How much do you spend on food?

Options

Replies

• jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    1500 a month. Protein is expensive.

I sure hope you added an extra 0. If not, I can't imagine how one person could spend the that much on food.

I know we have spent that much before, meat is expensive, when you are on a high protein diet, easy to add up, i added up my debits online for august , it was $1200 .....that was an expensive month...keep your receipts , you will be surprised.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    425 per month for 3 adults and 3 kids...includes all 3 meals for everyone each day. Included in that is all paper products, health and beauty items, plus dog food for a small dog.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    1500 a month. Protein is expensive.

I sure hope you added an extra 0. If not, I can't imagine how one person could spend the that much on food.

I know we have spent that much before, meat is expensive, when you are on a high protein diet, easy to add up, i added up my debits online for august , it was $1200 .....that was an expensive month...keep your receipts , you will be surprised.

I'm never surprised by what I spend on groceries. We have a very tight budget with very little wiggle room. We have four kids, there is no room for surprise. $1500 is almost twice what we spend in a month. But, like I said in my post, my husband is a hunter. The elk he got last year lasted until just about a week ago, so meat isn't something we have to worry too much about.
  • emelia_
    Options
    I spend about 30 dollars a week, I'm in college and on a strict budget! I eat a LOT of rice and lentils, have almond milk, plenty of veggies and I buy one main thing of protein a week (fish/chicken/beef) and some lunch meats,bread and cheese.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    You really don't want to know.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I live in western Canada for a reference point and I spend around $60 per week.
  • Kasmira0004
    Kasmira0004 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Around $800/mo for our family of four. My husband travels for work so his food is road food/wal-mart stockpile trips so it gets expensive quick with him.
  • Coffeeplz_123z
    Coffeeplz_123z Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    We are a family of four...myself, my husband and two teenage boys! I spend anywhere between $1500-$2000/month!! Drives me crazy! We don't eat out alot and I don't by pre-packaged meals, we cook from scratch for pretty much everything.
  • ddeegan1991
    Options
    For just me and my husband, I spend anywhere between 400-600 a month. Fresh fruits and veggies are expensive. Just think about it, this past week i bough red and yellow bell peppers for $1 each, for 3 peppers i could have bought a whole bag of chips. Eating clean is definitely more expensive than eating junk.
  • irunforcookies
    irunforcookies Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    We spend about $500 a month for 8 people. We have a huge garden, and buy our canned and frozen foods in bulk a few times a year, so that helps. We eat out 1-2 times a month on top of that, and that is usually about $100.
  • ashleyinthecold
    ashleyinthecold Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    For just me (forever alooone...), I budget $60/week, but I often spend between $80 and $100. I only spent $67 this week.. I was so excited!
  • cstoney2013
    cstoney2013 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My budget is 600 per month, but that does not include eating out or protien powder etc.. and for a family of four... reading this post it seems pretty inexpensive.
  • jadedhippo
    jadedhippo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    $30-$50 for me.

I buy my fruits and veges from a local fruit&veg shop which is usually cheaper than the supermarket
  • MickeyBoo
    MickeyBoo Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Feeding a family of 7 here and I spend $200-$250 a week, that includes meat, fruit and veg, toiletries, cleaning, nappies etc I don't find that eating healthier costs more if you shop sensibly and if you're not buying crap for your partner or kids and change their diets too then there's no 'extra' spend if that makes sense. LOL Our fruit and veg is from a local supplier and I buy in bulk when I can, but not as much as I'd like to as we lack storage space. There is zero wastage at our house, we have chooks for eggs and they eat the kitchen scraps, dogs eat any leftover bits that aren't worth keeping as leftovers.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Way too much!! About $800 a month for 2 adults & 2 little girls. I'm always at the damn shop :grumble:
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'm probably in the $80-120 range per week for one person. It's a lot, but eating right is important to me, and vegetables are expensive!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    wow with a few exceptions you people eat cheap...

Family of 3 in eastern Canada for a reference

at least 800$ a month....minimum...

19 year old man child
    31 year old husband
    and me the weight lifting mom.

That does not include eating out which is done about once a week.

And it could be more if I wasn't the shopper. We buy items on sale and freez them ie meat, cheese, butter.

As for homemade...it's actually more expensive to make my bread then buy it but I still do a lot homemade...
  • strongmindstrongbody
    Options
    Way too much!! About $800 a month for 2 adults & 2 little girls. I'm always at the damn shop :grumble:

Hmm, if that's way too much, then my family's total is in the way, way too much category. :blushing: I'd be thrilled to get the bill under $1,000 a month. I still have hope, even though the kids are eating more than ever and it's only going to get worse as they reach the teen years. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll make friends with kids whose parents have stocked fridges and an open-door policy. :laugh:
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Holy moly! Some people are making me feel WAY less bad about what I spend on my food budget.

My boyfriend and I ballpark close to $500-550/month and this usually includes a couple (3-4) meals out for the month.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I spend about $250-$300 a month for our family of 3. I got to sams club first to stock up on meat, frozen veggies and cheese and get produce at our local grocery store.