10km Running Progress:From 82mins to a 47min PB.

Options

Replies

• jeets888
    jeets888 Posts: 2,237 Member
    Options
    Am i allowed to give my own post a bump?
  • carolose46
    carolose46 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    beautiful story! you earned it and you deserve good in your life. congrats! very inspiring ;)
  • Canuck_TriFit
    Canuck_TriFit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Great story! I love what the doctor said to you. Congratulations on your success!
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You should be proud!
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You should be proud!
  • lgrix
    lgrix Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, you are on an amazing journey. Great job with your progress.
  • KnickersInATwist
    KnickersInATwist Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Congratulations thats a great achievement!

Great doctor too btw- what a fantastic analogy. Never thought of it like that before!
  • jeets888
    Options
    thanks all for the show of good faith. Much appreciated.
  • jeets888
    Options
    Going for a bump - not sure if will make a difference lol!
  • suzyfj8
    suzyfj8 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    That is amazing! Very inspiring well done :)
  • jeets888
    Options
    Thanks Suzy ... you doing an amazing job yourself!
  • jeets888
    Options
    May i give this a bump seeing as its been more than a week ....
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    i dream on being able to run 10k in one go, let alone under 50 minutes
  • jeets888
    Options
    With practice you will definitely get there!
  • jeets888
    Options
    Small bump
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Inspiring story! I am glad your hard work is paying off. Enjoy your new healthy lifestyle!
  • jeets888
    Options
    Thanks - with your minimalist shoes im sure you must be running at a cracking pace!
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Really well done. Great read. :drinker:
  • scward1991
    scward1991 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    So, yesterday (15.09.13) i had my best run since i started running (wouldnt neccessarily consider myself an ardent runner but rather someone looking to be fit/cross fit) a year and a half odd ago.

Ok so here goes my running and fitness story - If you make it to the end, well done. Just feel so inspired after this weekend, thought I'd journal it :happy:

Started my journey in August 2011. Just some background information though - Somewhere in 2009 i was sickly and suprise surprise my sugar levels was at 23 (normal is 4-6), liver was not in great shape and pressure was high. For a then 26 year old, that was pathetic but my life was in a downward spiral (for reasons i am not comfortable divulging in this forum) - so i was diabetic and had HB Pressure, started taking the medication but did not change my lifestyle or really anything - just took medication which can only help so much but ahh well, i was not bothered - we all going to die sometime right is what i kept saying ... all these people obsessed with health but i was creating memory after memory one party at a time, my life rocked or so i told myself. (If you look into my profile pics will see me at my heaviest - the picture where im carrying a KEG is like the height of my 'downward spiral').

For about two years after my diagnosis i changed nothing about myself but for some reason in August 2011, i made an appointment with the physician. I cant recall right now what my reason was but none the less something told me that hey, maybe there is more to life than this. Met with the physician and what a suprsing/life changing visit that was. His words still haunt me today/forever etched within me. So he sits me down and the conversation was something like this:

Physician: Why are you here today?
    Me: Because i would like to be healthier.
    Physician: Why?
    Me: Because im tired of being obese and have all these ailments (i dont recall all my words but i do his)
    Me: Because i want to change my life - i cant keep on going the way i am, im in a bad place.
    Me: Someone ended up telling him sone of my problems .. (this took me by suprise, he pushed me to a level where i was uncomfortable but it was a relief getting it out as well)
    Physician Ok, so you here now, the past has happened. Life is like a highway, sometimes, we miss our offramp, we drive a bit too far but its never too late to turn back. So, like you are here seeing me, you realise you have taken the wrong offramp. All that happens now is that you turn back and head back to where you were supposed to be. This just means its going to take a little longer but you will get there.

WOW - i was so touched by these words because im used to Doctors just seeing you for the cash and lets be honest not really caring but these words satyed with me because the message of HOPE was loud and clear. I was motivated, after visiting him - i went straight to the gym and signed up ... something inside me said, this is it - we changing our life!

So from August 2011 i started at the gym. My threadmill session lasted no longer than 8 mins walking on 6km/hours. The thought of running on a threadmill scared me, i always admired all the people running thjinking wow, these guys are good. Typical gym sessions when i started was 30mins (8 odd mins walking on a threadmill, 8 mins on a stepper, 8 mins on the eliptical and few mins here and there).Weighing in at 96-97kgs for a 1.68 was a little disastrous for my gym sessions but i had dedication - i was going to do this. Started shedding the odd kg every now and then (didnt go too drastic with my diet because i wanted something sustainable for the long run) and kept at it at the gym. The other thing i badly wanted to do was a spinning session as i used to see all these people coming out of the class all sweaty and tired but i never had the courage to go for it, thought i'd be a fool but none the less told myself i would do the class eventually. (Started spinning in November 2011 but not with extreme resistance).

So -Febraury 2012, i asked my friend if we could try a road run for some practice and for me to see how it felt. Remember after 100 or so meters my lungs were clapping, my legs were feeling weird but none the less kept up with a jog and walk ... more walk than jog but this was a start. Ever the enthusiast decided in April 2012 that i will attempt a 10km Nike night race in Johannnesburg (first one in South Africa). I remember running/jogging for mabout 800ms and then taking a walk break. Continued with my running and walking and completed the race in 1hr36mins but it did take 15 mins to cross the start line so officially about 1hr21mins to finish my first 10km race. None the less, it felt great, crossing that finishing line is an unbelievable feeling. I knew then that this would not be my last 10km. Was about 88-90kgs at this point in time.

So continued with gym/running/spinning/bootcamp type classes and healthier eating .... fast forward to this weekend:

Weighing in at 74kgs's .... Saturday morning 5:00am Warming up at home and stretching with push ups and crunches. 550am: 11 km road run in under an hour with a group. 7:00m Spinning class. 745: Bootcamp. 3HRS or awesomeness. Woke up Sunday and went for a 10km road race that i completed in 47mins40s.

Imagine hey - from 82 odd mins to 47mins and i had my best run ever. Started off slowly with my first 3kms in 14mins40secs and slowly picked up my pace. At 9kms i was at 42mins30secs and completed in 47mins. I was never overtaken during the race but overtook people - this means i was able to maintain my pace and speed up towards the end. I'm just so elated that i needed to put this out there. Whether or not it is read, i guess is inconsequential but appreciated none the less (if that makes sense). Oh, and i am able to now also spin without holding the handles. Been called fit by instructors anmd yeah there is so much too share. So if anyone is beginning their journey, just remember, its a marathon, not a sprint ... with hard work and dedication, anything and i mean anything is possible. Believe in yourself ... you are what matters! You! This coming from a person called nothing but a piece of LARD, the common couch potatoe ...if i can, anybody can!

PASSION ALWAYS!

This is so encouraging!! Especially as I am just starting to train up to do 10K - starting off doing 5K 3 times a week and going to increase it from there, but this is really encouraging to read! Well done for sticking with it!!!
  • jeets888
    Options
    Thank you Size and SCward - Appreciated.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!