Red Wine Drinkers

Options

Replies

• SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    O_o I don't have cable. Red wine is delicious.

Same here.
    I like red wine, and white wine, and sangria, etc.

I drink it because I like it... I don't even have regular channels on my TV. We have Netflix and I mostly only use it to watch Doctor Who, LOL!

Red Wine = +1
    White wine = -1
    Sangria = +1
    Doctor Who = YOU WIN

I personally used to think it was too dry. My friend kept bringing it over though because she liked it, and so I started drinking it with her. Now I'm in LOVE with red wine. Probably to a disturbing point. I think I drink 2+ glasses a night. Wino here!

YAY! I win! Now where's my prize? LOL!
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    For all of you who responded that they love wine, please share if you enjoyed it the first time you had it. Or if it was an acquired taste.

Grew up in a family where wine was served all the time. Even as kids we could have a glass for special occasions. I've always liked it.

Same here...my stepfather is something of a gourmet chef. We had good wine in the house from the time I was about 14.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    For all of you who responded that they love wine, please share if you enjoyed it the first time you had it. Or if it was an acquired taste.
    The first time? Yes, I liked it. It was a Pinot and a good quality one at that. My next glass of wine, a Cab, sucked. It came out of a jug.

This is an irrelevant question as it depends on the what your first wine was. Did it come from a box and was it "bottled" 2 weeks ago? It probably sucks. Has it ages properly, did it breath after being corked, and was it made from a high quality grape? If so it was probably good.

My assumption is that most people's first experience with wine is with a lower quality wine.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Most people also say that beer is an acquired taste. Why isn't that included in this discussion?
    I acquired my taste to both beer and wine. Neither due to the "in" crowds persuasion:

Beer-acquired a taste for it in college when the guys buying beer (yes, I was underage) wouldn't by me wine coolers or Zima.
    Wine- acquired a taste for it when I decided to start loosing weight. Red wine is lower in wheat and sugar than beer and white wine.

I LOVE COUGAR TOWN and will one day get myself a "BIG CARL" to drink my acquired taste, red wine out of.

CHEERS!!!!!!!!!!
    "BIG CARL" Every time I see that thing full of wine, I start to salivate. :smile:
  • ladyfox1979
    ladyfox1979 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I love my ELECTRA moscato best tasting red sweet red wine on the planet. I drink a glass just about every night. I am not saying how big the glass is:blushing:
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I don't watch "Cougar Town" - red wine is the nectar of the gods and it angers me that I've had to give it up to lose weight.

Why have you "had to give it up"? If you have enough calories you can fit it in. I have a glass on days when I find I've got enough calories to fit it in, or use my exercise calories to pay for it - I drink much less, but I still drink it! In fact I had a glass tonight. Of course, I measure out my glasses to be able to log it accurately.

We don't often have any in the house any more - used to always have a bottle or two stored up. Now we rarely buy it, or I'll have a glass if I go out like tonight.
  • KokowithaK
    KokowithaK Posts: 88 Member
    Options

Same here.

I drink it because I like it... I don't even have regular channels on my TV. We have Netflix and I mostly only use it to watch Doctor Who, LOL!

Red Wine = +1
    White wine = -1
    Sangria = +1
    Doctor Who = YOU WIN

I personally used to think it was too dry. My friend kept bringing it over though because she liked it, and so I started drinking it with her. Now I'm in LOVE with red wine. Probably to a disturbing point. I think I drink 2+ glasses a night. Wino here!

If you were anywhere in my vicinity, you'd win a glass of pinot to drink with me! Cheers! :drinker:
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Isn't all alcohol an acquired taste to some extent?

Although alcopops hadn't been invented when I started drinking so maybe things have changed now
  • bernied262
    bernied262 Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I don't watch TV so I have no idea about the program you speak about. I love a glass (bottle :) ) of red wine. White wine as well, not so keen on Rose. Have been known to down the odd bottle of champers. What is not to love about wine?!
  • new_bella
    new_bella Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I love red wine. McManis makes a wonderful Cabernet Sauvignon---had some last night, so smooth and delish!
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options

Same here.

Red Wine = +1
    White wine = -1
    Sangria = +1
    Doctor Who = YOU WIN

If you were anywhere in my vicinity, you'd win a glass of pinot to drink with me! Cheers! :drinker:

My favorite red wine! Friend request incoming! :D
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Do you actually enjoy it or do you drink it because it's what they do on TV, i.e. Cougartown and you want to be part of the "in" crowd?

Scientific evidence would say the latter.

My sister teaches me about wine. The funny thing is, I usually end up liking a wine I pick 'taking a chance on' or that got recommended to me at BevMo more than a wine she was like, 'omg! you have to try this one!' But, that's okay, I'm still learning.

I enjoy red wine more than most white wines because I like the deeper flavors, especially when it tastes like cherries, berries, and grapes. Although, I do like some blushes and champanges.

I rarely watch TV shows, so that's not an influence on my drinking preferences at all. Red wine, cider, mead wine, and beer, yes please and thank you. :drinker:
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I drink red wine because I enjoy it. Period.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Do you actually enjoy it or do you drink it because it's what they do on TV, i.e. Cougartown and you want to be part of the "in" crowd?

Scientific evidence would say the latter.

I never used to like it...my friends all did so I thought I'd try it...slowly I began to develop a taste for it. Now I can say I truly enjoy it. I would say it's like getting a taste for coffee...the first few times you drink it you don't like it or even hate it (I never HATED either)...but after a while, you start to pick up on subtle flavors...enjoy it with certain foods. I am starting to enjoy both red and white wine...there are few things I enjoy more than a good glass of red after a day at work...sit outside and enjoy the weather.

Dunno-that's just me. Love it. It's my drink of choice.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    And by the way, thanks for putting this in my head...now all I can think about is how much I'd enjoy a glass before bed.
  • amandamae61288
    amandamae61288 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I dont care for the taste of alcohol for the most part. That being said, I do love sweet wines (which are looked down on, and I dont care). Sweet red chilled is my favorite. All kinds of wine taboos there, huh? Oh well.
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Red wine is one of my best friends :drinker:
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Red wine is divine. Definitely an acquired taste (for me). Outside of a glass of red with a steak or something, I didn't find a red that I can just sip until about a year ago. Was explaining my dilemma and was introduced to Bella Glos Meiomi Pinot Noir. It's VERY easy to drink and yummy w/or w/o food. That started my infatuation with red. Since then I've been on the prowl, trying to find more reds that I adore on their own and not just with food. I've found that Cabernet Sauvignon and Carmenere are my absolute faves. I really like Casillero del Diablo (for both). One important thing I've learned is how much of a difference it makes to enjoy wine at the proper temperature. HUGE. I can't just drink red wine at room temp. BLECH! 60° to 65° F is just right for a cab or carm. According to the interwebs it's "to make the tannins feel more supple and de-emphasize bitter components."
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Four words: Cakebread Cellars Pinot Noir. Heaven in your mouth. :)
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I really do enjoy red wine over white wine and most mixed drinks. I like both red wine and full flavored beer about the same though, just depends on my mood. Though, I'd much rather drink beer with a meal then sip a wine. Wine I like to drink a long or with a cheese plate.

What scientific evidence? Just curious. I don't watch cougar town, or most tv shows like that. I have netflix, what I usually watch: trailer park boys, archer, the office, always sunny, documentaries. So i'm curious as to where I'd 'learn' to like wine in those shows.