Bulk/tone up

Options
I just joined this site a few hours ago after having it referred to me by a friend. Really liking it so far, my main goal is to tone up gain a minimum of 10 pounds of muscle. I'm 22/f weighing 129 pounds. I used to be really fit and have muscle but the past couple years I've been slacking and now I'm trying to make up for lost time. I'm eating a lot (healthy foods) and started drinking muscle milk (the powder). What protein powder would you guys recommend other than that? I don't really know what protien powder is most effective for gaining muscle, I just drink the muscle milk cause that's what my dad drinks.
Right now I'm doing workouts on www.hasfit.com - best site ever by the way, it has workout routines for cardio, muscle building, abs, and strength, and they also have meal plans for gaining healthy weight. And I'm also going to the gym to do the weight machines, and also free weights, I go off the hasfit workout routine for excercises and reps.

Any advice on what else I could do to tone up?

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I just did a bulk, gaining 10lb, and didn't use any protein powder, I just made sure I got plenty of protein from food. I do occasionally have whey isolate protein powder, but it's not a necessity, I mostly have it because the vanilla flavoured one mixed with laban (Arabic dairy product) and frozen fruit makes a really good post-workout food that tastes a lot like ice cream but with a lot more protein for about 300 cals. I eat that kind of thing more when cutting though, because it's a lot of protein for the amount of calories.

Main thing with bulking is a) eat enough calories overall and b) eat enough protein. Protein powder can help with b) but it's not necessary if you plan your meals carefullly to get enough protein from food.

if you want my advice generally about gaining strength and eating, then it's a) do a programme like Starting Strength or Stronglifts that has progressive increases in weight on the bar, and b) calculate your calories rather than following a set meal plan, as everyone burns a different amount of calories depending on their size and activity levels.
  • ChrisH135
    ChrisH135 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above - get on top of your diet, if protein powder is needed you can add that later if you're struggling to hit your protein target.

Get a good gym routine - go to a professional if you can - at least at the start to design you a safe and personal plan to achieve your specific goals.

Then just get in the zone and enjoy! Train regularly and hard whether you're cutting or bulking, take your time in the gym seriously and don't forget to look after yourself outside the gym ie rest, diet etc.

Do regular reviews after the first couple of months to make sure you're happy with progress and change things up every now and then.

Sounds as though you've been active in the past so you'll be surprised how quickly your body will react if you're doing it right.

Good luck!
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    A simple full body 5x5 routine and a decent (not perfect) diet is all you need. Eat +300 to +500 calories over your TDEE and stick to the program and you won't go far wrong. You'll look better than most of your friends in no time.

When it comes to protein, you'll make faster results tracking and hitting your protein goals, but as mentioned, the protein powder isn't necessary if you get it from whole foods. So chicken, fish and cottage cheese.

Just be realistic and know that you aren't going to look like Arnold over night. Small steps, brother. Small steps.
  • Xtrobelights
    Xtrobelights Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) I'm not following a set meal plan or anything just eating a lot of protein and healthy calories. I usually only drink the muscle milk on the go or when I feel I haven't eaten enough protein, so it's not everyday. I train 5-6 days a week, on my off days I just do my 25 min stretch routine so I don't get too tight. I'm not trying to look all body builder like, cause I'm female lol just toned how I used to be and I really need to gain some healthy weight cause I'm right on the border of being underweight for my height by military standards.

Thanks for the advice guys helps out a lot especially when it's from people who've done bulks before :)
  • urbliss777
    Options
    So I am a female and, I am trying to get into body building but I need to get a letter from my doc before I can get a trainer. (I have heart problems)

Right now I am trying to do this on my own. I don't really understand this whole bulking thing. So I know to build muscles I need higher amounts of proteins and healthy cals. So since I am 109 I should eat 163.6grams of protein at least? I am at 17% body fat right now. I have been trying to eat more protein and train regularly... I naturally sit at a leaner built. my upper body is already pretty lean, I just got really skinny legs. Most of my extra weight is in my stomach. But since I used to box I have a strong core, just some fat over my abs. So my tummy is harder but fat... if that makes sense....

Also after I "bulk up" how do I "cut"? I probably sounds so ignorant right now... I know nothing about this.
  • TheRealBruceWayne
    Options
    A protein powder is a great addition to the diet of anyone looking to lose weight, gain muscle, or just be more physically fit. On a $ per gram of protein basis it's extremely cheap and its one of the best ways to add protein without adding the other macros which will help you control them a little better.

When you're looking for a protein an isolate is probably your best bet. Like any food you buy look at the nutrition label. If it's more than 150 calories per scoop (assuming at least 20g of protein) then it has too much filler. Protein powders can still have significant carbs and cholesterol if you don't pay attention.
  • urbliss777
    Options
    Yeah, I do drink those. I rather eat food. I used to like the shakes but now they just seem so sweet to me... I usually got GNC. But my Brother uses Allmax All whey, that taste better to me...
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I just joined this site a few hours ago after having it referred to me by a friend. Really liking it so far, my main goal is to tone up gain a minimum of 10 pounds of muscle. I'm 22/f weighing 129 pounds. I used to be really fit and have muscle but the past couple years I've been slacking and now I'm trying to make up for lost time. I'm eating a lot (healthy foods) and started drinking muscle milk (the powder). What protein powder would you guys recommend other than that? I don't really know what protien powder is most effective for gaining muscle, I just drink the muscle milk cause that's what my dad drinks.
    Right now I'm doing workouts on www.hasfit.com - best site ever by the way, it has workout routines for cardio, muscle building, abs, and strength, and they also have meal plans for gaining healthy weight. And I'm also going to the gym to do the weight machines, and also free weights, I go off the hasfit workout routine for excercises and reps.

Any advice on what else I could do to tone up?

It's a slow process...half a pound a week for a man...a quarter of a pound a week for a woman. If you go faster than that, you might get extra fat gain.

I learned that caloric surplus is key. For me, that means weighing/measuring food and logging exercise calories. If you're eating at maintenance, -200 cal is probably a good place to start. I've been at this for over 2 months now, and am at -350 calories.

I also learned that I was getting enough protein easily in my normal diet.

The other key is exercise. If I don't lift, I don't gain, despite continuing to eat.

It really is that simple!

btw, after 8-10 weeks and 6 lbs, I'm starting to see increased muscle definition.
  • Xtrobelights
    Xtrobelights Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm having trouble eating a lot everyday...most days I can eat around 2,500 to 3,000 but today was one of those days where I didn't eat much I only got about 2,000 in. It was kind of a crazy stressful day and I wasn't home much but still, I need to work on being consistent with the food. Working out consistently is no problem though.