26 lbs lost - 6 weeks on Eat to Live

Options

Replies

• runa00
    runa00 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am planning on starting this tomorrow. I've logged everything into my diary for tomorrow and plan on working out to get rid of those extra calories. I also added in 2 tbsp of coconut oil for health benefits and I'm only over my calories due to this. I'm also planning on consuming cow's milk until I can add in a milk alternative. I have at least 100 pounds to loose so this will be a drastic change in my lifestyle. I'm looking forward to it!
  • edcaroljm
    Options
    Awesome results. Today the start of my second week on Eat to Live, although I've been doing whole foods, plant based for two years now. I slipped with drinking some red wine, and two cups of Starbucks soy mocha. I'm redoubling my efforts this week.
  • rosestring
    rosestring Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Do you absolutely have to eat this way all the time? I want to lose 30 pounds, but be able to still eat in a healthy manner. I'd like to continue eating in a Mediterranean diet kind of way, while still being able to eat some sweets once a week or so.

Or does it just mess up all of your progress?
  • diana145000
    Options
    Did anybody experience skin rashes as a detox symptoms in the first days/weeks?
  • ilizzyd
    ilizzyd Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    bump
  • charlenefitandfabulous
    Options
  • hollynono
    hollynono Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm in week two of ETL and I'm already noticing the results. Could you please recommend a good book on cooking greens? Thanks!
  • karen0214
    karen0214 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am so happy to find this thread here on MFP. I started ETL on Sept 1 and so far I've lost 11 lbs. I did not have the book in the beginning and so I was going by what a friend was telling me and what I could find on the Internet. Once I got the book and started seeing more details, especially the part about eating 1 pound raw veggies and 1 pound cooked veggies, my weight loss picked up a little. I totally love this way of eating and most of my cravings for junk foods have disappeared. I am having more energy and my fibromyalgia pains has decreased considerably. I am convinced this is how I want to eat for the rest of my life.

However, I have about 90 more lbs to lose and I feel a little discouraged that my weight is not coming off any faster. I don't want to lose it too quickly because I am 50 yrs old and I want my skin to have time to adjust and retract, but I keep plateauing and not losing. I have been at the same weight for a week now with no loss. I am trying to eat the 1 lb of raw veggies daily, but I get so full that it's miserable, so I don't accomplish that everyday. I keep a crockpot full of kale and bean soup going all the time, which is great for quick lunches or when I don't feel like cooking supper or as an addition to any supper. I also add mushrooms, onions, asparagus, tomatoes, etc., to the soup. I did add some lean beef in it for seasoning and for my kids to have a little meat, but I pick most of the meat out of mine before I eat it. I am wondering if that little bit of meat could delay my weight loss? I am guessing the few little pieces here and there would not be more than about 1 - 2 oz. per day, and not even every day because I don't always put meat in the soup. Also, I eat a veggie boca burger about 3 times a week with a large salad. I do not exercise consistently yet. My calories are averaging around 1,200 a day.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions for me, please post back or message me. Again, I am so happy to find that there are people on here who are eating this way and having such great success.
  • gonna_do_it_56
    gonna_do_it_56 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jillll1
    jillll1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    bump :0)
  • crabbyjean
    Options
    I just started ETL last sunday. I lost 14 pounds this week and that is FANTASTIC, but I feel like I'm going to barf if I have to eat one more salad or cup of vegetable bean soup. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I have always loved vegetables, but the thought of one more day on this diet is enough to make me cry. I've tried lots of different spices, but can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. My whole family is following the diet, and I seem to be the only one having this much trouble. Any suggestions?
  • Bonnievegan
    Bonnievegan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Maybe you just need to mix it up a little and be creative. For example tomorrow I will have a fruit salad with ground linseed and a few almonds for breakfast, for lunch I will have scrambled tofu with mushrooms and peppers and vegan chilli and for dinner I will have a deconstructed sushi salad. I know you are supposed to have soup for lunch but I just can't do that, I am still sticking to the guidelines and the weight is falling off. It defeats the whole point if you get so bored with your food that you end up having a huge binge on junk.
  • edilla
    edilla Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think you have to get really creative with cooking.

I proposed ETL to my fiance in July and he was all for it, despite being a committed meat eater. Well, he managed to stick to it, and has lost 30 pounds over the last four months (without moderating his beer consumption), while I fell off the wagon due to work-related stress and actually gained about 10 pounds (mostly due to drinking and late night snacking). Part of the reason why he did so well is that he is happy to eat a giant mixing bowl of salad for lunch everyday, while I get bored with it very quickly. So now that I am back on the wagon, I'm also committed to cooking creatively because I'm not going to spend the rest of my life eating a mesclun mix salad every day!

In addition to LOTS of vegan cooking websites, the three cookbooks that I've found to be quite helpful for both vegan recipes and for easily modified vegetarian recipes are:

1. Eat, Drink and Be Vegan - this is great for cooking during the week - the recipes are pretty straightforward and don't call for many specialty ingredients. Also, each recipe suggests complementary dishes, so it is easy to put an entire meal together.
    2. Veganomicon - these recipes are more complex, and can take a while to put together. It's more of a weekend cookbook, although the first section has good straightforward advice on ways to prepare basics (root vegetables, beans, etc)
    3. Jerusalem - this isn't a vegan cookbook, it is a Mediterranean cookbook. Although these recipes call for a lot of ingredients and are time-consuming (another 'weekend' cookbook), everything I have made from it has been AMAZING - including the last hummus recipe you will ever need. Many of the recipes are meat free, or easily adjustable, and leafy green and beans feature prominently. They are quite oil-heavy however, so if you are on the strict 6-week plan, you will have to make adjustments.

The other piece of advice I would offer is to make a large pot of really flavorful stock on Sunday so you have a good base for cooking without oil and for making soup. I fill a roasting pan with vegetables, throw them in the oven for an hour, and then use them to make stock (and once they are strained out, I use them to make a vegetable soup base). I keep it in a pitcher in the fridge, so I can easily pour some out when I need to.
  • philhale
    Options
    How to feel proud of yourself.

For those of you that have lost 80 lbs, go to Lowe's or Home Depot and lift (or try to) an 80 pound sack of cement. You'll learn about one of the greatest mysteries of the universe... God can make fat disappear into "thin" air! Praise His HolyName. This dumb Arkie has finally cracked the diabetes code...it's beans and greens. I'm now off ALL meds. Check out Eat to Live on Amazon.com.
  • resharpen
    Options
    I began following the "Eat to Live" program about 5 weeks ago. I have lost 10 lbs. so far, have a lot more energy. PLUS: I used to get much more frequent headaches & migraines (I attribute this to giving up all soda, including diet), and I had carpal tunnel in my right wrist/hand, which used to ache. I no longer have carpal tunnel symptoms.
    I also credit my success to the fact that before I began this program (and I only did because a friend of mine gave me her book to read), I saw a great documentary "The Peaceable Kingdom" - about 5 farmers who gave up farming and now run animal sanctuaries, and all are vegans. When I saw the slaughter of animals in that film, I ran out of the room. I was so affected.
    I give everyone here SO much credit! As others, I have not found the program to be difficult at all. also - the weight has come off, so far, from my belly region. That is good, because a 'large belly' is a sign of poor health. I have about 25 lbs. more to go, and want to stay with this as a way of life.
  • Walkin2cure
    Options
    I am heading out to buy the ETL book and cookbook. I was very successful loosing weight with HCG last year and as life sometimes happens, have gained all that back and more. In March I will be 60, so far no healt problems, but want to keep itthat way. I do have high cholesterol, but that's it.

I really want to find a program that I can live with and loose about 40 pounds. Better yet, I want to keep it off for life. I love fruits and veggies, and am looking for any tips that might make the transition easy.
  • eatveggies7
    eatveggies7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I Love eat to live!
  • vegangirl102
    Options
    I'm just about to start this eating plan! I tried it last year and didn't make it through the six weeks but I'm very determined to be successful in it now! I have a trip in 2 months and a bit that I want to lose weight for! I know that Dr. Fuhrman says you can lose about 20-25 pounds in the first six weeks of eating vegan, however, I'm wondering if there is anything I can to do to optimize this weight loss! It really want to lose around 30-35 lbs for my trip! Any advice? Would adding exercise make me lose more? Also, after you've completed the six weeks, how do you continue to lose weight? At what rate do you lose it? Thanks so much and great job to everyone who has been successful in this eating plan...it's very overwhelming at first!!
  • gerbies
    gerbies Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend any of the a Happy Herbivore cookbooks for easy, quick, low fat plant-based meals. You can also check out her blog/web site/a Facebook for ideas. I have not gone fully plant -based, but these recipes are helping!
  • _blizzard_
    _blizzard_ Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try this. I love veggies and beans. I make a bag of them on the stove every few days. I'm very excited.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!