Polar FT4

Options
Good morning! I have been using a Jawbone UP to calculate steps taken per day, calories burned, etc. I have been in somewhat of a plateau for the past few weeks, and my suspicion is that I am eating too much based on eating back exercise calories-- when I log them into mfp from my jawbone up it often seems like too much (even though on the Jawbone when logging exercise I always select a lower level of intensity than I really feel I performed just so it won't overestimate too much). For the past several days I have been keying in the exercise and minutes on mfp and taking the lower of the two numbers to input calories burned, then deleting the UP's computation of those calories burned.

I am doing zumba twice a week, turbofire 6 days a week (I am on my second week) and three days a week I am lifting weights.

Anyway, I have a Polar FT4 arriving in the next couple of days and I was wondering if anyone has any tips on using it for calories burned, best way to use it, etc?

Replies

• kendragetshealthy
    Options
    bump :)
  • FieryVixsin
    FieryVixsin Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I would also be interested in any tips. I have FT4 that has been sitting in the package for a while because tech challenged.
  • Caliban036
    Options
    Just use it how it says to. I've had one for over a year and it's great.
  • Grizzles66
    Options
    Getting a HRM was one of the best decisions I made. I also have the Polar FT4 and love it. There really isn't any tip or trick to using it - just press start and stop and it'll do all the work for you! It helps you challenge yourself and also let's you know what workouts produce more of a calorie burn than others. It's also great to wear during weight lifting as you'd be surprised how much your heart rate actually increases from weights...HRMs aren't just for cardio! You're going to love it :-)
  • Daisey4522
    Daisey4522 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I have been using a Jawbone UP to calculate steps taken per day, calories burned, etc. I have been in somewhat of a plateau for the past few weeks, and my suspicion is that I am eating too much based on eating back exercise calories-- when I log them into mfp from my jawbone up it often seems like too much (even though on the Jawbone when logging exercise I always select a lower level of intensity than I really feel I performed just so it won't overestimate too much). For the past several days I have been keying in the exercise and minutes on mfp and taking the lower of the two numbers to input calories burned, then deleting the UP's computation of those calories burned.

I am doing zumba twice a week, turbofire 6 days a week (I am on my second week) and three days a week I am lifting weights.

Anyway, I have a Polar FT4 arriving in the next couple of days and I was wondering if anyone has any tips on using it for calories burned, best way to use it, etc?

I have a Polar FT4. I do Zumba 4-5 times a week and I am pretty familiar with the amount of calories I would expect to be burned. How many calories does your Jawbone say you burn when you do zumba (how long is the zumba session)? Also your height and weight would help and if you have any information of what your heart rate is usually during Zumba. It could give an idea if the Jawbone is overestimating or not.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options

I could be wrong but if the jawbone link to MFP is anything like how it works for a BodyMediaFit, you shouldn't be logging your exercise calories in here too and eating them back, the calories are already included in your jawbone adjustment.
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Yep just set it up, strap it on and off you go, it did give me a reduced calorie count for everything other than running (I use my garmin for that)
  • kendragetshealthy
    Options

I could be wrong but if the jawbone link to MFP is anything like how it works for a BodyMediaFit, you shouldn't be logging your exercise calories in here too and eating them back, the calories are already included in your jawbone adjustment.

Yes I see what you're saying- when I see how many calories it tells me I get extra from the Jawbone UP adjustment, I compare that number to the number that MFP gives for that activity and take the lower number. I delete the higher one. Does that make sense?

Zumba is always a little over an hour and it says I burned 834 calories on Monday- that is a good example. When I put it into mfp it says about the same thing.

I can't wait to get a more accurate number from my polar! :)
  • Daisey4522
    Options
    For me I do Zumba for 50-60 minutes without stopping with mostly high intensity or at least medium intensity songs and my HRM says I burn about 400 calories. If I use MFP it says a much higher number, so I always just follow my Polar HRM. I monitor my heart rate as well, and it's always in the target zone 124-165 during my work out. When I first started doing zumba I burned closer to 500 calories in the same time, but I think as I became more fit my body does not have to work quite as hard.
  • kendragetshealthy
    Options
    Wow I am surprised it is that low but I guess I'll see once I get mine. The friends I have that do zumba all burn around 800 for an hour. I DO weigh a lot too haha.... maybe that is part of it. I'll report back when I get it and use it :)
  • Daisey4522
    Options
    That would be great! You know, I even do some jumping jacks between dances to keep my heart rate up during zumba!
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    My first HRM was the FT4, and I figured it out tech-wise pretty fast. I think it's a great starting investment.