Suggested serving sizes suck!

Options
mkakids
mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
I just weighed a single, 35 calorie serving of texas toast brand croutons. It was 4 croutons! I wish food manufacturers would put a realistic serving size, along with a higher calorie count!

I knew it wouldnt be a large serving for 35 calories, but to suggest a 4 crouton serving is nuts. Tell me a serving is 12 croutons and is worth 140 calories.

This is just a pointless rant.

Replies

• alittlemopo
    alittlemopo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I completely get it, not too long ago I bought a pack of sausage and a serving was half of a sausage, really????
  • divacowgirl
    Options
    I hear ya! I have mistaken proper "serving sizes" for years.
    What I dislike is the manufacturer only listing calories for a certain portion, not the container when that item is sold as a single serve, such as soft drinks. Seems dishonest to me...
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Same way a small bag of chips is 2 serving.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    I just weighed a single, 35 calorie serving of texas toast brand croutons. It was 4 croutons! I wish food manufacturers would put a realistic serving size, along with a higher calorie count!

I knew it wouldnt be a large serving for 35 calories, but to suggest a 4 crouton serving is nuts. Tell me a serving is 12 croutons and is worth 140 calories.

This is just a pointless rant.

why does it matter? just add 4 servings instead of one
  • feelin_gr_8
    feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    got a box of cookies on an impulse buy (made sure to leave calories)...they came 3 to a pack...serving size was 2 of the 3...
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Companies do that so at first glance, the calories seem low, and consumers will by it. It is deceiving.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I agree, some of the serving sizes are ridiculous like some drinks are 2.5-3 servings really how many people drink 1/3 of a drink, or trail mix some of them aren6 servings for a tiny bit..ok done ranting with you
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    One thing to keep in mind is that for some things the FDA dictates what the serving size is. So, in some cases it's stupid FDA, not stupid food manufacturers.

Just gotta make sure the hates gets spread around properly :)
  • seilidhe
    seilidhe Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I know they aren't the healthiest thing to eat to begin with, but even before I started logging my food, it bugged me that a serving of Pop-Tarts is one tart but they come two in one of the foil pouches. Let's get real here... I'm pretty sure that very few people eat only one.
  • thoshowski
    thoshowski Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I had a single serving lunch one day (it said single serving on the packaging). Then when I went to put it in MFP, I realized the calorie count wasn't for one serving, but rather half of the container. So my plan for the day was out the window.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Companies do that so at first glance, the calories seem low, and consumers will by it. It is deceiving.

Absolutely!

A lady at work likes Stouffer's Mac & Cheese ......until I casually pointed out the 10 oz box has 2 servings! Yikes .... it was almost 700 calories for lunch.
  • uthatswho
    Options
    It was an eye opener for me too when I started reading labels. Nibbling is even harder to calculate :P
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Some products have serving sizes normalized -- check the cereal aisle sometime, pretty much every cereal is between 100-150cal per serving ... 3/4-1cup dry ... "healthy" or "sugary" cereal, they're all pretty much the same ... just bowls of carbs, not a lot of difference.
  • TheGirlsATimeBomb
    TheGirlsATimeBomb Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    2 tbsp of jif a serving?
    more like 27.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    One thing to keep in mind is that for some things the FDA dictates what the serving size is. So, in some cases it's stupid FDA, not stupid food manufacturers.

Just gotta make sure the hates gets spread around properly :)

yes, this!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Some products have serving sizes normalized -- check the cereal aisle sometime, pretty much every cereal is between 100-150cal per serving ... 3/4-1cup dry ... "healthy" or "sugary" cereal, they're all pretty much the same ... just bowls of carbs, not a lot of difference.

Um ....nope.

Granola type or Grape Nuts are > 200 calories per serving. You need to be careful here too. Edited to add ..... these serving sizes are about 1/2 cup.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    2 tbsp of jif a serving?
    more like 27.

I like you.
  • TheGirlsATimeBomb
    TheGirlsATimeBomb Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    2 tbsp of jif a serving?
    more like 27.

I like you.

i love dogs so.
    but really. whoever thinks they can eat only 2 tbsp of jif has obviously never had jif.
  • notyouraveragetalia
    Options
    I almost cried the first time I used a food scale to measure out peanut butter. Cereal was also shockingly painful.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Progresso Soup used to list their cans of soup as containing 2.2 servings per can.