Staying off booze for a month

Replies

• I have been off it for 75 days. I don't miss it and have lost 7 pound because of it. I am at the point I don't want to drink again cause I don't want to gain weight.
  • gwenr
    gwenr Posts: 139 Member
    I did it for 6 months. It was a life changer. Not so much for weight loss, although it does make that much easier because alcohol is just completely empty calories. But, also, you realize that you don't need it. It's great for being social and on weekends for having fun. But, everyday is a little weird, to be honest. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, but once you stop, you realize how mindless the habit of it is. It's great when it's intentional and purposeful, but just mindlessly reaching for a drink straight away after work is a bit weird. Kind of like mowing through an entire bag of chips in front of the TV. It's senseless.

Hey, thanks for this. Something I needed to hear.
  • I have been off it for 75 days. I don't miss it and have lost 7 pound because of it. I am at the point I don't want to drink again cause I don't want to gain weight.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    It will only help with weight loss if it results in a calorie deficit. However, binge drinking tends to lead to late night binge eating.

Also, you will just feel a lot better.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    I've lost weight and haven't given up booze. I do avoid beer and make sure I log calories, but no, it hasn't made a difference in my weight loss. Not that I had a ton to lose, but still. I'm also way leaner than I have ever been in my life. My body fat is right around 19%, and I'm maintaining a weight I have been since my Freshman year in high school.

Now, I could probably stand to ease up on the weekend drinking, but that's more for the health of my liver than weight woes. Giving up wheat made a huge difference in my weight. Wine/vodka not so much.
  • St_Paul
    St_Paul Posts: 32 Member
    I don't drink that much but I've reduced quite a bit the last month and the benefits to weight loss are enormous. ALSO, I've quit completely for 3 weeks and even if you just drink a little, you'll notice a ton of difference. You'll wake up feeling fantastic and get more done at night, maybe even be motivated to pick up a new hobby. Go for it. You have nothing to lose.
  • St_Paul
    I did it for 6 months. It was a life changer. Not so much for weight loss, although it does make that much easier because alcohol is just completely empty calories. But, also, you realize that you don't need it. It's great for being social and on weekends for having fun. But, everyday is a little weird, to be honest. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, but once you stop, you realize how mindless the habit of it is. It's great when it's intentional and purposeful, but just mindlessly reaching for a drink straight away after work is a bit weird. Kind of like mowing through an entire bag of chips in front of the TV. It's senseless.

+1
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 603 Member
    I'm not following any of this.... If I have a beer or 2 or a glass of wine or two in the evening and it fits into my calories for the day, how is that inhibiting my weight loss? I'm not trying to be a wise *kitten*, I'm genuinely interested. Thanks
  • l911jnt
    l911jnt Posts: 164 Member
    I can tell u that beer , a six pack a day put 50 lbs on me in about 9 months. That was four yrs ago and I quit drinking about two yrs ago and still trying to get the weight off. I was in deep depression and finally ame out of it.
  • gwenr
    gwenr Posts: 139 Member
    I'm not following any of this.... If I have a beer or 2 or a glass of wine or two in the evening and it fits into my calories for the day, how is that inhibiting my weight loss? I'm not trying to be a wise *kitten*, I'm genuinely interested. Thanks

I can't speak for others but for me personally once I have two glasses of wine I crave (and eat) way over my calories for the day. It's not the alcohol calories it's all the ones that the alcohol drives me to eat.
  • St_Paul

To give a completely straight, non wise *kitten* reply, look at the days calories w/o the beer or wine added in.
    Everyone has to do things the way that works best for them. I love scotch ale ... but loving it everynight doesn't work for me. I've essentially lost the weight I have not by changing my diet much or increasing exercise, but by dropping just the beers.
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    I have lost 120 pounds in the last year and I drink 1 glass of wine EVERY Friday because, well I just need to unwind after a long crazy work week.... I sometimes also have a cocktail on Saturday as well....

I have chips too...

and then I get my *kitten* on the treadmill or lift weights or do something to move and chalk it up as EVEN...

I do drink a effton of water regularly and try to do extra water when Ive had alcohol, as alcohol can lead to water retention/dehydration...
  • amwood89
    amwood89 Posts: 165 Member
    yeah, I feel like a new person when I do it. Not often I have though, I usually give into temptation & end up drinking!

I'm at a gig on the 1st Oct which I've waited my whole life for, so as of the 2nd Oct I'll be on a break for a month!!
  • kimtab
    kimtab Posts: 64 Member
    My hubby and I love craft brewed beers and would have 1 or 2 every evening. I stopped when I made the commitment to lose weight since that's quite a few calories right there! But I found that I feel better and sleep better too. Now I have one beer when we go out for sushi every Friday. It tastes really good and one is all I need because 2 is waaaay to much for me now.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    I can't speak for others but for me personally once I have two glasses of wine I crave (and eat) way over my calories for the day. It's not the alcohol calories it's all the ones that the alcohol drives me to eat.

I've heard this before. I'm actually the opposite. A glass of wine in the evening keeps me from craving baked goods.
  • LauraElectric
    LauraElectric Posts: 51 Member
    I've cut down on alcohol for a while just because of calories, I also find it hard to have just one and also chips go so well with beer....

But I am cutting it out completely for a month for the Macmillan Cancer Research "Go Sober for October" campaign. I doubt it will impact my weight loss too much as I was usually within my target calories even with the booze, but I am hoping it will improve my general health and well being.

If anyone wants to participate (I think it's open internationally) in the campaign or sponsor me...
    https://www.gosober.org.uk/profile/lauramccarthy
  • I'm almost ready to try this. I wouldn't call what I do boozing by any means. I do like really hoppy IPA craft beers though and will have a six pack a week (assuming they fit into my calories), but I've got a stubborn ~10 lbs and no abs, and want to see if it really does make a difference.
  • SuperAmie
    SuperAmie Posts: 307 Member
    Deffnitly helps!! I was a heavy beer drinker... I switched to wine and with that I drank WAYYYY less. (i know its not giving it up compeltely) but I still saw major changes in my body and I felt incredible!!!!

Sorry Im frozen I cant spell/type today.<3 Goodluck!!
  • ExcelWithMel
    ExcelWithMel Posts: 192 Member
    YES!

After a month of too many beers here and a few too many glasses of wine there, I did it and lost 8 lbs. in a month. You have nothing to lose and you will be a cheap date when you do decide to drink again.
This discussion has been closed.