Best tips to help boating?

Options
Hey Guys,

I'm chasing some tips to help with bloating.. Not boating hahaha :bigsmile:

Cheers :smile:

Replies

• Fitfabchic29
    Options
    Milk products can cause bloating & also Gluten as well. You may Not even know if you have a sensitivity to gluten or dairy. I've 90% cut out Gluten and dairy from my diet and OMG it has made a difference. I've been using Almond Milk (I'm not sure if you have a Trader Joes where you live but there brand is the best in my opinion). Since I love bread, I still eat it but I eat Gluten Freen bread I stead. Udi's Gluten Free is really good.

Peppermint tea is helpful for bloating as well is asparagus & dandelion tea.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    drink water..lots of it..it will help release all of the water weight that you have stored up ...

I just came back from vacation and had about two pound gain from water retention/bloat ..spent all weekend slamming water and other fluids, and by this morning was down a pound and a half in reduced bloat...
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys,

I'm chasing some tips to help with boating...

Are you watching the America's cup race? They really know their boat stuff for sure. I'd say keep the hull facing down, the sail up, and the wind at your back.

americas1.jpg
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    bump for more tips
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    tortuga
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
    Hey Guys,

Are you watching the America's cup race? They really know their boat stuff for sure. I'd say keep the hull facing down, the sail up, and the wind at your back.

americas1.jpg
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys,

americas1.jpg

Good shoes are important to make sure you have a good grip on the deck.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    always bring lots of booze when boating. sunscreen comes in handy too. and probably a hat.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    drink water..lots of it..it will help release all of the water weight that you have stored up ...

I just came back from vacation and had about two pound gain from water retention/bloat ..spent all weekend slamming water and other fluids, and by this morning was down a pound and a half in reduced bloat...

^^^
    This for sure
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I found this video very helpful!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bngGgqdtVg
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    I'd keep at least one life jacket per person and one extra on hand. Non-skid shoes. Sunscreen. :)

For bloating, try to isolate the offending item by adding new items to your diet slowly, so you can figure out what's causing it. Eating smaller quantities of something might be OK while too much will cause problems. Bloating can also be caused by acid reflux (it is in my case, and I have no other symptoms of GERD) which can be managed medically or by diet. Good luck!
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys,

americas1.jpg

Good shoes are important to make sure you have a good grip on the deck.

And, American's cup boats have come a long way since that photo was taken:

9184210.jpg
  • Davina_JH
    Davina_JH Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    <<<---

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMsNq3F-wdDIQALxhyfO4jB4dOHEZyBvgi4QmA7lOwrljP0zN1
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Your going to want to make sure you trim up your genoa. If in doubt switch to a jib.
  • Mistyfied_MD
    Mistyfied_MD Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    If you really meant boating, I have no advice, lol.

If you meant bloating:
    Eat a banana. Or a salad with lots of greens and tomatoes. Or even a glass of low-sodium V8 vegetable juice. I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this.

We all know that sodium increases water retention. So, reducing sodium is one tip. Reducing sodium may help prevent some bloating to begin with, and avoid exacerbating it if you're already bloated.

However, sodium is not the only piece of the puzzle, and this seems to be something most people aren't aware of. Sodium is balanced by potassium in the body. Whereas Sodium has to do with fluid retention, potassium is responsible for balance in the other direction--shedding fluid.

For this reason, potassium is also very helpful in lowering blood pressure in many cases; that's actually how I first learned of the effects of potassium.

Two major warnings to take with this information: If you have kidney problems, you need to avoid potassium. Also, a potassium overdose can kill you. If you have kidney problems, talk to your doctor. EAT potassium, don't take a pill. Apart from removing the possibility of an overdose, eating potassium-rich foods of course provide many other nutrients. You'll find this also does wonders for acid reflux.
  • Davina_JH
    Davina_JH Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    also,

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQWl2KXv2B3daRZFtKpsiyphY_7WvYmIVlYiWLy6Dnoa1RitWJJdg
  • bulletproofkasper
    bulletproofkasper Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hahahahaha :bigsmile: epic blonde moment!
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Ok, just spent the last 5 minutes google imaging America's cup. Speaking as a lifelong sailor, some of those boats and the things they do wih them bring my heart into my throat. I'm getting all clammy...

Maybe the OP needs to clarify what she means by bloating. There's intestinal bloating, and then there's water retention.

I'd rather talk about boating though.
  • 13suzie
    13suzie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    My best anti-bloating tips:

1. apple cider vinegar (I drink a shot of it straight up!)

2. Water moves water! Drink up but don't go too crazy...10 cups does the trick...but not at once, of course.

3. If you are really serious and can be super disciplined, try a day of nothing but grapefruit and eggs! Sounds whacko but it really works. I haven't done this in a long time, but I have done it before. Allow generous quantities of grapefruit and eggs so that it isn't a fasting day...you'll drop a few pounds of water simply by taking a day like this every once in awhile!
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    If a guy with a hook for a hand wants to board you...don't you let him. I learned that one the hard way.

Hope that helps with the bloating. I don't know a damned thing about boats so I can't answer your question there.