Hungry and tired every day - food change suggestions?

Options
OK friends, need your help please. I am so hungry all the time. My goal is 1600 cals per day, and I've started Convict Conditioning, working on getting to the progression on level 1. The milk I log every morning is for what I use in my tea and coffee throughout the day. Although I log my smoothie as breakfast, I usually have it as a mid-afternoon snack. I have found it's easy for me to only eat between 12-8. Any suggestions are appreciated!!

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Open up your diary so people can see :)
  • shezzzzz
    shezzzzz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Oops, I had it on friends only. It's open now, thanks for pointing that out.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Has the hunger/tiredness just started since you began your new exercise program? Were you exercising prior to that?

I don't see exercise entered into your diary - are you eating back your exercise calories?
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I would cut back on carbs and up your fat and protein. You might also need to up the calories a bit to accommodate your lifting program.

I noticed you don't log your water--do you stay hydrated throughout the day?
  • Princess_Lee2013
    Princess_Lee2013 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi! I second the comments about exercise - is this new since you started your program? I completely understand about eating between 12-8 I find that if I start eating earlier than that I am hungry throughout the day; however, I know it is also generally beneficial to get some protein into your body within the first little while of waking up - perhaps this is something you could try - like a low carb/cal protein drink or a couple of egg whites just to get everything running in the morning?

The other thing I noticed, quickly glancing back between the last week or so of your diary is that while you are not really eating a lot of "bad" foods - you're not eating a ton of "superfoods" either. Speaking from my own experience - there are periods of time where I stay within my calorie/protein/carb etc goal eating foods that keep me there; and then there are times where I commit to eating very cleanly and the same things over and over including staples like egg whites, lean cuts of red meat and spinach whenever I can incorporate it. Even though the calorie/protein/carb levels are the same I have a noticable amount more energy during these times. Maybe try swapping some veggies like carrots/cabbage with kale/spinach/chard/arugula....maybe add some lean cuts of red meat like steak a couple times a week; and maybe a salmon every other week as well. Just some thoughts!

One other quick thing I noticed - my energy is significantly higher and I feel less of that tired/sluggish/gotta get through the day feeling when I am eating in the 60-120 range of carbs.

Hope this helps - no one wants to feel that way esp when you are making the effort to eat healthy and exercise! Good luck!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I think you should take a look at carbs too, I am not much of a low carb person but your diary shows big carbs at each meal. Most people get the blood sugar rush and crash when they eat like this. Try to up protein some and get carbs more from fruit and veggies that will give you the carbs slower and less from pasta.
  • shezzzzz
    shezzzzz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hydration - I don't log it, but I have 3 24oz water bottles I fill each morning and drink throughout the day, plus 2-3 cups of coffee and multiple cups of tea.

Upping Calories - Yes, the hunger has got worse since starting the CC program. I have been tracking a loss of just under a pound a week for the last few weeks (I took a break during the summer, maintained the 19 lb loss I'd had previously), I'm concerned about eating more calories slowing / stalling fat loss (was on a plateau before my "break"). I was thinking if I start losing much more than 1 lb a week I'd up calories.

I do struggle with my carb / protein balance. I tried for a while to keep stay away from starchy carbs, and for the 3 weeks I did that, I didn't feel good, I was getting hungry less than an hour after I ate a steak!! Although thanks for pointing out that the carbs have been creeping up again. I will try smaller portions of starches with more veg & protein.

I will try to incorporate more "superfoods" and see if that helps.

Thanks everyone !! Sometimes it just takes a fresh set of eyes to see where improvements can be made, or where I am getting complacent!!