Microwave Popcorn???

Options
I LOVE microwave popcorn. I know it isn't good for me, but we all have our vices. What is the deal with the significant difference in calories between popped and un-popped? Are the popped calorie values accurate? Are there some brands that are superior to others? For example, are there any that use real butter and non-gmo corn? Help!

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Best way is to buy the unpopped kernels, measure them out and pop them in the microwave in a brown paper lunch bag. No oil, no artificial stuff, just the popcorn, fold the bag down a couple of times and pop like you would the store bought stuff. Then you can top it with whatever you like - regular butter, or coconut oil, different seasonings or whatever. Works great, and you control what goes in it. Much cheaper too! I use the calorie count from the bag of kernels for the unpopped corn.
  • kidtachyon
    kidtachyon Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I love microwave popcorn too, depending on the brand.

The only difference I see is that the unpopped popcorn has oil in it that stays in the bag and that's why the calorie difference is so huge. It seems weird to me that the calories of popped, microwave popcorn is so low. I don't really trust the calorie counts but I eat it anyway.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Best way is to buy the unpopped kernels, measure them out and pop them in the microwave in a brown paper lunch bag. No oil, no artificial stuff, just the popcorn, fold the bag down a couple of times and pop like you would the store bought stuff. Then you can top it with whatever you like - regular butter, or coconut oil, different seasonings or whatever. Works great, and you control what goes in it. Much cheaper too! I use the calorie count from the bag of kernels for the unpopped corn.

I tried the brown paper lunch bag ............... 3/4 of the seeds were unpopped. What a waste ... not much cheaper when you throw so many seeds out (IMO).

Presto PowerPop microwave popper ..... that works really well. The bowl sits up higher than the brown paper bag and uses one of those grey liners you see with microwave pizzas. You use the grey things over & over (for awhile anyway).

The difference in the calories (seeds vs. popped) .........is volume. Because some of the seeds don't pop ..... the best measure is cups of popped corn + any oil you added.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I tried the brown paper lunch bag ............... 3/4 of the seeds were unpopped. What a waste ... not much cheaper when you throw so many seeds out (IMO).
    Could be your microwave. Works great for me - I use my micro's popcorn setting, and stay close by, listening for the popping to slow down, just like I would for the store bought stuff. Never had a problem.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Could be your microwave. Works great for me - I use my micro's popcorn setting, and stay close by, listening for the popping to slow down, just like I would for the store bought stuff. Never had a problem.

Well, I tried it in the microwave at work ... cheap, small watts unit.... bad result. Then I tried my full sized microwave at home .... still terrible.

I've tried white popcorn (my favorite) .... then for kicks I tried yellow (this was not terribly fresh) ... no go. I'll stick with my Presto popper.
  • bceltic
    bceltic Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I buy Shoprite's Organic popcorn. Natural, no butter. Taste great, plus is has 5 grams of fiber and 3 protein per cup popped. 30 calories per cup. One bag makes 5 cups popped, I usually eat 2.5 cups. Really helps me hit my fiber goals at the end of the day :)
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I use the brown paper bag method too, and have never had an issue with unpopped kernels. I usually have less than a dozen at the bottom of the bag (I do .25c per bag)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Whoever designed the nutrition label on microwave popcorn is insane. I eat the 100 calorie bags just to save myself from all that math - and calories. Those regular bags can be 300-600 calories or more, but everyone likes to pretend they are so low calorie because of the confusing label!
  • EdwardNortonFan43
    EdwardNortonFan43 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have a popcorn popper, it works great.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Don't forget microwave popcorn is loaded with sodium! Air pop is the way to go.
  • cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Check label to make sure the bag is chemical free. Most, not all microwave popcorn have a chemical in it if you research (google) that has proven not good for your health. Wal Mart carries a brand that is chemical free. I myself have chosen air popped to eliminate other stuff, and also better portion control for me, or I eat a whole bag no problem.
  • bsassano
    bsassano Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use whatever lowcal (no butter) option I can find at the store for cheap and then add (after cooking) pepper, garlic powder and old bay to the bag and shake it around. Adds no calories, but tons of flavor. Also, the garlic acts as an appetite supressant, so that is an added bonus.
  • Runningcircuits
    Options
    Don't forget microwave popcorn is loaded with sodium! Air pop is the way to go.

This.
  • chichitao
    chichitao Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The nutrition labels on popcorn can be very tricky to read.

You need to take the calorie count of 1 cup of popped. Multiply that by the number of cups per 2T unpopped and then multiply that by the number of servings per bag.

So for example:
    35cal per cup popped x 4.5 cups per serving x 2.5 servings per bag = 393.75 total calories per bag

That's usually why I go with the 100cal bags. I've never heard of the brown bag method...will definitely have to try that.
  • daisyseeker80
    daisyseeker80 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone! Great info! :-)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Get a $20 air popper. You'll save yourself from consuming endocrine disrupting chemicals.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options

Thanks for this! I'm definitely going to try it.

I usually buy the kernels, measure them and pop them in a pan with a little canola oil. Then I sprinkle either ranch or nacho cheese pop corn seasoning on top.

This is my "go to" late night snack.