Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Carb Question

Hey all!!

So i have a question about carbs and i wanted to see what you all thought. i try to eat between 150-200 carbs/day and take in about 1400 calories. I'm 5'2", lightly active, and trying to lose another 25lbs. Here's what I eat on a typical day:

Breakfast
3 cups Raw Spinach Juiced
2 Gala Apples Juiced
5 stalks Kale Juiced
1 Lemon Juiced
1/5 Pineapple Juiced
1" Ginger Juiced

Snack
1/3 of a Personal Watermelon, 0.33 melon

Lunch
Raw Salad - Lettuce, Carrots, Raw Corn, Sunflower Seeds with homemade oil/vinegar dressing

Snack
1 banana
1 c grapes

Dinner
Varies, but generally a meat and a veggie, sometimes with a carb

ex: tonight i'm having Angel Hair Pasta and Shrimp tossed in some olive oil and fresh parmasean. dinner last night was steak with green beans sauteed in olive oil

Now my question to you all is this: Would you worry about carbs? If I'm eating healthy and 90-95% unprocessed and/or raw, do you think 200 carbs is too much? I'm thinking of swapping my grapes or banana in the afternoon with butter beans but it would still be higher in carbs, just a different source.

Also, if i'm lightly active (walking 10-15 miles/week with light lifting 3-4x/week) do you think 1300-1400 calories is too much food?

Replies

• 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    I think 200 grams of carbs is good, You need these for energy!!

Sounds like you eat really healthy anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much

A lot of people pay more attention to the calories in and out.

Have you worked out your BMR & TDEE? Showing you how many your body needs, and what you need to lose weight?
  • abrocklehurst
    abrocklehurst Posts: 3 Member
    The main thing from that is there is hardly any protein what so ever! The best thing at burning fat is active muscle and without protein you are not going to build any additional muscle and may eat away at what you have!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,123 Member
    Protein and fat.........where is it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    that sample meal is 1400 calories...???
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Cutting carbs is a personal choice, some love it some hate it. You are looking pretty low on your carbs and fat though as neanderthin mentioned....
  • fabiomuralha
    fabiomuralha Posts: 114 Member
    Also, if i'm lightly active (walking 10-15 miles/week with light lifting 3-4x/week) do you think 1300-1400 calories is too much food?

First, for me you don't became lightly active just because of this. What you do all day long defines how much active you are. I spend almost all day sitting and I run 6 times a week, 50+ km and I'm still a sedentary.

Second, I guess your calories should be good to your body, but remember to eat at least half of the calories gained from workouts.

And third, I'm 6'0 and 188 lbs , I'm following a low carb diet and I'm consuming 60-70 g a day (especially pre and after the workout), and I'm fine.
  • Some carbs earlier in the day will help give you energy for the day. I would also suggest adding a bit more fiber. Juice is great, but it does take most of the fiber out of what you consume, and it takes so much less energy to consume because juicing is in effect 'semi processing' your food.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

this. your carbs are fine, but i think you need to look at balancing your macros better.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    In order of priority.

1. enough protein
    2. enough fat
    3. enough carbs

You are starting at the wrong end.

also 200g of carbs is 800cals and your sample day has basically nothing other than carbs so something is out there.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    In order of priority.

1. enough protein
    2. enough fat
    3. enough carbs

also 200g of carbs is 800cals and your sample day has basically nothing other than carbs so something is out there.

^ this.

there are only 3 types of people who worry about carbs...

1) those with a legitimately diagnosed medical condition that requires monitoring of carbs
    2) those who don't know any better
    3) those who are gullible and have bought into the anti-carb/anti-sugar/low-GI hysteria being stoked by a few charlatans who have discovered that writing books on this subject is a quick way to get rich and famous.
  • In order of priority.

1. enough protein
    2. enough fat
    3. enough carbs

What he said. Definitely. I'll pretend I knew this all along cause I have the ability to quote and agree.
    I was a genius all along! :bigsmile:
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    First, for me you don't became lightly active just because of this. What you do all day long defines how much active you are. I spend almost all day sitting and I run 6 times a week, 50+ km and I'm still a sedentary.

Huh? Exactly when does someone become not sedentary then? If 30 miles a week of running doesn't do it then I'm not sure what will.
  • Mareebzz
    Mareebzz Posts: 45 Member
    In order of priority.

1. enough protein
    2. enough fat
    3. enough carbs

^^^^This and I thought I should mention - you better make sure you are getting enough protien (it doesn't look like you are) or else you're going to start having some pretty bad hair loss. It's quite unnerving. I learned this the hard way.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member

This

Get this in check then worry about carbs
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    For me, I limit processed carbs. They tend to be trigger foods for me. Particularly sweet stuff like donuts and cake.
    I also limit things like potatoes.
    I also find that I feel better with less gluten though I do not specifically avoid gluten. But when I have a choice I choose gluten free.

We all find a balance that works for us. There is no on formula that works for everyone.
  • jellybeanhed313
    jellybeanhed313 Posts: 344 Member
    Lifting 3-4x a week...I don't think that is lightly active. I looks like you need a lot more protein. If you can blend instead of juice you will get more fiber out of those veggies/fruits.
  • engrdad
    engrdad Posts: 25 Member
    My doc has me on a low carb diet due to my cholesterol. The overall number is fine: 165 but my HDL is too low (33) and my LDL is too high (189). So low carbs for me and taking krill oil capsule (1000mg/day) and of course diet & excercise.

Agree with others about the lack of protein. Very important and helps curb appetite as well. Also I have found that many fruits and veggies are high in carbs (e.g. apples, bananas, grapes, corn). You might try substituting low carb fruits such as strawberries, cranberries, cantaloupe blueberries, etc. Best of luck on your journey...
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member

Huh? Exactly when does someone become not sedentary then? If 30 miles a week of running doesn't do it then I'm not sure what will.
    They work a job that is active or light active, like a teacher (who stands most of the day) or walking postman. Marking lightly active makes it easier to get the calories you need without worrying about logging the exercise separately, because it's kind of awkward to log "standing for eight hours because job" even though that burns many more calories than "sitting at computer for eight hours".

So, somebody could not exercise at all besides their job and be "lightly active" whereas our runner gets way more exercise but is "sedentary". He still logs that exercise, but because it's easy to keep track of, it's better for him to set himself as "sedentary" and just add the exercise separately.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member

They work a job that is active or light active, like a teacher (who stands most of the day) or walking postman. Marking lightly active makes it easier to get the calories you need without worrying about logging the exercise separately, because it's kind of awkward to log "standing for eight hours because job" even though that burns many more calories than "sitting at computer for eight hours".

So, somebody could not exercise at all besides their job and be "lightly active" whereas our runner gets way more exercise but is "sedentary". He still logs that exercise, but because it's easy to keep track of, it's better for him to set himself as "sedentary" and just add the exercise separately.

Ah OK, I guess I was thinking of it from the perspective of TDEE and having the exercise included rather than logging it separate.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,170 Member
    I eat like 300g of unprocessed carbs! I have tons of energy!