What does everyone eat at Olive Garden?

Options

Replies

• redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Can I ask an honest question without offending anyone hopefully? I think their food is seriously mediocre. I mean one step above fast food mediocre. Why do people like these chain restaurants so much? I get them all mixed up because they are all the same to me. I feel like I can get the same quality in the frozen food section of the grocery store. It tastes like cafeteria food.

Agreed. If I want Italian, I go to Rosso which is locally owned, uses local foods, and is freaking amazing. And I only spend maybe $20 more for two people to eat.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    My husband hates it too. He says after going to Italy and living there, that eating at Olive Garden is a sacrilege. Well I don't expect it to be "real" Italian food, so I am fine with that (no more than American Chinese and real Chinese are the same. But I also like Toxic Hell, aka Taco Bell, despite knowing the meat is faux meat filler stuff.)

I love their alfredo sauce for my breadsticks and then I will get something like the Seafood Portofino. If I am trying to be good, I will do the Capellni Pomodoro. They used to do this Lasagna Rollato things-soooooo good! But they stopped serving that and my favorite, Chicken Vino Bianco. I swear If I like it, they take it off the menu! :(

I signed up for their emails and I have to say, with the coupons and the freebies I get, it is actually cheaper for the 4 of us to go there than to go to McDonalds. And we always leave with leftovers.

But in light of the husband's antipathy, I only get it maaaybe once or twice a semester. usually when I have had a super long day at work and he feels sorry for me haha
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    Soup, salad and breadsticks, Most soups are less than 200 cals. Get the dressing on the side and eat no more than 1 breadstick they have 150 cas a piece.

The apricot chicken is also good.
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Can I ask an honest question without offending anyone hopefully? I think their food is seriously mediocre. I mean one step above fast food mediocre. Why do people like these chain restaurants so much? I get them all mixed up because they are all the same to me. I feel like I can get the same quality in the frozen food section of the grocery store. It tastes like cafeteria food.

I'm with you, I don't care for many chain restaurants at all. I went to Olive Garden last week for a coworker's birthday. I stuck with the soup & salad.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

We made reservations at a local Italian place for our anniversary dinner. It's a popular, downtown restaurant and we were able to dress up for it.

The took walk-ins over our reservation, crammed us in a corner on two uncomfortable iron, patio-style chairs and all of the food was way over seasoned and spicy.

I will admit, I usually have well-prepared food at Olive Garden but this last time everything seem like it was dry and re-heated. Was not impressed.
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Capellini Pomodoro is amazing. I always have the Zuppa Toscana, as well.
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I haven't had good experiences with Olive Garden, either. I think I've been 3 times, to 3 different locations, and all I remember are grease and salt and over-dressed salad. The breadsticks that so many people seem to like seem especially greasy to me. It wasn't Applebee's-level gross, but the local diner makes better, fresher-tasting Italian dishes.

I don't hate all chains -- I tried Salty Sow last week and it was pretty good -- but Olive Garden is seriously low on my list.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    All the pastas! The breadsticks, duh.
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I haven't had good experiences with Olive Garden, either. I think I've been 3 times, to 3 different locations, and all I remember are grease and salt and over-dressed salad. The breadsticks that so many people seem to like seem especially greasy to me. It wasn't Applebee's-level gross, but the local diner makes better, fresher-tasting Italian dishes.

I don't hate all chains -- I tried Salty Sow last week and it was pretty good -- but Olive Garden is seriously low on my list.

LOL Applebees gross! That's so funny to me because I will NOT eat at Aplebees if you had a gun to my head. The MOST disgusting "Food" ever
  • mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options

LOL Applebees gross! That's so funny to me because I will NOT eat at Aplebees if you had a gun to my head. The MOST disgusting "Food" ever

Agreed!!!
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Thankfully, I don't.
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I'm squarely in the camp of "WHY does anyone eat at Olive Garden?".
  • ashleybreanna13
    ashleybreanna13 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I totally agree!

I actually dont think it's THAT wonderful either. A co-worker of mine has a friend who works there, and she says they literally have frozen meals shipped in, and when someone orders something, they just pop it in the microwave like a microwavable meal. I would rather go to a "bar and grill" or something, but it was not my turn to choose. My boyfriend loves Olive Garden, so we go when it's his choice sometimes.
  • DianeSwartzs
    DianeSwartzs Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Apricot Chicken - Capellini Pomodoro with chicken
    (both of these are under 575 calories)

I don't ea t any bread sticks, no dressing but lots of salad
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

This. Especially if you live on the East Coast!
  • ashleybreanna13
    ashleybreanna13 Posts: 249 Member
    Options

Lasagna Primavera (has squash and zucchini in it, and I've never had those)

Never had squash or zucchini???

Nope! Was not raised on the right foods, sadly. I however chose to be different than my family and start eating right and exploring "garden foods" as I like to call fruits and veggies.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

IKR? I mean, Hawaii is full of authentic tasty Italian fare why in the world...oh wait. Wait. No it's not.

Guess I'll just have to deal with Olive Garden. Poor me.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    ive been twice since this lifestyle change. both times i ate the same thing. never ending pasta angel hair with meat sauce. 2 portions. 2 portions of salad. and 1 breadstick. MMMMM>
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I totally agree!

I actually dont think it's THAT wonderful either. A co-worker of mine has a friend who works there, and she says they literally have frozen meals shipped in, and when someone orders something, they just pop it in the microwave like a microwavable meal. I would rather go to a "bar and grill" or something, but it was not my turn to choose. My boyfriend loves Olive Garden, so we go when it's his choice sometimes.

Find a local Italian place and make him eat there when he suggests the Olive Garden. It's time for him to expand his horizons and stop wasting his money on crappy food.
  • ehorn625
    Options
    Can't remember the last time I went to Olive Garden it was so long ago!