Using plain nonfat yogurt for dressing substitute

Options
I've been trying to use nonfat yogurt as a substitute for different things, but I can't seem to get rid of the bad under-taste. One recipe I had was with garlic, paprika, and lemon juice to make a dressing. I could taste the yogurt through all the other ingredients, though, and it was kind of nasty tasting on my vegetables. Is there any way to not taste the yogurt without having to add something fattening like mayonnaise or sour cream? I'd really rather keep the fat to a total minimum. And I didn't strain the yogurt, because my fiance said he didn't want it that way for some reason (he's never tried it before and isn't trying to lose weight like me - he just likes trying new stuff). Could it be better if I were to strain it? Are there any other ingredients I can add that may help with the taste, like mustard? I also want to try making a ranch dressing with it by using ranch powder mix. I've only been experimenting to begin and would love to get some advice from those who've tried this.

If anyone doesn't mind some fat, I have found that mixing the nonfat plain yogurt with an equal amount of real ranch dressing cuts down on the calories and still tastes basically the same. I used 1 tbsp of each and mixed the two. If I can't avoid the fat totally, I may try 1 part real ranch dressing to 2 parts nonfat plain yogurt...basically as little as I can get away with while it still tasting decent.

Replies

• trackme
    trackme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    that's a good question....mixing ranch spices with greek does taste surprisingly good, but yeah, there is that "tang" thats hard to get rid of.
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I tried to force myself to eat ranch dressing made with Greek yogurt, but it is far too bitter for my taste. I'll watch this thread to see if there are ways around that.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I used a package of ranch seasoning from hidden valley and mixed it with the yogurt. ITs good.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I tried to make ranch dressing with yogurt and a ranch packet.....it was disgusting.
  • Nurse_Christy
    Nurse_Christy Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I tried to make some too, and threw it all away after one taste. Yuck. I have found though that Walmart's Marketside brand has a line of yogurt-based dressings that are really good. The chipotle ranch is my favorite, and only 25 cals for a serving. The buttermilk ranch is pretty good too and I think 40 cals a serving. Not exactly sure on the fat, but it's pretty low.
  • gle7442
    Options
    I really like plain yogurt on salad... I picked the idea up from an Albanian friend and now I really like it. The point isn't to hide the taste of the yogurt though, so if you don't like plain yogurt to begin with it probably wouldn't work. You can dress greens with yogurt mixed with minced garlic, dill or other herbs like green onions, salt, and olive oil.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I make a simple tzatziki recipe with greek yogurt cucumber and lots of minced garlic.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I typically mix the plain greek yougurt with picante sauce.

I find it works great on salads and wraps.
  • CarmenDsewell
    Options
    Try mixing your own ranch dressing with the dry mix, low fat buttermilk, and light Hellmann's mayo. You'll a creamy and delicious dressing for not a lot of calories. Yum! Yum!... Live a little:)