People who request "motivated" friend.

Replies

• I feel bad when people say they are "friending" me for motivation. I joke most of the time and am not very supportive in regards to commenting on food diaries and exercise posts....
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    i actually do not friend anyone, and i prefer to not have friends at all, even in real life,,, however, things never go my way :) that being said, i dont have time, personally, to root on or critique other peoples diaries and what not, however, if one of my friends posts a concern or question, i will always do my best to answer it.
  • You are so right! This is a journey and being that we all want to lose weight in some form or the other, we know what one another is going through.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    I feel bad when people say they are "friending" me for motivation. I joke most of the time and am not very supportive in regards to commenting on food diaries and exercise posts....

I find the extremely risqué photography that you share with us in your news feeds incredibly motivational. And your policy of accepting all friend requests . . . too great.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    I'm kind of curious what it is people consider "motivational."

What do you expect your friends to do, exactly?
  • I feel bad when people say they are "friending" me for motivation. I joke most of the time and am not very supportive in regards to commenting on food diaries and exercise posts....

I find the extremely risqué photography that you share with us in your news feeds incredibly motivational. And your policy of accepting all friend requests . . . too great.

shhhh, you weren't supposed to tell anyone else!
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    I equate the plea for 'motivated friends' to my 15 year old daughter and her 'quest' for friends on Facebook........

She has almost 2000 'Friends'.........

But she doesn't even really KNOW half of these people..........!

It's a 'status' thing - the more 'friends' you have, the 'cooler' you are...........

I prefer to do my 'thing' - watch what i eat, exercise.........

This is no 'friend-quest' for me.....

Sigh - I'm SO un-cool.............!
  • Motivation is a two way street.... I have had so many friend requests saying how they've seen me support/encourage their friends and want me to do the same for them and then give nothing in return. I love to support/encourage people who do the same for me but if you're not going to give back then don't add me. I'm not your effing cheerleader!

I actually had one friend post a comment saying that she was going to delete all the 'friends' who were not supporting her... 'so if you want to keep me as a friend, tell me why I should keep you.' I supported her day in and day out for 3 months and because I didn't beg her to keep me, she deleted me, yet kept people who have not logged in for over 3 months. This 'social media has made me a rock star and you are all my minions' attitude irks me to no end.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    I equate the plea for 'motivated friends' to my 15 year old daughter and her 'quest' for friends on Facebook........

She has almost 2000 'Friends'.........

But she doesn't even really KNOW half of these people..........!

It's a 'status' thing - the more 'friends' you have, the 'cooler' you are...........

I prefer to do my 'thing' - watch what i eat, exercise.........

This is no 'friend-quest' for me.....

Sigh - I'm SO un-cool.............!

oh yes, i have 1 of those... a 15 year old who would friend request a light pole if it could accept. i finally closed down her instagram and facebook, could handle the trash posted by all those little brats!
  • Nacima26
    Nacima26 Posts: 28 Member
    I'm rather new the the message boards here but I've seen several threads asking people to friend them because they need inspirational or motivated friends or they need people to help them stay on track. I have added several people because I feel like I am a very motivated person or we have soem of the same interests and I was hoping that if I would be motivating these "new" friends, they'd do the same in return. That is not the case.

I guess what I'm getting at is if you are asking for motivation and friends to cheer you on and tell you how great and awesome you are, expect your friends would like the same in return. Just saying....

lol i completely agree wit u
  • amberkeever1
    amberkeever1 Posts: 34 Member
    When I say I'm looking for motivated friends I mean that I am looking for people who actually exercise and log their food in their diaries. I don't really need to hear "good job" and what not on my posts. It's nice but I know when I lose I've done well, you know? Seeing others diaries helps motivate me to exercise when I'm feeling lazy and give me food inspirations.
  • marita_mimi
    marita_mimi Posts: 23 Member
    i add friends to follow peoples workout and nutrition, and, here and there i will comment their activity, motivate, but seriously...other peoples work (logging the food and exercise), weightloss and pics are more important to me.
    u wont find me talking to much..that doesnt mean that I dont care.
    its stupid to say every day 'good job', wtg, awesome etc all that lame stuff. loses its value.
    end of story
  • marita_mimi
    marita_mimi Posts: 23 Member
    When I say I'm looking for motivated friends I mean that I am looking for people who actually exercise and log their food in their diaries. I don't really need to hear "good job" and what not on my posts. It's nice but I know when I lose I've done well, you know? Seeing others diaries helps motivate me to exercise when I'm feeling lazy and give me food inspirations.

exactly
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    I found that once I stopped relying on other people to help me, and just made myself do it on my own, it worked a lot better.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    All I require is intelligence and a sense of humor. I motivate myself.
  • Lili0817
    Lili0817 Posts: 109 Member
    So true! LOL
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    It's annoying. You will eventually have a FL that you're content with, it takes a bit of time
  • i actually do not friend anyone, and i prefer to not have friends at all, even in real life,,, however, things never go my way :) that being said, i dont have time, personally, to root on or critique other peoples diaries and what not, however, if one of my friends posts a concern or question, i will always do my best to answer it.

Right on. This is me. I access MFP mainly via my phone, and even then, am usually entering food or my weight and that's about it. I don't keep it defaulted to my news feed page, so I can get what I need and go and I can't access the forums on my phone.

I do have a few friends added, and will do my best to comment on posts with merit (NOT the irrelevant "so and so was under calorie goal - YAY!" feeds...I have seen too many people on here with EDs and feel personally that cheering them on for not eating enough is just wrong. Plus, I don't review food diaries often either to know what's being eaten unless someone posts something requesting a review of it on my feed...)

Motivation for me comes from within and that's okay too. Whatever helps you get through this journey the best is what you should seek out. We're all on the same road together :drinker:
  • 271lisa
    271lisa Posts: 49 Member
    If you haven't already posted this on your profile status...you may want to consider it so the"friends" who really need to hear the message actually hear it. :)
  • All I require is intelligence and a sense of humor. I motivate myself.

This. I just want to word vomit on my wall and laugh. I don't need words of encouragement for my food and work outs. I do all the work and eat right myself.