Question about Carbs :)

Options
sway1080
sway1080 Posts: 45 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hey all! I am pretty new to MFP - been doing this for 20-25 days and just had a question about MFP Carbs.

My diet plan MFP has made for me says before I put in my work out I can have 165grams of carbs in a day. Just for info purposes here is the rest of my numbers (before workout)

1200 Cals/day
165 carbs
40 Fat
45 Protein
2500 Sodium
24 Sugar

If I work out my cals usually goes up to about 1500 but noticed my carbs will go up to around 206. I have a hard time finding out if I really should be consuming that many carbs per day but so far I trust MFP since i've lost 7lbs so far. Most things I read about carbs is to stay between 50-100grams for weight loss and 100-150 to maintain weight...maybe i'm reading the wrong articles lol. So far I have been eating about 100-150 in a day and i've been doing well staying within my other numbers except I do tend to go over the protein a little but it's always lean protein like chicken breasts no skin.

Any little bits of info would help :) Thanks and nice to meet everyone!! :D:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I am pretty new to MFP - been doing this for 20-25 days and just had a question about MFP Carbs.

My diet plan MFP has made for me says before I put in my work out I can have 165grams of carbs in a day. Just for info purposes here is the rest of my numbers (before workout)

1200 Cals/day
    165 carbs
    40 Fat
    45 Protein
    2500 Sodium
    24 Sugar

If I work out my cals usually goes up to about 1500 but noticed my carbs will go up to around 206. I have a hard time finding out if I really should be consuming that many carbs per day but so far I trust MFP since i've lost 7lbs so far. Most things I read about carbs is to stay between 50-100grams for weight loss and 100-150 to maintain weight...maybe i'm reading the wrong articles lol. So far I have been eating about 100-150 in a day and i've been doing well staying within my other numbers except I do tend to go over the protein a little but it's always lean protein like chicken breasts no skin.

Any little bits of info would help :) Thanks and nice to meet everyone!! :D:flowerforyou:

Assuming no medical reasons you can eat as many or as few carbs as you'd like. It'd prob be a good idea to up your protein a tad though
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options

1200 Cals/day
    165 carbs
    40 Fat
    45 Protein
    2500 Sodium
    24 Sugar

Assuming no medical reasons you can eat as many or as few carbs as you'd like. It'd prob be a good idea to up your protein a tad though

^ what he said
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    carbs are not the devil they've been made out to be. the reason your carbs go up is because you burn a ton of carbs exercising...it's your jet fuel for your workouts. Sedentary individuals and individuals with certain medical conditions can benefit from a reduction of carbs (particularly if they eat a SAD) but otherwise manage your macros to whatever level gives you optimal performance.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    So far I have been eating about 100-150 in a day and i've been doing well staying within my other numbers except I do tend to go over the protein a little but it's always lean protein like chicken breasts no skin.

I'd say continue with what you've been doing since it's working. If it ain't broke, why try to fix it?
  • aetzkorn14
    aetzkorn14 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I agree with increasing the protein. I think MPF kinda over calculates carbs so I went in and adjusted mine. I try to eat 1/2 of what I weight in lbs in grams of protein. So since I am 194 I usually shoot for 100g of protein and less than 50g of fat. The rest of my calories are carbs.
  • sway1080
    sway1080 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Haha Thanks all, I agree with all of you. I do tend to work out 5-6 times a week and I definitely do not want carbs to be the enemy because who doesn't love em? lol! I'll prob just stick to what i've been doing :) Just wanted to be sure.

About the protein though, I kinda thought it was weird that i'd have 1 chicken breast and be almost at my limit for daily protein without anything else lol. Most things I've read does say I should be eating a bit more protein. Which also makes me happy :):smile:
  • Fuzzystump
    Fuzzystump Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The type and timing of your carb sources are very important. Carbs that spike your insulin are best early in the day or pre/post weight training. Alot of times I like to go low-zero carb after 4pm and it seems to help my body lose fat. If I want carbs at night it's primarily on weight training days and then I choose something like sweet potatoe or brown rice.

EDIT: Yes protein is very important. I shoot for 1g/lb of bodyweight everyday. For someone not weight training I would say at least 0.5gr/lb of body weight. You can over eat protein but it's much more difficult for your body to convert that and store the excess.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    The type and timing of your carb sources are very important. Carbs that spike your insulin are best early in the day or pre/post weight training. Alot of times I like to go low-zero carb after 4pm and it seems to help my body lose fat. If I want carbs at night it's primarily on weight training days and then I choose something like sweet potatoe or brown rice.

EDIT: Yes protein is very important. I shoot for 1g/lb of bodyweight everyday. For someone not weight training I would say at least 0.5gr/lb of body weight. You can over eat protein but it's much more difficult for your body to convert that and store the excess.

This right here^^^^^^^, is bro science at it's best!!!

Agreed..... meal frequency (including carbs intake) has little bearing on weightloss....
This discussion has been closed.