What are some things you guys eat at restaurants?

Options
Hey guys, I was wondering what were some things you guys eat at your favorite restaurants like Chilis or Applebees that are some healthy options that fulfill your appetite. I want to be able to have a forum that I could look back on if I go to one of the restaurants and have some good options to order without having the pressure to order something fattening when I go out with friends.
Feel free to post ANY restaurants you like!!

ADD me as a friend so we could give support!

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Applebees has the under 500 cals dishes, they have a steak with potatoes and veggies on that menu I would recommend, its probably a 4-6oz steak. Their salads are good too, just not very filling.
  • leah33
    leah33 Posts: 16
    Options
    I recently ate at Olive Garden with my family, and let me tell you...pasta dish calories add up QUICK! The whole wheat pasta with meat sauce (i ordered the meat sauce instead of marinara because i figured the protein would keep me full), one serving of salad (dressing on the side, add two tblsp. and take OUT the croutons), and one breadstick (because really, the only reason i go to Olive Garden is for the breadsticks) and that was 340 cals. The minestrone soup would have been a good option with the same serving of salad and one breadstick. Another consideration is the berry lemonade drink as a dessert...it has minimal calories as a snack (a lot for a drink), but it will maybe fill the void left by uneaten tiramisu and undrunk wine!

I would say always opt for whatever has no cheese, less pasta or white rice, and no sauce. OR...run four miles before you go out and then indulge! lol I can tell you that sushi is a great option if you like it. Even the philly roll with it's cream cheese and avocado is a good choice. Just no tempura!!
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Almost all Chain restaurants post their nutrition info on their websites. I recommend just making a list of all the chains in your area or that you go to, look up the menu items, and go from there. That is what my wife and I do, and it works wonders. Red Lobster is AMAZING!!! We overate and still were under our meal calories. Chick-Fil-A has a lot of good options...but that is more fast food than actual restaurant.
  • hkystar
    hkystar Posts: 1,290 Member
    Options
    Most of the time when I go out to eat, I get one of the salads with grilled chicken and ask for dressing on the side. I sometimes pick out or ask them not to include various adds (cheese, bacon, croutons, or other non-veggies).
  • pattybond1234
    pattybond1234 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    We have a Frisch's Big Boy here that I really like. They have a small soup & salad bar that always includes their vegetable soup, which is really tasty. I order a plain, grilled chicken breast (no sides, no bread) to go with it and the meal ends up being about 300 calories, especially when I limit myself to 1 bowl of soup, 1 plate of salad, and 1 plate of fruit. And, it's really filling, too.

And, Bob Evans has their Fit from the Farm menu which is good and lists the calories right on the menu. Their Potato Crusted Flounder is delicious and it comes with broccoli and salad.
  • Matt_
    Matt_ Posts: 2
    Options
    Grilled chicken dishes, either with veggies, or on a salad. Just make sure to get the dressing on the side.

Apple-bees has a "Under 550" menu section, and yeah the Asiago Steak is delicious. They have a good number of menu items under 550.
    Fridays sucks, they don't have nutrition info on their site, and only have 3 things marked as a low-calorie meal. I got the Dragon-fire Chicken from Fridays last week, it comes with rice and broccoli, and was ~450 cal.

If you really want a burger, get a box when you get your food, and put half the burger away asap, and trade the fries for a simple salad. (again dressing on the side)

Grilled shrimp meals could also a good choice, depending on the sauce used.
  • Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    If I know I'm going out, I try to check this site first:
    http://healthydiningfinder.com/
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Last time I was at applebee's, I got the chicken with peppers, onions & asiago cheese. It came with a side of broccoli and squash and potatoes. I ordered a side of corn instead of the broccoli 'cause I wasn't in the mood for it. It was pretty low calorie, very filling and DELICIOUS! :] Also, I've ordered their dish... uh, Grilled Shrimp & Island Rice, VERY good. It's only like 300 calories and it was soo yummy & filling. Beware though, it's very high in sodium.
  • monkeyfood
    Options
    Bump :)
    i want to save this!
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I usually have them make up a cesaer salad for me with dressing on the side. I also ask for either some grilled fish or shrimp on top.

What I find is that if the ingredients are somewhere on their menu, they can usually make up a special dish for you.
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I bought Eat This Not That and it did WONDERS to remind me it is very hard to eat out. Chicken and bread and everything else is marinated in butter so if you go for even the Grilled Chicken Salad - you may end up with more than you bargain for. All dressings need to be on the side and the yummier the salad sounds (bacon, croutons, cheese... etc) the worse it is. I usually try to find a turkey sub or sliced turkey option and hold the cheese and condiments and if they have a whole wheat bread option I jump on that. If I have to stop I go to Chick-fil-A or subway which kills me on sodium but I usually don't go over since I don't eat much at other meals.
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    www.DWLZ.com is a site that I use a ton before hitting any chain restaurant. It was made for people doing WW, so there is the points totals as well as the calories, fat and fibre. I usually allow myself 1 meal a week where I do not track all my calories (2 this week because of Canadian thanksgiving on monday!). If I am planning a night out, I make that my "bad" meal. Of course, I hit the gym first to burn off as many calories as possible so that I do not gain and drink a ton of water that day and the next.
  • Ashykins
    Ashykins Posts: 233
    Options
    If I know where I am going I always check the website first, but most menu's include the Under Calories section, at IHOP I get the Slim and Fit Two x Two x Two, which is 2 pancakes, 2 slices of Turkey Bacon, and 2 Substitute Eggs, and it's around 400 to 500 calories, NUMMY!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    If I know I'm going out, I try to check this site first:
    http://healthydiningfinder.com/

AWWW I got really excited about this website, turns out it's just for Americans lol I'm Canadian~ Wonder if there is a site for me like that...i'll check it out and report back for all the Canadians out there:happy:
  • misspenny762
    misspenny762 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Olive Garden: VENETIAN APRICOT CHICKEN. I can not stress this enough, it is AWESOME and super low cal. I also order the salad without dressing and ask to have the breadsticks prepared without the garlic butter spread (they're still delicious!)
  • kickash
    Options
    When I go to applebee's, my favorite dish is the grilled shimp with island rice, it comes with mango salsa on rice, with 3 shrimp skewers and a side of steamed veggies. My fav!
  • salford25
    salford25 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Well lately I been eating (Fresco soft or crunchy) beef tacos at Taco Bell - they are only 150 calories.. and the best part of all is there only 0.99cents!!! I heard the Fresco grilled steak or chicken soft taco is not bad at all either...

At Wendy's I get a plain grilled chicken wrap or the Grilled Chicken sandwich... (only honey mustard and lettuce/tomatoes)

McDonalds honey mustard grilled chicken snack wrap...

Just thought I throw some of the "on the go" restaurants on here too!!!
  • elsa11170
    elsa11170 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Most of the time when I go out to eat, I get one of the salads with grilled chicken and ask for dressing on the side. I sometimes pick out or ask them not to include various adds (cheese, bacon, croutons, or other non-veggies).

This is what I do! And portion control Sometimes one of those salads can feed four people! :S
  • misspenny762
    misspenny762 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Also, I'm going to Mimi's Cafe tonight and getting blackened mahi mahi with veggies and a cup of their corn chowder. Just staying away from the free bread (that's usually the hardest part for me!) Red Lobster has a lot of reasonable options as well.
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I recommend NOT eating at chain restaurants - most of the food comes in pre-prepared and there is minimal creation in the kitchen. The food is also incredibly high in sodium.

I suggest finding a good small independently own place with a rep for good food and that purchases from local producers- get to know them there and they will generally be happy to prepare a healthy special for you. Not only are you helping the little guy out who is either running a family owned business or its someone fulfilling a dream but you are also helping your local economy.