Red Wine Drinkers

Replies

• Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,000 Member
    I really don't care for chocolate cake. But just because I don't like it, doesn't mean that I would suggest that the only reason anyone else might enjoy it is because they want to be "cool."

However, I get the feeling my post here is just troll food.

i got that too. I feel so used. I think i'll go pour myself a glass of wine to make myself feel better. :wink:
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Never even heard of Cougartown. What's that? TV programme?

I love red wine. I would drink it by the gallon if my system could handle the ABV and calories - sadly it's the alcohol that makes good wine taste good, so I'm forced to limit my intake.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    I assume the OP hasn't enjoyed it much. Not everyone does like wine..I suggest you try a wine like bojelais nuveo(spelling?). Letting it breathe for a half hour isn't pretentious, its actually important for the taste.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    A lot of red wines don't taste nice to me.

But I just found a 2009 Syrah from a local vineyard (J. Fillippi) that is so damn delicious. I really like it and it is surprisingly affordable, only about $9/bottle!

That is a nice winery....they make a killer Chocolate Port.

As for enjoying Reds I was introduced through food pairings.
    Syrah and bbq, Merlot and Italian red sauces, also Chianti. Pino Noir with Orange duck, etc.

I find whites enjoyable in the summer and Reds in the winter.
    However I will have Reds in the summer.:bigsmile:

To answer the OP....yes some people are sheep....
  • mag131
    mag131 Posts: 542 Member
    I like it when mixed with orange juice, and sometimes drink it plain for the distinct red wine buzz it gives me.
  • I'm not at all keen on Red wines, prefer chardonnay.
  • Mobilemuscle
    Mobilemuscle Posts: 945 Member
    Scotch is the same as red wine right?
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    you are weird if you dont like it.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    I Love Red wine, I try not to drink it too often though. I like Blackberry Merlot the best, but a good glass of Cabernet is awesome as well. Yellowtail Cabernet -Merlot is pretty cheap and really good for cooking with.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I like it sometimes...It has to be evening/night and relatively coolish temps. I probably drink more red wine in the fall than any other time of year. I truly enjoy it when I'm in the mood and it's a good wine. In the summers I definitely prefer ice cold beer...margaritas and the like; in the winter months I prefer a nice bourbon on the rocks.

I do not particularly like Carbernets or Merlots...they're too dry for my taste...I really enjoy a good Pinot Noir though...and there are some really nice red blends that I also like...people make fun of me because it's not some specific grape or whatever...but F 'em...I like it.
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    I love Malbec :love:
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    I find whites enjoyable in the summer and Reds in the winter.
    However I will have Reds in the summer.:bigsmile:

That's exactly how I feel. When it's hot and 100 degrees out a chilled white is amazing. I'll still call a red my favorite though. It has the best flavor for sure.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    For all of you who responded that they love wine, please share if you enjoyed it the first time you had it. Or if it was an acquired taste.

Always loved it!
  • Loooove Cab Sav

TOTALLY I love Cabernet Savignon, it is also amazing for its health benefits if you wanna fact check that :) Also love the wine enthusiasm on that show "The New Adventures of Old Christine" lol
  • tinglesby
    tinglesby Posts: 96 Member
    If I can drink it straight from the bottle the second I bring it home with no refrigeration required I love it.

ETA: If you look in my diary it's the only drink I consume that contains calories so therefore it must be awesome if I'm willing to make that sacrifice.

red wine like shiraz and pinot nior arent supposed to be refrigerated anyway. and i love those two types! :)
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    For all of you who responded that they love wine, please share if you enjoyed it the first time you had it. Or if it was an acquired taste.

For me it was an acquired taste, well, more like trying different reds until I found the right one for me. I used to only drink whites and rose but I prefer the "chilled out" drunk that I get with red.
    It's a mission for me to find wine that I can have..a lot of them use isinglass during the clarification process.

For vegetarians and vegans www.barnivore.com lets you know which wines/beers/spirits you can consume :drinker:
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    I don't watch "Cougar Town" - red wine is the nectar of the gods and it angers me that I've had to give it up to lose weight.

As for your question of liking it the first time, no I didn't it was white wine that was my first wine experience, which is disgusting. Even the good stuff. Red wine on the other hand after several years of trying "blush" or yet another disgusting white at Fancy dinner events, someone handed me a glass of Shiraz and my days were numbered. Tho' I now prefer a stronger more bold Cabernet, also I have learned that spending less than $15 on a bottle is asking for trouble.
  • mag131
    mag131 Posts: 542 Member

I loved white wine from the first sip...well, second sip. I was eight the first time I tasted it, so that doesn't count.

(I'm still the best though)
  • KokowithaK
    KokowithaK Posts: 88 Member
    O_o I don't have cable. Red wine is delicious.

Same here.
    I like red wine, and white wine, and sangria, etc.

I drink it because I like it... I don't even have regular channels on my TV. We have Netflix and I mostly only use it to watch Doctor Who, LOL!

Red Wine = +1
    White wine = -1
    Sangria = +1
    Doctor Who = YOU WIN

I personally used to think it was too dry. My friend kept bringing it over though because she liked it, and so I started drinking it with her. Now I'm in LOVE with red wine. Probably to a disturbing point. I think I drink 2+ glasses a night. Wino here!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    enjoyed wine from teh start but i didnt drink wine when i was young. by the time i tried wine i had already been drinking beer and liquor. i didnt enjoy beer or liqour when i started drinking them in highschool but we did buy the cheap stuff.
  • Par8hed4life
    Par8hed4life Posts: 104 Member

Most people will admit that wine is an acquired taste and one they didn't enjoy at first. So that would say that most people drink wine to be part of the 'in" crowd, not because the enjoy it. (excluding the sweet wines, which are looked down on)

Most people also say that beer is an acquired taste. Why isn't that included in this discussion?
    I acquired my taste to both beer and wine. Neither due to the "in" crowds persuasion:

Beer-acquired a taste for it in college when the guys buying beer (yes, I was underage) wouldn't by me wine coolers or Zima.
    Wine- acquired a taste for it when I decided to start loosing weight. Red wine is lower in wheat and sugar than beer and white wine.

I LOVE COUGAR TOWN and will one day get myself a "BIG CARL" to drink my acquired taste, red wine out of.

CHEERS!!!!!!!!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member

I would say it was more of an evolutionary thing...I didn't really start drinking wine until I worked in the restaurant industry...it helped to learn the different wines to up-sell the customer and recommend more expensive wines than the house blah to go with their entree. I discovered that I liked a lot of them.
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    I've never watched "Cougartown". I drink my wine because I like it. Red or white. :drinker:
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member

Grew up in a family where wine was served all the time. Even as kids we could have a glass for special occasions. I've always liked it.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    O_o I don't have cable. Red wine is delicious.

Same here.
    I like red wine, and white wine, and sangria, etc.

I drink it because I like it... I don't even have regular channels on my TV. We have Netflix and I mostly only use it to watch Doctor Who, LOL!

Red Wine = +1
    White wine = -1
    Sangria = +1
    Doctor Who = YOU WIN

I personally used to think it was too dry. My friend kept bringing it over though because she liked it, and so I started drinking it with her. Now I'm in LOVE with red wine. Probably to a disturbing point. I think I drink 2+ glasses a night. Wino here!

YAY! I win! Now where's my prize? LOL!
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member

Grew up in a family where wine was served all the time. Even as kids we could have a glass for special occasions. I've always liked it.

Same here...my stepfather is something of a gourmet chef. We had good wine in the house from the time I was about 14.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    The first time? Yes, I liked it. It was a Pinot and a good quality one at that. My next glass of wine, a Cab, sucked. It came out of a jug.

This is an irrelevant question as it depends on the what your first wine was. Did it come from a box and was it "bottled" 2 weeks ago? It probably sucks. Has it ages properly, did it breath after being corked, and was it made from a high quality grape? If so it was probably good.

My assumption is that most people's first experience with wine is with a lower quality wine.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Most people also say that beer is an acquired taste. Why isn't that included in this discussion?
    I acquired my taste to both beer and wine. Neither due to the "in" crowds persuasion:

Beer-acquired a taste for it in college when the guys buying beer (yes, I was underage) wouldn't by me wine coolers or Zima.
    Wine- acquired a taste for it when I decided to start loosing weight. Red wine is lower in wheat and sugar than beer and white wine.

I LOVE COUGAR TOWN and will one day get myself a "BIG CARL" to drink my acquired taste, red wine out of.

CHEERS!!!!!!!!!!
    "BIG CARL" Every time I see that thing full of wine, I start to salivate. :smile:
  • ladyfox1979
    ladyfox1979 Posts: 405 Member
    I love my ELECTRA moscato best tasting red sweet red wine on the planet. I drink a glass just about every night. I am not saying how big the glass is:blushing:
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    I don't watch "Cougar Town" - red wine is the nectar of the gods and it angers me that I've had to give it up to lose weight.

Why have you "had to give it up"? If you have enough calories you can fit it in. I have a glass on days when I find I've got enough calories to fit it in, or use my exercise calories to pay for it - I drink much less, but I still drink it! In fact I had a glass tonight. Of course, I measure out my glasses to be able to log it accurately.

We don't often have any in the house any more - used to always have a bottle or two stored up. Now we rarely buy it, or I'll have a glass if I go out like tonight.