Replies

• Kimsoontobe
    Kimsoontobe Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Okay thank you
  • ecka723
    ecka723 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    No I don't have high blood pressure just trying not to have it. I'm burnt out on Mrs Dash.
    Salt doesn't cause high blood pressure.

But some people who are at risk of high blood pressure (who are overweight, have a family history of hbp, etc.) are recommended to limit sodium intake to help keep blood pressure down and not be diagnosed with it.

Just sayin'.
  • jolt28
    jolt28 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I like to use mild Pace Picante Sauce on my eggs. It really gives them flavor. I cook the scrambled eggs first, then spoon some over the top!

Reg Pace is not that low sodium.

Pace does make a garlic lime verde salsa that is lower salt though.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I use a lot of cumin, corriander, garam masala, garlic powder, onion powder, and ground chile pepper that is just the chiles, not the mix of spices. Sriracha is great if you like a bit of spice or try ground chipotle powder for a smoky burn.
  • uvonne610
    uvonne610 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    What kind of foods do you like? If your eating some of the same foods over and over it could just be your body asking for a change. I had the same thing happen. There was something I ate way to often and ended up getting sick of it I just had to switch it up.
  • bobbinalong
    bobbinalong Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Sirachi sauce and red thai chili paste, I haven't looked at the sodium level. Horseradish, not the stuff mixed with mayo, these are some I like.
  • reddaddie
    reddaddie Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    you might try tarragon in scrambled eggs, makes yummy omelets.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    There are already lots of great spices listed here, but I would just note that you can just google something like "recipes with turmeric (or curry, or corriander, or whatever) and browse around. Or allrecipes.com is a really good site with thousands of recipes with tons of reviews and you can narrow you search for apple pie to include nutmeg, for instance. (That wasn't very inventive, was it? lol) Or google them that way..."apple pie recipes with nutmeg."

Then you can experiment with different spices and see how you prefer them - in a sweet or savory dish, for instance, or with sweet potatoes or on eggs. Or you can learn new ways to spice up your old favorites.

The Winco suggestion was great because they have dozens of spices and herbs and seasoning mixes for a fraction of the cost of what's on the shelf in the spice aisle....and you can buy as little or as much as you want to use in a single recipe or to refill a bottle or to experiment with.

Play with fruits and fresh herbs and different veggies....cook them different ways. Roasting veggies will bring out a natural sweetness or nuttiness, for instance.

Just have fun with it. And yeah, sodium in general isn't a problem for most people...but salt isn't the only way to season food, either. Enjoy!
  • Steph_in_Mississippi
    Options
    You may do well with buying garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, cumin, ground chili flakes, and other spices and mixing up your own flavors. That way you can control the sodium.

The spices I have listed above are great for chili. Also exclude the chili powder and that seasoning is good for fajitas. Just a thought. Good luck.
  • sknapstein
    sknapstein Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Curry paste, Old Bay Seasoning, garlic salt, lemon pepper, mixes of rubs. Try Asian food stores for the curry paste, Old Bay should be in the meat department of your favorite grocery. Other mixes you can often get at health food stores in the bulk section (my Winco has them - love the bulk section!)

...most of those things carry LOADS of sodium...

Definitely these are full are sodium. Plain spices, vinegar, fresh lemon, herbs, etc... fresh anything for that matter. Of course these are adding the flavor of each individual ingredient and not necessary "salt flavor". I just add various spices to add flavor to whatever I'm making.
  • drams5
    Options
    Penzey's Spices has several salt-free blends that are delicious. I like Mrs. Dash, but have found several from Penzey's that I like better. If you go to their website they have suggested uses, recipes, etc. for all of their blends.
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Food tastes good without salt or spices. If it tastes bland to you, that's just because you have gotten too used to having your taste buds overstimulated. Go without salt or spices for a while, and you will discover that food tastes good all by itself. Once you get used to the taste of food again, and then you try salt, you will realize how salt actually destroys the good taste of your food.
  • ckish
    ckish Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I rarely use salt because there are so many other seasoning options. Just experiment and find out what flavor profiles you like. Even within spices there are variations. For example - there is a huge difference between McCormick's paprika, Hungarian paprika, smoked paprika, and hot paprika. There is also a huge difference between the quality of different brands of basil. So, if you try something and do not like it don't be afraid to try it again in some other manner.
  • 141by2016
    Options
    Food tastes good without salt or spices. If it tastes bland to you, that's just because you have gotten too used to having your taste buds overstimulated. Go without salt or spices for a while, and you will discover that food tastes good all by itself. Once you get used to the taste of food again, and then you try salt, you will realize how salt actually destroys the good taste of your food.

Wars were fought over salt and pepper for a reason good sir! I will have to respectfully disagree, to the extent that some foods need a little punch. ;)

As to the sodium issue, about 30% of people are salt sensitive, meaning high sodium, especially in absence of potassium and magnesium, increases blood pressure. if you have no history of hypertension, salt added to home made foods is not going to be a problem, especially when using sea salt. The issue tends to come into play when you are eating a lot of processed foods with high sodium content and lacking in other trace nutrients, and you happen to be sensitive to sodium. That being said, try to cultivate an appreciation for tastes other than salty.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    The worry about sodium really gets overdone unless there's a true medical reason why you need to cut it down.

The thing about reducing salt is not that you have to live without salt flavor. The most salt is in processed foods--breads, crackers--where you don't even taste it a lot of the time. If you just salt your own food rather than eating a lot of processed foods, you get a lot more salt flavor for a lot less salt. Reason: The salt is on the surface, touching your taste buds. Go ahead. You'll be fine. I also find that high-quality salt, like the Himalayan pink salt that you grind in a grinder at the table, has a lot more flavor and a lot better flavor, so you use less.
  • danger2oneself2
    danger2oneself2 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Mrs dash has a zero-sodium seasoning and it is fuking fantastik!
  • UmmSulaimaan
    UmmSulaimaan Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Personally I prefer the healthier version of Ms. Dash, its called Spike and you can get the low sodium version. It is also great in salads!!