Breakfast is my #1 Objective

Options
Hi everybody, I never want to eat breakfast, and I know this is the most important meal for me to stay consistent with. My biggest challenge is keeping my digestive system free while I'm sleeping so I feel hungry first thing in the morning. Today is my first day using MFP and I am excited to utilizing it to help me reach my goals. I like the much needed online community support available, if you want to, send me a friend request and we'll help each other stay accountable :)

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Why is forcing yourself to eat breakfast so important to you?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is not essential for weight loss. For some people it may keep them from overeating later in the day and it may help some people with enhanced focus and concentration, but if you're not one of those people and you have no medical conditions that require you to eat breakfast then it's not necessary.

Eat it if you like. Don't eat it if you want.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    meh.

I have coffee for breakfast.
  • endlesoul
    endlesoul Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is not essential for weight loss. For some people it may keep them from overeating later in the day and it may help some people with enhanced focus and concentration, but if you're not one of those people and you have no medical conditions that require you to eat breakfast then it's not necessary.

Eat it if you like. Don't eat it if you want.

Exactly ^ this
  • 1111ace
    1111ace Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I want to eat breakfast to speed up my metabolism early, and also if my food is digesting while I'm active, my net calories will be less. Will also help me ensure I'm eating enough instead of just a meal or two. I tend to drink to much coffee as well...someday soon I won't rely on caffeine as much, that's a different challenge for another day. Thank you all for your nice feedback.
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I want to eat breakfast to speed up my metabolism early, and also if my food is digesting while I'm active, my net calories will be less. Will also help me ensure I'm eating enough instead of just a meal or two. I tend to drink to much coffee as well...someday soon I won't rely on caffeine as much, that's a different challenge for another day. Thank you all for your nice feedback.

AFAIK Breakfast doesn't really speed up metabolism. It doesn't really matter when you eat as long as you have a deficit.

That being said, the only reason I eat breakfast now is that I cook up a big batch at the start of the week and portion it off. That might work out for you too if the issue is actually making that breakfast in the mornings.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat breakfast (I eat it every day), then do. It's good for you, not just for weight loss.

Try to eat something with some protein. it will last a bit longer.
    I tend to like yogurt and peanut butter, or peanut butter on a nice hearty wheat toast.

Good luck!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I want to eat breakfast to speed up my metabolism early, and also if my food is digesting while I'm active, my net calories will be less.

Sorry but all of this is nonsense.

Just worry about your calorie balance over the whole day and eat in whatever meal pattern suits you. Don't over-complicate things, it really is calories in / calories out.
    Not meal timing, not number of meals, no magic tricks to speed up metabolism....
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    welcome! I get hangry without breakfast so I hear you there. unfortunately it does not speed up my metabolism nor anyone else's. luckily, it is great at keeping me from being a raging ***** until I am ready for lunch at about 12:30-1pm.
  • blondieellie
    blondieellie Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You could try a smoothie - may be easier as you can drink it.
  • 1111ace
    Options
    Braandi making food ahead of time definitely helps. Breakfast wise I could utilize that more. What do you usually cook?
  • 1111ace
    Options
    test
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options

Don't let them undermine your resolve. I have never eaten breakfast in the past but now swear by it.

It sets you up for the day in the direction you want to go in. it starts the metabolism going, and it changes your energy habits.

I'm an absolute convert to it at the age of 43 so you just go ahead and do it no matter what anyone says. :)
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Making food ahead of time definitely helps. Breakfast wise I could utilize that more. What do you usually cook?

I always have cornflakes and fruit. It seems to fill me up till lunch time and I have lots of fruit I bottled last year, cornflakes are cheap and cheerful, it all works.

But you might want more. you might want 2 eggs on toast with bacon. It depends how physical your job is, and also how mentally demanding. It really does make a difference to thought processing too.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Don't let them undermine your resolve. I have never eaten breakfast in the past but now swear by it.

It sets you up for the day in the direction you want to go in. it starts the metabolism going, and it changes your energy habits.

I'm an absolute convert to it at the age of 43 so you just go ahead and do it no matter what anyone says. :)
    +1 for doing what seems right for you. I believe in breakfast. I know (from experience) I eat smarter all day if I eat a good breakfast.
  • 1111ace
    Options

Sorry but all of this is nonsense.

Just worry about your calorie balance over the whole day and eat in whatever meal pattern suits you. Don't over-complicate things, it really is calories in / calories out.
    Not meal timing, not number of meals, no magic tricks to speed up metabolism....

Got to have time to get those calories in, and if I don't, later on my choices aren't as good either, since my energy levels would also be lacking.
  • 1111ace
    Options
    welcome! I get hangry without breakfast so I hear you there. unfortunately it does not speed up my metabolism nor anyone else's. luckily, it is great at keeping me from being a raging ***** until I am ready for lunch at about 12:30-1pm.

Thanks for the welcome. If your body is digesting food it is metabolizing it, hence metabolism, and in turn is burning calories, without anything to digest there is not as many calories being burned. If you are constantly metabolizing food, your body should stay that way and burn stored calories (fat cells) as well, since it is getting enough, and not in starvation mode.
  • 1111ace
    Options
    You could try a smoothie - may be easier as you can drink it.

Thanks for the feedback that's definitely a great option, its better than nothing. Though I would avoid drinking my calories if possible. Because raw foods are harder for your body to break down, and stay with you longer.
  • 1111ace
    Options
    Bridgie101 thanks for your nice feedback, I'm glad you feel the same way I do, and know how important breakfast is. I'll try your idea :smile:
  • stepkatq
    stepkatq Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I will often have breakfast if I know lunch is going to be late and I don't want to find myself in temptation land and make a bad decision. I don't have breakfast on my work days as my lunch is scheduled early (11:30am) and I then have an afternoon snack instead. I think it's all about whatever suits your day :)

I have found my easiest breakfast options when I do have it are
    * hard boiled eggs (cooked the night before so in the fridge ready to grab)
    * avocado half
    *protein shake