Am I starving?

Options
2»

Replies

• stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    If you're not eating and you don't feel hungry, your body is in fat-conservation mode. What you want to do is get your body in fat usage mode!! EAT! Give your body enough fuel that the hormones will come into play that allow the fat storage to be used. Read up on Leptin, Ghrelin, and Insulin.
  • lydiaanne1977
    lydiaanne1977 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The first part of your day always seems on the light side, and you're eating a heavier dinner. Try balancing out your meals so that you're eating about the same cals each meal. I always aim for 500 a meal. Try eating a banana with your morning shake, or a granola bar. For lunch you could eat two sandwiches and still be under 500. Then just trim your dinner down a little (you'll find that you won't need as much food at dinner, if you balance out all your meals). Just a suggestion, that I find works for me :o)
  • abricklin
    abricklin Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Yea the elptical is amazing. It's depend on your intensity level. i know the calories burned amount on those machines my be off by 50-100 calories so i try to keep that in mind. I also run.

Looks like you got plenty of advice on calorie consumption so I had the need to comment on the elliptical calories burned. Unless you are using a good HRM, its hard to say what you are really burning. I usually burn only 60% of what the elliptical says (as compared to my HRM) so when the elliptical says 600, I am actually at 400 or so. Be careful there when you say that they may be off by 50-100 calories, unless you are only working out for 15 minutes!
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Raise your caloric intake asap. How long have you been eating like this? If you dont raise it soon you will go into starvation mode if you have been at this a while!!!
  • Bamacraft
    Bamacraft Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I would agree with using the Arnold bread. more cals but better for you. I see two other things that jump right out. 75% of your calories are in the evening (dinner and snacks?) is this accurate or are the snacks spread throughout the day? I would try and have most calories by 2-3pm and sensible dinner. the few days i looked at you seem way too low on water.

Basically eat more (better) calories. Go with healthier bread or sub bread with a whole wheat wrap. For you i assume ~2000 cals per day. if you burn 500+ with exercise, you still could eat close to that 2000 and still lose the 1lb/week. I think you have it set up where fitnesspal has deducted 500 cals per day already?. You are not eating back those exercise calories. Also recommend something like EAS drink after workout.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Yea the elptical is amazing. It's depend on your intensity level. i know the calories burned amount on those machines my be off by 50-100 calories so i try to keep that in mind. I also run.

Looks like you got plenty of advice on calorie consumption so I had the need to comment on the elliptical calories burned. Unless you are using a good HRM, its hard to say what you are really burning. I usually burn only 60% of what the elliptical says (as compared to my HRM) so when the elliptical says 600, I am actually at 400 or so. Be careful there when you say that they may be off by 50-100 calories, unless you are only working out for 15 minutes!

I agree. I have my own elliptical and it doesn't have the most sophisticated calorie counter, but my HRM is about 30% of what the machine says.
  • tbernard
    tbernard Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Men tend to have an easier time losing excess weight than do women and the reason is an important once. We tend to be more muscular and we tend to add muscle more easily. Knowing this should provide a message to both sexes. If you are a guy, you need to protect this advantage by feeding and growing that muscle. If you're a female, you aren't going to be able to build as much muscle, but you need to add on some. Doing this boosts metabolism and makes you look better.

I would avoid the idea of deciding to lift weights after weight has been lost. Although adding some muscle would add a little pure weight to you initially, the process of feeding and rebuilding those muscles would cause your body to burn more calories... particularly at night while you are sleeping as your body repairs itself. Doing the muscle work right now would also allow you to find yourself at a lower weight without as much hanging skin. Building strength later, after you've already emaciated yourself is sort of counter productive. If you try to just diet your way down, your body is just going to find itself looking for the best possible energy sources... which will be muscle.... You will find yourself with a body which burns fewer calories because their is no real muscle, trying to perform exercises which have become even harder because you have no strength or endurance.

Reducing calories too low is also considered to play a part in creating eating disorders. You're starving your brain.
  • lydiaanne1977
    Options
    I agree with this as well. I find that the calories burnt are about 100 less then what MFP suggests, so I manually key in what I actually burnt.
  • lydiaanne1977
    Options
    I agree with this as well. I find that the calories burnt are about 100 less then what MFP suggests, so I manually key in what I actually burnt.
  • lydiaanne1977
    Options
    [82414]
    [/quote]
  • Tuplatano
    Tuplatano Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I just want to thank you all for all the feedbacks and advice. You guys are awesome; I will take a little bit from each one of you and will start implementing into my lifestyle. I plan to slowly increase my calories intake. If you want feel free to check my food diaries one month. from now I will try to send a reminder so you all can see if there is anything else that I should change.

Regarding the Elliptical. Like I said I know the calories burned shown on the machines might be off and I understand that. I normally workout at the GYM but I also have an Elliptical at home. Normally the one I have at home tell me I burned about 700 Calories in 45 Minutes while the one at the GYM tell me I burned about 500 -550 for the same amount of time. I beleive the one at the GYM is more accurate. The best way to keep track is with a personal HRM device. I actually have one but I need to get some battery for it.

Today I had a Peach Yougurt for my afternoon snack, for dinner about 45 minutes ago I made some cheeseburger with 93/7 lean beef, reduced fat provolone, a splash of ketchup, Arnold 100 Wheat Thin breast, avocado and steams vegetable on the side. Its was muy bueno.

I love avocado and peanuts, I eat a least half an avocado per week. I used to eat lots of nuts before I started but I stopped because I was having I hard time with the portion I was eating (could't stop eating them once i opened the bag). I’m planning to bring the nuts back and re-pack then into snack size so I can have them as a snack and take control of my portion. I will increase my H2O to a least 16-20OZ per day.

Again thank you all and see you soon.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Good choices :)
  • fivefatcats
    Options
    IMO yes. I would be absolutely starving if I was eating as much as you and I weight 160lbs.

Have a read of this for an absolute no BS guide to FAT LOSS (not weight loss) and body recomposition.
    http://www.ptcfrankston.com/doc/newsletter/PTC_Newsletter_IssueNo37.html
    \

If you don't have time to read the above (although I HIGHLY recommend it as it is great advice) here is the summary.

Now for a final recap. The ones that are going to lose the most amount of body fat will be lifting heavy weights three times per week, increasing the weight used whenever possible, they will be doing two very intense cardio sessions where they will run with weights, sprint, swing kettlebells, lift KB’s that are over their bodyweight, do complexes that will leave them nauseous, at least twice a week, they will be eating six small meals a day, making sure they have protein in each meal. They will be eating four grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight every day, divided into six portions. They will obtain all their carbohydrates from fruit and vegetables, ensuring they don’t eat any fruit after mid afternoon. They will avoid all manmade carbs. They will drink no calories. They will get eight hours sleep every night.
    This is some really good advice.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    YOU NEED TO EAT MORE. Try getting a good protein shake to supplement your calories. I use BSN protein. Granola and almonds are healthy and very calorie dense.