Does anyone get 10,000 steps a day ????

Options

Replies

• tattedlady75
    tattedlady75 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit zip that keeps track of my steps, when I first got it i would log about 5,000 but now I am upto 12,000 a day. Sometime i can hit 13 or 14,000. It's hard some days. I walk my son to school during the week and on the weekends I wake up early and walk around the neighborhood. At work i get up more often then necessary to get in steps, I walk during my coffee/snack break, after lunch i walk for 5-10 min., i make more trips to the filing room than necessary just to get in my steps, I park farther away. At home while I cook dinner I walk around and then after dinner I walk for about 30 min. Basically any time that you stand around or are just sitting you can get up and walk around. Basically most of the weight I have lost is from a calorie deficit and walking. It can be done you just have to remind yourself to walk instead of just standing there or sitting.
  • tfpdunn
    tfpdunn Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Most days I'm averaging about 12,000-13,000, but I don't log it. My up band syncs that activity with MFP for me.

I get there by parking at the back of my work lot, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, working out at lunch, then staying active when I get home at night - be it cooking, cleaning, puttering around the house or going for an actual walk.
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I can easily get 10k steps a day, just park at the back of the parking lot at work, take the long way to the restroom when you go, take the long way to a conference room. If you don't have a lot of meetings that day and are spending a lot of it at your desk then walk around and give your eyes a break once an hour as well as stretching your legs. I usually leave work at around 6k steps without much effort. After that it's just a matter of a lap or two around the block to get the remaining steps.
  • TeamDale
    TeamDale Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    The Japanese first started using the 10,000 steps a day number, as part of a marketing campaign! (to help sell pedometers). Since that initial campaign however, medical authorities around the world have agreed that 10,000 is a healthy number to aim for. The American Heart Association uses the 10,000 steps metric as a guideline to follow for improving health and decreasing risk of heart disease, the number one killer of men and women in America.

10,000 steps a day is a rough equivalent to the Surgeon General’s recommendation to accumulate 30 minutes of activity most days of the week. It should be enough to reduce your risk for disease and help you lead a longer, healthier life. The benefits are many: lower BMI, reduced waist size, increased energy, and less risk for Type II diabetes and heart disease. In fact, a recent study of the 10,000 steps a day method reported conclusive health benefits.

10,000 steps daily is approximately 5 miles. Unless you have a very active lifestyle or profession, you probably don’t reach 10,000 steps on a given day without putting some effort into your activity. This could be a lifestyle change such as walking to work, or the addition of an exercise routine to your day.
  • dorkof82
    dorkof82 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    i have a fitbit and let it adjust my burn for me. i do an average of 21,000 steps a day - and sit at a desk for 8 hours a day at work. 10k is do-able, by far.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Its very difficult to get 10,000 per day unless part of your job is walking. I think activity counts towards your overall calories burned. If you spend the day getting in an out of the car, walking into the store, unloading groceries - those are all calorie burners. Maybe not enough to raise the heart rate but still you are burning calories.

I don't think this is necessarily true! I have a desk job working with computers. My average steps per day is in the 11,000-13,000 range. I park far away from my office in the morning, I walk to the bathroom way on the other side of my building, I walk to get lunch, I walk my dogs in the evening, and then do whatever workout I have planned.

A lot of days I even have 15,000 - 20,000 steps. Just focus on moving/walking whenever you have a chance and it's totally do-able.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    10,000 steps a day is a rough equivalent to the Surgeon General’s recommendation to accumulate 30 minutes of activity most days of the week.

Hmmm - are you sure about that? For an average adult stride length, 2000 steps = one mile. Unless you are running at a 10 mph pace, there is no way a human can get 10,000 steps in 30 minutes - not even close!
  • Nige_Gsy
    Nige_Gsy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    In the UK the 10,000 steps arises from the British Heart Foundation's campaign to raise exercise levels in the general population. For most people it will equate to about 5k or more a day.

I've been using a Fitbit to monitor steps, and other things, for over a year now. Initially I started with a daily target of 3k steps, increasing to 5k, then 8k and now 10k as part of my rehab process from a long term ankle injury. For around 6 months now I've been over the 10k on most days aside from the ones where I've aggravated the injury.

Even for me in a largely sedentary office job I'm able to get past 10k with a 30 - 40 minute walk. It would be a much shorter time if I jogged or ran of course.

But, don't get hung up on the number of steps. At the end of the day the weight losss only comes from acheiving a claorie deficit (less taken in than burnt); so the steps is only a part of getting to that point. You could just as easily burn the calories doing weghts or other stuff such as cycling or swimming.

Hope that may help somebody.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I've done about 30,000 at Disney World in a single 24 hour period :-D
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    Sure
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Its very difficult to get 10,000 per day unless part of your job is walking. I think activity counts towards your overall calories burned. If you spend the day getting in an out of the car, walking into the store, unloading groceries - those are all calorie burners. Maybe not enough to raise the heart rate but still you are burning calories.

my job involves sitting on my butt, and I drive to work, but I regularly get 10,000 plus steps a day as I make it a point to park further, take the stairs, etc.

I only count my walks if they are walks intended for exercise (like the OPs 3500 step walks) but I do not normally count log the steps I take (the 10k+/-) as those are a part of my ADL (activities for daily living) so i only log intentional (extra) exercise - such as my weight lifting class or swimming or elliptical or the aforementioned intended for exercise walks

regarding the 15000 steps for weight loss yes it is true that you can lose weight regardless of the number of steps you take, but there was actual research done on number of steps taken per day on average by those who were considered healthy (both weight and cardiovascular wise) and research done on number of exercise calories done per day by those who have succesfully lost weight (and a conversion into how many additional steps that this entailed) it was very popular media news, but quite some time ago (10-15 years? ) so the research has probably been updated- I am sure you could medscape or google it

regardless of what you decide- keep up the great work!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    On a normal work day 10,000 is really easy for me to get, as I walk to and from work, around the classroom as I teach, to and from different buildings, etc etc. Now, on maternity leave, I know the school run (well, walk actually) is around 6,000 steps and I try not to exceed that as I'm still recovering.

However, if I have a day 100% at home, for example, packing for a holiday, however busy I feel, I seldom reach 5,000 steps. What this tells me is that going out is my best bet of some exercise.

Remember too that not all pedometers count every step. My fitbit dramatically undercounts my steps on Wii Step, so I suspect it loses others elsewhere too.
  • runlilyrun
    Options
    Back to the original question about logging steps or not - I don't log the walking that I do during the course of the day, as I feel that's accounted for in my 'Lightly Active' setting in MFP. I do, however, log the times that I go out specifically 'for a walk.'
  • rainbow_Moonbeam
    Options
    I take longer strides when I'm on a walk... I achieve 10,000 steps more often with shorter walks than longer ones. On actual walks it can take 6+ miles as opposed to wandering which takes around 3. So I mainly ignore steps and go by miles. It's annoying to take 2 hours and 6.5 miles for 10000 steps because I take longer strides.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I probably do. How many steps do you take to walk a mile? Maybe 3-4000? So I'd you walk 3 miles you should get close.

Fitbit calculates roughly 2000 steps per mile.

Over the summer I set my goal to 12000. Some days where I did some long walks I was getting over 25000. Now the weather is turning and I won't be outside so much then my goal is back down to 10000 which I can usually achieve as long as I get up and walk around a bit during the day and after work.
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    It seems like I only hit it when I exercise - my half an hour of running/walking normally adds a few thousand calories. I'm also a student, so I spend a lot of time sitting in class or sitting around doing homework (the rest of my steps come from walking to and from class). On a busy day, when I can't get a workout in, I shoot for 6-7,000.
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    I'm bouncing around in the 9K-11K range withmy top in the last few months 17000+. the trick to getting to 10,000 consistently is to build it up gradually. Intentionally add 500 steps a week so that you develop the improved habit of moving more without overexhausting yourself and quitting. I only count the calories for the times when I do specific exercise not just bathroom breaks and copier runs
  • morning_joy
    morning_joy Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    On my workout days, I average about 15,000 and on rest days about 5,000. When I started using my FitBit, I was at about 2,000 on a rest day and about 5,000 on a workout day. You will find yourself increasing the number of steps you do each day. My walks turned into walk/runs or hikes or bikes and they all increased mile by mile until I got to where I am today. I also find myself walking in place while I watch tv instead of sitting on the couch. I use the stair master at the gym so I can increase my stair cases climbed. I got my FitBit for Christmas and I just passed 750 miles walked!!

Be excited about where you are now and just keep pushing yourself to do more each day.

Juliana
  • autumn_skye
    autumn_skye Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    If you have a FitBit, it tracks all of your steps and links to MFP. It does count your steps toward activity...MFP will adjust your calorie goal based on the steps that FitBit logs. I find that on the days I do not go to the gym, I log about 7000 steps per day. When I add my cardio workout I usually go anywhere from 10,500-14000 depending on if I walk to the gym or not
  • AndrasLOHF
    AndrasLOHF Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I do... plus some. I have a desk job but it's pretty laid back and am able to get up and walk often. I'll also do a mile or two before or after work and I'll take a walk during my lunch break(I'll eat at my desk when I return). I have the Fitbit flex to help with tracking and usually finish out a week with over 100,000 steps.