Any body else wake up 2 lbs heavier??!

Options
2»

Replies

• eriny
    eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Scales are the root of all evil...lol great one

but i am one to jump on daily i either hate it which is most of the time or love it because it dropped even a little which makes me push harder or to always get back on track even on slip ups :flowerforyou:
  • lushy20
    lushy20 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    i also weighed myself early this week and it says i have gained 2lbs but a lot of people have told me that your weight can fluxuate
    throught -out the week. also if you are exercising 5 times a week dont forget that muscle weighs more than fat so it might not actually be that you are gaining weight because of what you eat it may be that you are gaining muscle too.

also as i read in this post sodium can take a while to pass through the body and this can affect weight change especially if you are weighing so often.

my advice is to weigh the same day every week usually before breakfast and around the same time you should hopefully get a more accurate reading of how much you have lost.

i know how discouraging looking at the scales can be when it says you have gained weight i felt the same way yesterday i thought whats the point in doing this if its not working.

but im staying strong pushed on stayed within my 1200 calorie limit and exercised for 60 mins keeping my fingers crossed for when i step on that scale on wednesday.

good luck with the weight loss you can do it stay strong and stay positive

:smile: :smile: :smile:
  • Dellie22
    Dellie22 Posts: 167
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat. 180lb is 180lb, no matter what.
    BUT
    fat takes up more space. Person A weighs 200lb. And does alot of strength training i.e weights, sit ups, push ups.
    Person B also weighs 200lb but does nothing.
    Fat takes up more space. Even though they both weigh the same, Person A is going to be slimmer than Person B because Person A has more muscle.
    So, you can weigh the same as someone else but they can be slimmer because they do more strength training. But at 200lb Person A needs to stick some cardio into their routine
  • Pete_Luxford
    Pete_Luxford Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It's been said before, stop weighing daily, it will drive you mad. The best way to weightloss is to watch what you eat and get regular exercise but to make it a part of daily life.

As a trainer myself, I find many clients spend all their time equating exercise with food. "I did 300 calories on the bike, so I can eat 300 calories more".

This will set you back further as you are not changing your mind set to weightloss and healthy living, but are actually creating a mindset that is looking to eat MORE!

Calories in vs Calories out is right but not an exact science. If you burnt 600 calories last thing at night, do not expect to see a huge weighloss in the next 12 hours or so, it's a gradual process over time.

Also, to lose 1lb you need to burn 3,500 calories, hence the 500 a day for a week. So even burning 600 calories extra in a day you might only expect to see a 0.15 lb loss, which many scales won't pick up.

Depending on water levels, loo visits, food in stomach, time of month, salt levels etc you can change weight throughout the day.

I used to weigh myself before and after long runs during marathon training to see how much water to replace. I have got up before at 4am and weighed 13st 9, run 20miles, got back weighed 12st 12lb !! at 7am. And by 3pm been 13st 8lb and 13st 9lb by 6pm.

Thats a overall change in weight of 22lb up and down in 14 hours.

Once a week max weigh yourself.
  • macteague
    Options
    Might be water weight perhaps, I had this problem when coming off of my high carb day and weighing myself the next morning. Was told that the increase in carbs increases water retention in muscle, dont know if thats the case for you though.
  • Pete_Luxford
    Pete_Luxford Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Does muscle weigh more than fat? This is that question that is mis-quoted time and time again. The true answer is more of a language issue than a maths one.

People often dispute the statement using "a lb of muscle weighs the same as a lb of fat", well obviously.

Then again 10cm of a giraffes neck, is the same length as 10cm of a Swans neck. But i hope most people agree that a Giraffe has a longer neck.

When people say muscle weighs more than fat they really mean, the same amount of muscle IN VOLUME, weighs more than the same amount of FAT IN VOLUME.

So, a litre of Muscle I believe weighs about 1.06kg and a litre of fat about 0.9kg so the statement is true.

Whether this accounts for lack of weightloss is questionable though. It is highly unlikely that through starting an exercise programme you are going to lose a litre of fat and put on a litre of muscle.

TO put significant muscle ON you need to be eating plenty of protein and enough calories to have a surplus not a deficit. And also to be putting significant work in the gym. This is why most bodybuilders and boxers etc periodise their diets. They will spend a number of weeks in the hypertrophy stage building muscle with hard gym work and high calorie diets. These diets are usually high in protein and relatively low in fat/carbs.

They will then change exercise and diet regimes to strip away the resulting fat layers to reveal the new bigger stronger muscles.
  • jennniferlea
    jennniferlea Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes, I woke up a pound heavier today. I do weigh myself everyday and it helps keep me in line. They say you are not supposed to, but I can't help it....lol. I have lost 36 - 38 lbs so far (can't tell which because it fluctuates). I only lost 4 lbs this month, but at least it's something. I just have to keep on keeping on. If you are going to make it a lifestyle change, you would work out and eat right anyways, so there you go. Try to get in that mindset and you won't "give up". Anyways, that is my trick to keep from getting discouraged.
  • brttnycynr
    Options
    I noticed the same thing too. I understand that weight is a terrible indicator of fat loss and that weighing yourself more than twice a month is pointless but it is still a guilty pleasure of mine. But I am more curious than anything why this happens. I mean I understand your body losses weight at night from water loss and even weight loss from the carbon you breath off. However I don't understand how the body can gain weight in sleep without manually adding something to it but it still does and the internet is absolutely no help.
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options

Thats a overall change in weight of 22lb up and down in 14 hours.

Once a week max weigh yourself.

Good advice. My weight fluctuates daily and the obsession over THAT NUMBER on the scale has discouraged and derailed many people.

Start taking measurements.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    All the time. Totally normal.
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I agree with previous posters - don't go by the scale; go by your look and feel!! Do you feel better? Are you noticing any visible changes at all? Is your clothing fitting better? Don't just go by the number on the scale...and remember that muscle weighs more than fat! :-) Continued success to you.
  • SmochiBanzai
    SmochiBanzai Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Nicoledc - I'm clueless as to why when you workout or exercise that you get "extra" calories BUT I do know from many hours of research that to successfully lose weight you are supposed to put out more calories than you take in. So if you eat 1200 calories a day, you need to put out over 1200 calories. I could be wrong, of course but that's what I've read and it makes sense. Your best bet is to TRY to stay under your allowed calories .. But by all means, if you're hungry then eat rather than be miserable and starve. Also, to help keep the calories down but feel satisfied you need to find foods where you can eat a reasonable amount, feel full, but not take in lots of calories. Foods high in protein, fiber, etc will do the trick.

From what what I thought, when MFP told me I need 1200 to lose a pound a week, it was because I burned 1600+ sedentary. So you eat the calories you burned UP to a net of 1200 so you are still at a 400+ calorie deficit for your body.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I never get too excited about a 2lb weight loss, I also never get down about a 2lb weight gain. Most of the time, in my experience you were or are a bathroom trip away from explaining the fluctuations... just sayin ;)