I'm starting to freak out!

Options
I have a little less than 7 weeks until my first half marathon....

And I'm really starting to FREAK OUT! :indifferent:

Am I training enough? Am I training correctly? Will I be able to finish?

This isn't my first freak out moment, I've had a few! But the time is narrowing down! The more i research training for a half, there are so many different training plans! It just makes me wonder if I chose the right one.? Am I working hard enough? Training hard enough?

HELP!

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'm five weeks out, so up the intensity for me a little more. Also some perspective. The last two weeks have made me wonder if I was capable. The last run assured me that I'll be ok. Maybe not great, but ok. I'm not sure what *your* goals are, but I have an 80% chance of making it in under the course cut-off. And I have 5 more weeks to train. You'll be ok. I'll be ok. We're all ok.

Also: massage.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I have a little less than 7 weeks until my first half marathon....

And I'm really starting to FREAK OUT! :indifferent:

Am I training enough? Am I training correctly? Will I be able to finish?

This isn't my first freak out moment, I've had a few! But the time is narrowing down! The more i research training for a half, there are so many different training plans! It just makes me wonder if I chose the right one.? Am I working hard enough? Training hard enough?

HELP!

Which plan did you choose? Are you sticking to it?
  • jay10587
    jay10587 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I found this plan online, after researching quite a few. It seemed to fit me the best as far as my ways of running go.

Heres my last few weeks:

Week 7- This week
    Mon (3mi easy pace)
    Tues (Strength)
    Wed (Speed intervals 3mi)
    Thurs (Strength)
    Fri (Yoga-I don't do yoga, usually do a good strength workout w a lot of core exercises)
    Sat- (9mi easy pace)
    Sun- Off

Week 8-
    Mon (Strength)
    Tues (3mi easy pace)
    Wed (Hill sprints)
    Thurs (Strength)
    Fri (Yoga-same deal)
    Sat- Run (11mi easy pace)
    Sun- Off

Week 9-
    Mon (5mi easy pace)
    Tues (Cross train)
    Wed (Speed intervals 3mi)
    Thurs (Strength)
    Fri (Yoga- same deal)
    Sat- Run (13.5 mi easy pace)
    Sun- Off

Week 10-
    Mon (5 mi)
    Tues (Strength)
    Wed (Speed intervals)
    Thurs (Strength)
    Fri- (yoga)
    Sat- (Run 11 mi easy pace)
    Sun- Off

etc
    etc

On my strength days, I usually lift some weights and do ab exercises and a few core work outs, planks and squats (with my own body weight).

I just hope it is gonna prepare me for this!

My longest run I have done so far was 7miles but I think I ran too fast because I was really sore after mile 5, my knees were bothering me. My pace was about 11:50/min miles. When I run my 9 miles on Sat, I'm really going to try to slow it down a bit and see if that helps. Also, I did it at 6am, which is super early for me. So i'm going to try it around 7am, since that will be the start time for my race.

Any suggestions for other things I should make sure I am incorporating in my workouts??
    I'm hoping to finish in 2:45
  • jay10587
    jay10587 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Forgot to add, this is a 12 week plan so there are 2 more weeks after week 10
  • Pinkgingham_19
    Pinkgingham_19 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    race day magic will get you there, no worries.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Firstly calm down, you've done training whether it be ideal or not you've done something therefore at the very least I'd expect you to finish it.

Personally I didn't use a training plan I just ran when I felt like running, ran as fast and as far as I wanted at that point in time depending on how my body felt. Did I freak out a little before my first half yes but then you have to trust what you've done and go with it. In the build up to it make sure that your last run is say 2weeks before the race itself and then throw in a few shorter runs in the build up from there on in, oh and Pasta the night before.

From my first half in March to my 3rd which was sunday I've shaved over 6mins from my time and about 30secs per mile on avg speed, best time being 1hr 38mins 59secs.

However, I'm a bit pot kettle black as I have my first marathon in on 20th October and well doubts have crept in but push push push and all will be ok :)
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    race day magic will get you there, no worries.

Agree 100%
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I think you're going to do great. You have a disciplined approach than I did for my first half, and you have the long runs in there with some core work. And yeah, race day magic will get you there. Looking forward to hearing about your success!
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    Don't overthink it, just do it! That's my plan anyway lol my first half is in 4 weeks and I don't feel ready but I'm still going to kick *kitten* lol
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're ever ready for your first half. But at least we'll be prepared. I think part of it is that we're not ready NOW, but we also have 7 (or 5) weeks left in our training.

That's like 3/4 of the Couch to 5k program - if you could walk a mile and could run for 30 seconds, you would be able to do a 25 minute run at the end of 7 weeks. That's a way bigger jump from where you are now to finishing a 1/2.