10,000 steps per day?

Options
I know about the guideline 10,000 steps per day. I'd like to get in 10,000 steps a day but I'm a college student and I'm often sitting down doing work. I do get in at least 30 minutes of exercise 4-6 days a week though, including strength and weight training. I'm able to do this because I'm usually free in the evenings. It's 4 pm and my pedometer says so far I've taken just 3,100 steps but since I exercise separately most days could that be my equivalent to doing 10,000 steps per day or do I have to exercise AND do 10,000 steps per day to not be sedentary? That seems like a lot.

Oh, and I don't want to lose weight. I just want to maintain and stay at a healthy activity level.

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Based on currently available evidence, we propose the following preliminary indices be used to classify pedometer-determined physical activity in healthy adults: (i). <5000 steps/day may be used as a 'sedentary lifestyle index'; (ii). 5000-7499 steps/day is typical of daily activity excluding sports/exercise and might be considered 'low active'; (iii). 7500-9999 likely includes some volitional activities (and/or elevated occupational activity demands) and might be considered 'somewhat active'; and (iv). >or=10000 steps/day indicates the point that should be used to classify individuals as 'active'. Individuals who take >12500 steps/day are likely to be classified as 'highly active'.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14715035

So no, you don't need to get to 10000 before you leave Sedentary. 30 mins - 1 hour of exercise is probably enough on days where you don't get over 5000 steps, to bump you up to lightly active.
  • Med student here (whhhy am I on the forums again?). I can't always hit my 10,000 steps, but I sometimes just walk in place or around my apartment while studying. Just be careful you don't run into things!
  • Shellz31
    Shellz31 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I just read this the other day:

http://www.latimes.com/health/la-he-10k-steps-walking-20130907,0,1093349.story

Quote: "The 10,000-step daily goal originated decades ago in Japan and has gained momentum in recent years in the United States, in part thanks to all the cool little tracking devices on the market. But many experts are looking at our walks in another way that could be easier to track and less intimidating: Walk for 30 minutes, five days a week. (One half-hour walk on its own is significantly less than 10,000 steps.)"

I do think it's pretty easy to up the steps. When still taking classes, I used to pace while reading. Also simple things like parking far away or taking the long way to your next class can add up quickly :) I admit though, I probably only hit 10,000 about 3-4 days a week. I'm a work in progress.
  • agcarden1
    agcarden1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I recently jumped on the fitbit bandwagon and have been struggling getting 10k steps. However, recently I've started pacing while watching tv or doing other typically sedentary activities. For example, as I write this post im pacing back and forth with my ipad! Gotta keep an eye on the dog in the floor, and the occasional doorway that jumps out at me...
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I aim for 10k steps per day and lately, I've been pretty good at hitting my mark :wink:
    I do 5 30 minute dog walks per day (professional pet sitter) and that in addition to doing at least 30 minutes worth of housework + walking around the gym during weight training usually puts me at the 10k mark.

I wear my fitbit 24 hours a day so I count every. single. step. :laugh:

eta: I've found hooping also increases steps....each revolution of the hoop counts as 1 step :blushing:
  • WenHurley
    WenHurley Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I sit at a desk all day and my commute is about 1-1/2 hrs each way. I try to walk as much as possible when I take a break. I also try to go for a walk of at least a mile or play Just Dance for the Wii. I live in the middle of the desert so we have to wait until later in the evening to walk for a large portion of the year. When it's cooler out I take a walk around the parking lot during my lunch break to help get in my 10K steps.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I just read this the other day:

http://www.latimes.com/health/la-he-10k-steps-walking-20130907,0,1093349.story

Quote: "The 10,000-step daily goal originated decades ago in Japan and has gained momentum in recent years in the United States, in part thanks to all the cool little tracking devices on the market. But many experts are looking at our walks in another way that could be easier to track and less intimidating: Walk for 30 minutes, five days a week. (One half-hour walk on its own is significantly less than 10,000 steps.)"

I do think it's pretty easy to up the steps. When still taking classes, I used to pace while reading. Also simple things like parking far away or taking the long way to your next class can add up quickly :) I admit though, I probably only hit 10,000 about 3-4 days a week. I'm a work in progress.

I agree about it being easy to up the steps. Classes require a lot of walking. And you just have to consciously add it in.

I do a brisk 3.5 mile walk every evening (45 minutes). It's around 6000 steps. Pedometers really help me (I currently use a Fitbit zip). It tells me even though I think I walk a lot I spend too much time sitting. I even used it as the starting point for my blog on Psychology Today: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/thinking-about-kids/201006/the-science-intervention-when-trying-help-hurts-kids

I also got a standing desk and a Pilates ball chair, both of which help with muscle tone and just moving.