewer calories than this overflowing biscuit bowl. The difference in is the bowl itself (several hundred calories of carbohydrate-loaded dough) and the cheese sauce—this biscuit bowl boasts a Queso sauce that no one in his or her right mind would consider a healthy topping. Instead of switching to the Border Scramble Omelet, however, cut another hundred calories by choosing the Garden Harvest, which is also loaded with vegetables.

Eat This Instead!
Garden Harvest Omelet
542 calories
38 g fat (17 g saturated)
1,762 mg sodium

Bonus Tip: Walking into a restaurant doesn't have to feel like a stroll through a minefield. Check out these Top Restaurant Swaps for Instant Weight Loss, ripped straight from the pages of the all-new 2011 edition of Eat This, Not That!

#3: Worst Breakfast Sandwich
Denny’s Grand Slamwich
1,320 calories
90 g fat (42 g saturated, 1 g trans)
3,070 mg sodium

Word to the wise: If a restaurant menu item is named for its monstrous size, there’s not a chance it’s good for you. Words like “Grand” and “Big” and “Double” are all tip-offs: Steer clear of this Frankenfood at all costs. This ginormous breakfast sandwich comes with a day and a half worth of sodium, as much saturated fat as you’ll find in 42 strips of bacon, and the caloric equivalent of four and a half cheeseburgers from McDonald’s.

Eat This Instead!
Veggie-Cheese Omelette
500 calories
37 g fat (12 g saturated, 0 g trans)
940 mg sodium

Bonus tip: For more freaky food inventions like the Grand Slamwich, check out our shocking list of the Worst Food Creations of 2010.

#2: Worst Pancakes
Friendly’s Apple Caramel Walnut Pancakes
1,540 calories
30 g fat (11 g saturated)
2,290 mg sodium

Friendly’s has one of the worst breakfast menus of any restaurant we’ve seen—we had to customize the “Eat This Instead” order below to make it even worth considering. Quick tip: When eating at Friendly’s, never order anything sweet or pastry-like, like these pancakes. No matter what you’ve ordered, you’re guaranteed at least 900 calories. And that’s before you get to the sides. For the best breakfast meal, choose protein-rich foods, like eggs, and skip all sugar- and carbohydrate-laden sides, like toast, muffins, or pancakes.

Eat This Instead!
Super Sizzlin’ Bacon Combo (with 3 scrambled Egg Beaters, hold the toast)
570 calories
29 g fat (5 g saturated)
1,310 mg sodium

Bonus tip: Most people wouldn’t assume pancakes are a healthy choice. But what about those who are trying to eat healthy and end up with a plate full of calories and fat? To see how that’s entirely possible, check out our list of 20 Salads Worse Than a Whopper.

#1: The Worst Breakfast in America
Cheesecake Factory French Toast Napoleon
2,460 calories
61 g saturated fat
1,769 mg sodium
246 g carbohydrates

The Cheesecake Factory never fails to amaze us. This outrageous restaurant consistently earns the title of “Worst” on nearly every list we create. Their French Toast Napoleon is no exception—it contains well over a day’s worth of calories (that’s about the equivalent of 19 bowls of Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal, to give you some idea). It also has 61 grams of saturated fat (three times your daily limit). The only saving grace here is that not all of Cheesecake’s breakfast items are inedible. You’ll be safe if you stick to the healthy (and healthy sounding) scramble, below.

Eat This Instead!
Shiitake Mushroom, Spinach and Goat Cheese Scramble
570 calories
16g saturated fat
994 mg sodium
13 g carbohydrates

Bonus Tip: Improve the way you look and feel—fast and forever—with these 25 Best Nutrition Secrets Ever! They've helped people lose 10, 20, 30 pounds or more in record time--and can help you too! (Bonus: You don't have to stop eating your favorite foods or go on a diet.)

Replies

• mookiemoo
    mookiemoo Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    How can anyone think that something with over a thousand calories in it should go on a breakfast menu ???
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Interesting.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how people can eat that much and feel good afterwards! YIKES!:noway:

They don't, that's the point! We as Americans are so concerned with how it tastes on our buds, that we feel like the after effects of bloating, constipation, and possible sugar coma are worth it because it tastes soooo good. I don't feel that way anymore -- well about a lot of things, though. Sometimes I'm okay with the bloating and constipation after pizza if it's REALLY good pizza and I ate well throughout the day, haha.

As for mookiemoo, I don't think anything over 1000 calories should be on ANY menu unless it's a body builders restaurant, lol!
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    That's crazy.. I wonder if there should be laws or at least regulations placed on food. Seems odd.. but you have a quota on the amount of fish that can be fished per season and there are hunting regulations.. Maybe it's time to put regulations on calories served in restaurants?

Imagine only being able to serve meals that are 500 calories or under. If not that, then they should at least state the calories in each meal. I don't know if some people realize how many calories they are eating. I want to give them the benefit of the doubt rather than assuming that they just don't care..
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Honestly I was surprised by the "eat this instead" section. That food while it may appear "healthier" then the first option, still has WAY too many calories, fat, sugar and sodium for my liking. In some cases its half of what you should have in a day! - that's not healthy for one meal.

But I think you make a really good point - people need to be educated about what they put in their mouth. I bet almost all of us (myself included) before MFP would have eaten some of those choices thinking we were eating healthy with no idea of what was really in it, and no thought to actually check. Thanks to MFP I check before I eat most of the time.
    Thanks for sharing.
  • xXmimiXx
    xXmimiXx Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Oh god...who eats out at restaurant for BREAKFAST?! All of that food sounds soooo unhealthy and awful! I'll stick with my porridge thank you! :laugh:
  • sharonuk10
    Options
    Best option eat at home.. fix it yourself.
  • deshaine
    deshaine Posts: 195
    Options
    How can anyone think that something with over a thousand calories in it should go on a breakfast menu ???

Logically... if you consume more calories at breakfast, you have the 'potential' to burn them off throughout the day. This works for some people that are very heavy and therefore, alotted more calories to lose weight. Most people benefit from a steady stream of meals/snacks spread throughout the day to keep motabolism chugging right along.

Personally... I do, occassionally, eat a huge breakfast, especially if I know I will be out and unable to get to a meal/snack within a reasonable amount of time... I am sure I have consumed a breakfast that large (1000+ cals) in the past, that is how I got over weight to start with... :\
  • LisaGamerGirl
    Options
    i'm just shocked by those huge numbers! i think i'd have a huge sugar crash leaving the restaurant and wouldn't make it home :P
  • kcurtis05
    kcurtis05 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Honestly I was surprised by the "eat this instead" section. That food while it may appear "healthier" then the first option, still has WAY too many calories, fat, sugar and sodium for my liking. In some cases its half of what you should have in a day! - that's not healthy for one meal.

But I think you make a really good point - people need to be educated about what they put in their mouth. I bet almost all of us (myself included) before MFP would have eaten some of those choices thinking we were eating healthy with no idea of what was really in it, and no thought to actually check. Thanks to MFP I check before I eat most of the time.
    Thanks for sharing.

I was shocked by the whole article! I completely agree. I think people know that they are eating a lot of calories, but I don't think they know that it is THAT much. Thank you MFP!!!

I like the idea to regulate what is being served! That would make it easier to choose what to eat when going out, as well as a healthier America!
  • jenni185
    Options
    That's crazy.. I wonder if there should be laws or at least regulations placed on food. Seems odd.. but you have a quota on the amount of fish that can be fished per season and there are hunting regulations.. Maybe it's time to put regulations on calories served in restaurants?

Imagine only being able to serve meals that are 500 calories or under. If not that, then they should at least state the calories in each meal. I don't know if some people realize how many calories they are eating. I want to give them the benefit of the doubt rather than assuming that they just don't care..

Why does it need to be regulated? What happened to people using common sense?!?! If you plop your butt down at a fast food joint, Denny's, iHop, etc. you should not expect to be eating a healthy breakfast. These places are notorious for their fat/calorie/sodium content in ALL foods served. It's not the government's job to intercede when I decide to eat an excessive amount of calories. I can see having them list the nutritional date of their food, but that's about it.
  • dore0021
    dore0021 Posts: 137
    Options
    HAHAHA I totally would have LOVED eating all of those things.... that's why I'm here :-)
  • Wendy543
    Options

i agree with posting how many calories or nutritional facts on each meal on a menu but i dont think regulating what people eat would be the best idea, since we live in a free nation and are to make our own choices, instead maybe we should take responsibility for our own eating habits and try and change them.. i admit i used to eat like that cause it tasted good, not anymore tho!
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options

sugar coma

Mmmmmmm....... sugar coma, with a side of bacon .....:tongue:
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options

sugar coma

CHRIST DON'T MAKE ME LOL LIKE THAT WITH 84 OZ OF WATER IN MY BLADDER
  • kcurtis05
    kcurtis05 Posts: 530 Member
    Options

sugar coma

CHRIST DON'T MAKE ME LOL LIKE THAT WITH 84 OZ OF WATER IN MY BLADDER

LOL:laugh:
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I have to say, the French Toast Neopolitan sounds yummy! But at 1.5x my daily calorie allotment, there is not a chance that I will be getting anywhere near it! I can see myself having ordered that before though without really thinking about it. Thankfully, I know enough now not to. I wish we had the rules here to post calorie count on menus, thats the reason why Wendy's is my favorite fast food place! Its the only one where the calorie count is clearly posted inside every building!
  • NYIceQueen
    NYIceQueen Posts: 1,423
    Options
    I agree with putting calorie counts on menus, but I'm soooooo tired of the government regulating every little part of our lives. I know if I go to Cracker Barrel and have my breakfast that it better be on my "cheat day", and I usually go at an in between time so I'm not hungry for lunch (I have a small bowl of red pepper soup, or an apple or something tiny).

In any event, I don't need calorie counts to tell me that my breakfast is loaded -- country ham, eggs over easy, hashbrown casserole, sour dough french toast. That's why I only go there for Mother's Day, and maybe 2 other times in the year :-)