Losing 160+ lbs, for the second time in my life. (Long)

Options
13»

Replies

• qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    welcome to MFP bro. I think you'll enjoy it.
  • Jonslife
    Jonslife Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you qtgonewild. I should have added in my original post I suppose that please friend me! I was also wondering how you guys go about supporting each other. Do you do it via the news feed, mainly post on forums, or the groups?
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting your story. We are here for you. There are are so many great people on MFP. Read my profile if you want and send me a FR if you like.

I get a lot of support from my friends. I don't always got to the forums. It's your personal preference.
  • AZhappy1
    Options
    So glad you shared your story. I, too, have lost and gained. But I am determined THIS will be the last time I travel this road. OH I will be on this journey forever, being mindful of making good choices, but I never want to do a U-turn in my life again.

You mentioned playing ice hockey and working at a ice rink.... Well my dear, here's the story from a "hockeymom" who, while her son was active and on the ice 4 or 5 times a week, staying fit and healthy. Me, the hockeymom, was team manager, club president and basically doing all things hockey from the time our son was 6 until he aged out at almost 19..... Travel, travel and more travel, meant fast food, fast food and more UNHEALTHY food.... As he skated my butt sat on the cold bleachers.... no moving!!! He's 23 now, and just became a husband and father. As I'm approaching 50 in December I now find I have 114 AT LEAST to lose. I've lost 80 lbs TWICE over the past, say, 30 years. Tried every fad diet and plan around. And like you when I've lost the weight WOW ... I'm out there having fun, being active, hiking, riding, on top of the world. But then we let our guard down and eat a little of this, and that - soon without even realizing we're back to square one.... but we have the power to break the cycle. That's what I'm doing!!! You can too!

Please feel free to add me as a friend! This is such a great support system... I love it! I've only been on here about a month! My profile tells my story... (I write long too! lol)
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Thanks Shadus,

Accountability is without a doubt my biggest issue. I told Dr. Cheskin, that he had to verify my weight each week, I am too good at gaming the system, as he calls it, or lying to myself, as I call it.

I also make appointments a month in advance, which helps me not avoid going.

Finally, I gave him my dad's number and told him, if I don't show, or am gaining weight, call him. My parents have done so much for me, the last thing I want to do is let them down.

Those are short term (relatively) speaking though. What still worries me is 4-5 years down the road. That is what motivated me to make that post, and join this community.

I look forward to becoming part of it, and having it to lean on.

You'll have your good days and bad days, we all do... but your attitude here is one of the best I've seen on MFP. Keep the attitude and I expect you'll be one of the many long term success stories. The hardest and first step is admitting to yourself what is really up... it's damn hard.
  • farran86
    farran86 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Jon,
    Thank you so much for taking the time to write this. You have inspired me to do the same. You really inspired me to push myself out of my comfort zone and reach out into the community. I am so happy for you and I hope you crush your goal!
  • TygerTwoTails
    TygerTwoTails Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing your story. On a bit of a side note, you are an excellent writer and I think a blog would be a great way for you to stay focused on your goal and inspire others. It sounds like you have a good understanding of what it is going to take to make the change again and not fall back into old habits. I have been working at losing weight for 4 years now and I have gotten to the lowest weight I can remember being (I've been overweight my whole life). I still have work to do to lose more and then there is that whole maintaining thing, but I'll figure that out when I get there. I would like to be your friend if you are interested, check out my profile of you like and send me a FR. You can do this and this site has a lot of wonderful people with helpful information and experiences. You are apparently one of them as well!