How do you cope with your late night cravings?

Options
2»

Replies

• Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    1: go to sleep, maybe

2: drink coffee

3: eat a pickle, 0 calories, it's substance, watch the sodium though

4: eat a little of what i'm craving
  • runningagainstmyself
    Options
    I typically swear a lot, drink 3-4 cups of water, brush my teeth, and go to sleep.

If I'm in a good mood and I have the calories left over, I'll air pop a serving of popcorn.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    I budget calories for eating before sleep and eat whatever I feel like not exceeding calorie limit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I've recently started eating more in the day and less at night, doing the "Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a queen, and dinner like a pauper," because I was always too hungry at night to go to bed and would end up cheating. So, I raised my calories just a bit and follow what I call the 6-5-4 or 5-4-3 method: 600 (King) +500 (Queen) +400 (Pauper) = 1500 +/- 150 calories OR 500 + 400 +300 = 1200 +/- 150 calories, depending on my activity level. Works like a charm so far and I'm not cheating at night any more.

Edited for spelling
  • PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    If I've already done my workout, I'll just go to bed. (Like my folks always used to say, nothing good ever happens after midnight). Otherwise I do my workout. For me, exercising often nips "cravings" in the bud. I may be bonafide hungry afterward, but I'm more likely to reach for something healthy (yogurt, cheese stick, nuts, hard boiled egg) not the junk food I was craving.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I am chewing gum right now because my house smells like pumpkin cake from dinner. Sometimes I have a sugar free hot cocoa or a sugar free jello, but gum is the best.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Kn8ZOeM.jpg
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    OP...I prefer to deal with my hunger pains in the AM when I am focused on work and not thinking about food. I ate about 800 calories right before bed, all within my calorie allowance and will sleep like a baby.
  • ballerina_tea
    ballerina_tea Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Going to bed hungry's never hurt me.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I have calories spread throughout the 24 hours of the day because I sleep little but have calories planned already so it is no big deal. My days are also planned a day in advance so I know where I stand and know that I have calories to cover it.
  • ice1200s
    ice1200s Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Don't fight it, accommodate it. Budget your calories to allow some night snacking. Enter your snacks into your diary first, keeping moderation in mind, then spread the rest around breakfast, lunch and dinner.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    10-12 dark chocolate M&Ms usually does the the trick if I feel I must have something. I usually am pretty satisfied with my daily eating though. Perhaps you are being too restrictive with your diet?
  • addicted2cola
    addicted2cola Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I snack on a couple of red grapes, and drink some water!
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I usually eat something.

me too!

Seriously. I just make sure I keep the crappy food out of the house so when I start tearing the cabinets apart looking for junk, it's not there and I'm forced to eat something better for me.

AMEN!!!
  • rosemary98
    Options
    You say you really are not hungry, but your cravings are telling you something. Is it possible you aren't working in enough calories into your day? Or maybe your cravings are not about hunger but more emotional.

I would factor in the cravings for your day, but be aware of what you are indulging in. I had a bad habit of dipping into the peanut butter jar just before bed. It doesn't take long to rack up 500 calories worth of peanut butter. So I found a PB substitute with 1/4 the calories of PB and it satisfies my cravings.
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    First line of defense against snacking: I drink diet pop or club soda with lime. Or I have an herbal tea. Maybe I'm just thirsty; not hungry. Or maybe I need to taste something.

Second line of defense: brush my teeth.

Third choice: if I have the calories free - I have that snack. One light Babybel cheese is 50 calories. One square of Lindt chocolate is 60 calories. A sliced apple dusted with cinnamon is approximately 70 calories. 12 ketchup flavoured Quaker mini rice cakes are 90 calories. 1/4 cup of air-popped popcorn with 1/2 tbsp of butter is around 100 calories. 1 packet of PC Blue Menu whole wheat soda crackers + 1 oz of cheddar cheese are 240 calories. The trick is to have a variety of low-calorie snacks known & available before reaching for the brick of cheese.

If I don't have the calories free - I do some exercise to "earn" the snack. Half the time, I no longer want the snack once I've finished working for it. And if I don't have free calories and am in "eat all the things mode" and snack until I'm in the red? I make up the overage with an equivalent deficit in the next day or so.
  • AndyTwoSlow
    Options
    protein powder blended up in some soy milk.
    It looks like concrete but satisfies my sweet tooth, with protein to keep me full.
  • KarateMadMum
    Options
    Sugar free jelly is a god send for me... great to snack on when you have a sweet craving xx
  • Raevyns
    Raevyns Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Big cups of mint/green tea. Several.

If that doesn't help, I have a little nibble. Some cheese or a small slice of whatever dinner's leftover protein was.

The protein and fat helps keep the snack small yet satisfying.