Brown rice ideas?

Options
2»

Replies

• Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    If we're talking about boxed brown rice, I've found you can use it in the same recipes as white rice. It might take a little longer to cook and have a more pronounced flavor, but those will be the only differences.

Not sure if this also applies to general, bagged brown rice.

At the moment, my most frequent recipe is to mix the rice with frozen veggies, cook it in broth and serve it with eggs or lean meat. Another favorite is to mix the rice with frozen veggies and diced sausage and cook in water with a pinch of salt. For the veggies, I like broccoli, cauliflower and peppers (and mixes that are based on them).

Yes, bachelor chow...
  • muah3iluvzu06
    muah3iluvzu06 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I like to chop up some cilantro and add some lime juice to my brown rice, so good!
  • ABlewett1130
    ABlewett1130 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I like to throw some broccoli, carrots, peppers, onions, and chicken in with some spices and just a little bit of reduced sodium soy sauce for a take on stir fry. It also tastes really good with some beans, onions, and corn. I never thought I would like brown rice, but I have replaced white rice with it and I don't miss it at all.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I love mine simple made with chicken broth. Sometimes I'll add in sauteed onions, garlic, peppers, and herbs.

21525558.png
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I love brown rice and eat it 3-4 times a week. My favorite way is to cook up the rice and then in a separate pan steam cook lots of mushrooms, diced bell peppers, onion (green or white/red), and carrots. Add that to the rice and add a couple splashes of soy sauce.
  • stephiehampshire
    Options
    I like adding some dark soy sauce, raw onion, peppers and other veg etc and then slice up the chicken

Another thing is I make up some sauce like thai curry or sweet and sour and add that to chicken and rice
  • exmsde
    exmsde Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm sad to say that I've developed a real taste for brown rice and actually enjoy it plain, something I can't say about white rice. But I rarely just eat it that way :-)

If you have a sweet tooth then drizzle a little teriyaki sauce on the brown rice. Actually works for both sweet and salty, although definitely not the best bet if you are really watching your sodium. Throw in steamed or stir-fried veggies and/or chicken for a complete meal.
  • fromnebraska
    fromnebraska Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I usually cook vegetables with the rice. I'll saute garlic and onions in a bit of olive oil. Then I'll add some diced vegetables (carrots, celery, mushrooms, and bell pepper usually) and then add the rice into the mix 5 minutes later or so. Then I cover the rice with 2 fingers (like when measuring alcohol) of water. Then I salt and season to taste. I'll taste the cooking liquid to see if the flavor is right, then I let the rice cook. If the rice isn't cooked all the way when all of the water has cooked off, I will add just a little bit more to the pan and let it cook until it is finished. Last night I did this, but I added some bacon in with the garlic and onion to give the rice a bacon flavor.

Hope that helps!