Lost 20lbs but don't see it? Where did it come off from?

Options
I've lost 20 pounds I started out 188 I am a pear shape I do work out on top of the dieting, I am now 168 and just get baffled that I don't see a huge difference, I am a pearshape so I'm not sure if that plays a part on why I don't see it, I carry alot of my weight on my lower body and I know that's the last to go, I have lost inches, it took me alot of time do get down to this number, I do take before and after pictures and again I don't see a huge change except for my stomach area and I do look like I've shrunk but the fat is still there and it drives me crazy, I didnt start off at a really high amount. Anyone else have this issue?

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    If you went from 188 to 168, you have a noticeable loss of mass. May be easier for other people to notice than you, especially if you have a self-critical eye (like many/most folks). Nice job, good luck :)
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I've lost 20 pounds I started out 188 I am a pear shape I do work out on top of the dieting, I am now 168 and just get baffled that I don't see a huge difference, I am a pearshape so I'm not sure if that plays a part on why I don't see it, I carry alot of my weight on my lower body and I know that's the last to go, I have lost inches, it took me alot of time do get down to this number, I do take before and after pictures and again I don't see a huge change except for my stomach area and I do look like I've shrunk but the fat is still there and it drives me crazy, I didnt start off at a really high amount. Anyone else have this issue?

I whacked on 10 kg recently and didn't notice it. Clothes still fit. What's that all about? haha. Never take your eyes off the scale for an instant!

So I guess I won't notice as it goes. Do you find you can move more easily? Bend further? That's usually how I tell.

You will have lost it, it will be noticeable to others, from behind, possibly. :D But I've always found when I lose weight that I become accustomed to myself as I shrink and I can't see the changes. :)
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Yeah cos you see yourself every day and it's gradual. You will look noticeably slimmer - another five pounds and other people will really start to notice.

Nice going, btw. :smile:
  • apamapandapa
    apamapandapa Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Girls I suggest making photos... It helps soo much to see the difference!!! :)))
  • Ashley6278
    Options
    Isn't that a bad thing if you lose mass?
  • Ashley6278
    Options
    I'm sure it's there I probably distorted the view of myself which is a bad, but Im just gonna keep going! Thanks girls
  • vayvonne1999
    vayvonne1999 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    20 lbs!!! That is awesome! I am down 17 and have a hard time telling the difference when I look in the mirror but can tell a huge difference in the way my clothes are fitting - especially my bra!!! You are awesome and keep it up!!
  • willial2310
    Options
    It is gone and you will continue to lose it !!! take some pictures : ) I bet your friends can already see the lose on you!!! Keep up the great work can't wait till I am down 20 lbs. I just started this week : ) now I am tryin to catch up to you .
  • lucystacy71
    lucystacy71 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I was the same way. I lost 20lbs, but thought I looked the same. My pants were loser, but still fit well enough. In fact, I began to get discouraged.

A short time later, after I had lost an additional 5lbs, I was walking into a store when I caught sight of my reflection. Suddenly, I could see it and I was noticeably slimmer. I don't know why, but it just took awhile for it to register. I think I was so use to seeing me at one weight, I couldn't see it at first.

I'm a little bottom heavy myself, and the first place I really noticed the weight loss was my waist. I noticed my hips and thighs were getting smaller after I lost some off of my waist.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Isn't that a bad thing if you lose mass?

Mass is just weight. If you were going from 288 to 268, maybe it'd be hard to see. But 188 to 168, it's there for sure. That's a change people will notice. Maybe you're taking pictures of the wrong places, or just not seeing what is obvious to others.
  • shellymkmatthews
    Options
    measurements. Take them. Write them down. Take them again in a week or 2. Then you'll see the places its coming off of. Besides, if you're doing weight training in addition to cardio, you could be replacing fat with muscle. 1 pound of fat weighs the Same as a pound of muscle. But the fat takes up a hell of a lot less space. So keep it up girl!
  • JDubIsShrinking
    JDubIsShrinking Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Great work!
    You will notice - just give it time. I have lost 23, and was irritated because I did not notice a difference in the way my clothes were fitting, or the way I looked. Then I happened to catch a glimpse of reflection walking into a store earlier this week, and I'm definitely slimmer. Kind of felt like a tool stopping right there to check myself out, but I worked for that, darnit!
    I started with a photo last week too, and I plan to take another in October to compare.
    Stick with it - you're doing great!
  • Ashley6278
    Options
    yeah my clothes do fit better, thanks! I will keep going

20 lbs!!! That is awesome! I am down 17 and have a hard time telling the difference when I look in the mirror but can tell a huge difference in the way my clothes are fitting - especially my bra!!! You are awesome and keep it up!!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie deficit set at and what is your workout program? I dont want to be an alarmist but too severe of a deficit and no resistance training can lead to a a higher ratio of lean body mass loss . This can lead to a relatively small change in appearance when the weight loss is spread out over the whole body because the lean mass is more dense and takes up less space on the body.
  • You may be onto something. Perhaps it's because you saw yourself outside of the usual places you see yourself. You see yourself in that same mirror in your house all the time, but maybe the change of scenery put emphasis your weight loss for you.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options

Like you, I am also pear shape, lost 20 pounds and not seeing any real change, even though my clothes seems a lot looser. . I have gone from a size 14 pants to 11/12 (12 is falling off), but the thighs is killing me. Even my muffin top is going and my bottom have stopped rolling. I seem to losing inches, only wish the scale would move me into the 160s. You are right where I would like to be. Keep going.
  • Ashley6278
    Options
    What is your calorie deficit set at and what is your workout program? I dont want to be an alarmist but too severe of a deficit and no resistance training can lead to a a higher ratio of lean body mass loss . This can lead to a relatively small change in appearance when the weight loss is spread out over the whole body because the lean mass is more dense and takes up less space on the body.
    Well I eat 1200 to 1500 calories sometimes depends if i worked out that day,I do the 30 day shred, in the beginning I was eating to less and my body was holding on the weight, when i ate more I would step on the scale and the numbers were dropping, I always keep a eye on my macros. So I know I am eating properly
  • Ashley6278
    Options

Like you, I am also pear shape, lost 20 pounds and not seeing any real change, even though my clothes seems a lot looser. . I have gone from a size 14 pants to 11/12 (12 is falling off), but the thighs is killing me. Even my muffin top is going and my bottom have stopped rolling. I seem to losing inches, only wish the scale would move me into the 160s. You are right where I would like to be. Keep going.
    It took me forever for the scale to move but it did eventually, thats great that you lost pant sizes the scale will catch up im sure.